Thread: Bear Hide Transportation

Post Bear Hide Transportation

I'm returning to Arizona via Alaska Airlines from Wrangell, AK after my fall bear hunt. Although I've hunted many times, this is my first Alaska hunt. What is the most common way of getting your hide and skull back home? I was planning on freezing and bringing my fish home as baggage on the airplane. Anyone ever do that with their hides as well?

I brought a black bear hide and skull back in Sept. I made sure the hide was cleaned off as good as I could get it (fat). I then gave it a good salting for a few days. Throw in freezer and then get your self a cooler to use to transport it in. I checked mine is as bagage, first stop for me after I got off the plane was a taxidermist.

Exclamation sealing

make sure you get the hide sealed (inspected and tagged) by fish and game before you try to transport it out of state!!!

Redneck, Is that the hide Fred had to pack out for you along with his goat?.......hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Redneck, Is that the hide Fred had to pack out for you along with his goat?.......hehehe
    Is there a story here.... hmmmmmm

Default Cooler cost?

Quote Originally Posted by redneck5 View Post
    I brought a black bear hide and skull back in Sept. I made sure the hide was cleaned off as good as I could get it (fat). I then gave it a good salting for a few days. Throw in freezer and then get your self a cooler to use to transport it in. I checked mine is as bagage, first stop for me after I got off the plane was a taxidermist.
    What did that run you for cost by throwing it in a cooler and counting it as baggage?

Alaska Air charges $50 for a bag that weighs 100lbs, if this is one of your two free bags. So one bag at 50lbs for free and one at 100lbs for $50. If you pick up your luggage and recheck it somewhere along the way expect to pay $50 again. Within the state of Alaska you are authorized 3 bags at 50lbs or less on Alaska Air. As far a luggage I think Alaska Air is the best to fly with some won't even take bags at 100lbs. At least this is what it was in Feburary.

That is why I hunt with him. I packed his under britches all over the Mt for him.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post