Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No More Cow Hunts On The Rex Trail

Default No More Cow Hunts On The Rex Trail

We had a group meeting last night of all the A/Cs in the Unit 20-A area. Any one of which has the power to shut down the Cow Hunt. The only way the Middle Nenana and several of the Fairbanks group would agree to continuation of the Cow hunt was if all the zones along or reachable from the Rex Trail was shut down. Even after F&G showed the Moose are still there in high numbers, They were adement about shutting down the hunts along the Rex. I went into this meeting confident I could save the winter hunts at least. I was hoping for a November hunt, to gain access into the Wood River Controlled Use Area, where there is still a large number of cows.

At issue was the distruction of the Rex by the tired rigs from down south. I for one saw this coming and have to admit I am in agreement here. The Rex Trail is a fragile trail at the least. Not suitable for large tired vehicles. Nor is it suitable for heavy use by large tracked vehicle. If vehicle usage does not exceed a certain limit the trail will recover each year. The last eight or nine years, usage has exceeded those limits.

When I brought up the winter (November) hunt, I was blowen out of the water. No way. We can blame the Snow Machiners that was up there with in the last two weeks for that one. Someone went in and not only stole fur from a local trappers trap line, they stole the traps as well. Now this guy lives out there year round. Trapping is his lively hood. Someone stealing his traps was crossing the line.

Then they brought up dates and times, of how a snowmachiner, last week, ignored signs and ran across a homesteader's septic system with a snow machine. Thanks to that inconsiderate snowmachiner the family now has to once again use the outhouse. Since their septic system is now frozen, their indoor plumbing is now useless. Think about it, how would you feel if someone denied your family the use of your plumbing in your house for the winter. I'd be ticked, ready to shoot a snow machine myself.

So if you had plans to hunt Cow Moose along the Rex this coming season, forget it, aint going to happen.

These guys are screaming for DNR to shut down the Rex to anything over 1500 lbs. due to the abuse from large tired vehicles.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I agree with you that if large vehicles are causing damage to the terrain then they should be prohibited from using the trail. However, to close an entire hunt because of the actions of a few snowmachiners seems a lot like retribution is more important than the conservation of the wildlife (removing high cow numbers).

I hunt the trail on sled and I find it hard to believe there are the numbers of moose which they need to get out of the area. However that said, I'm glad for the opportunity to hunt the trail. We are careful to always respect other people's property and equipment, if two groups did stupid thing then you can not punish the masses. However I would be glad to see them retrict what can go down the trail as it continues to get torn up, I have only road it on sled so I don't see what it looks like in the fall however the ruts and dips get bigger ever year.

if they use that logic to shut down that hunt, there are ALOT of hunts state wide they'll have to shut down as well because someones toes got stepped on my some inconciderate person, i've had people drive thru my yard here in big lake, right up against my porch, but they didn't ban snowmachines....why should the guy who lives out by his lonesome have any different rights to sway an entire public hunt because one person trespassed....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default emotional issue

This just sounds like another emotional knee jerk reaction that is ever so common here. Oh, and also "At issue was the distruction of the Rex by the tired rigs from down south", please give me a break. Have you not driven around fairbanks and looked around. I have no problem with restrictions on vehicles types or weight limits. But when these moose overbrowse and the moose are scarce how are they going to complain to Fish and Game(it wont be the first time). It's BS, and as far as banning all snow machines because 2 idiots committed crimes is like me spanking my daughter for something her classmate did. Sorry for the individual's family that had the damage done to their personal property and the people it will effect next year who will have a harder time getting their subsistance for next winter. These should require people to purchase a permit to hunt the trail or come up with another approach that is common sense based.

Terry

Not that I don't believe it but how can a septic system be ruined by a snowmachine driving over it in winter. I drive my BIGRIG over mine all the time and right now it's parked on top of the septic system. Should I move my BIGRIG?

Default Septic tank

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Not that I don't believe it but how can a septic system be ruined by a snowmachine driving over it in winter. I drive my BIGRIG over mine all the time and right now it's parked on top of the septic system. Should I move my BIGRIG?
    I believe they are saying the since the snowmachine drove over where the septic tank or line to it, it compacted the snow and thus taking away the insulating layer that protected it from the 50 below. Weight I don't believe was the issue here.

i wonder if the tired rigs from UP NORTH will still be allowed to hunt...lol
    ummm i wouldn't park my big rig on top of my septic, my dad strongly advised me not to do that.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I believe they are saying the since the snowmachine drove over where the septic tank or line to it, it compacted the snow and thus taking away the insulating layer that protected it from the 50 below. Weight I don't believe was the issue here.
    Oh I get it. Some guy who was too lazy to bury his pipes to the proper depth helped get a moose hunt called off

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i wonder if the tired rigs from UP NORTH will still be allowed to hunt...lol
    ummm i wouldn't park my big rig on top of my septic, my dad strongly advised me not to do that.
    my house is built on the side of a mountain in scree. broken small rock nearly impossible to compact. I could park a skyscraper over my septic and not compact it

perfect.
    i know here where i live i have alot of ground water at six feet down, someone building cabin in the middle of knowhere ain't gonna dig by hand a huge septic so relying on the insulation of the snow is a risk anyway but the point isn't that his septic is broke, its that someone was carelss and ignorant enough to be driving around in his yard...back in the day they just hung piano wire instead of getting hunts closed...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Wasn't it last winter that Anchorage pipes were breaking from the cold? And they are 6 maybe 9 feet deep. If the insulating snow above pipes gets compacted it drives the frost deeper into the ground. If you didn't live in the banana belt you'd know that

Unfortunate we all have to pay for a couple morons mistakes

Question ?????

Just curious -- Why is it when someone does something bad, stupid, illeagel, etc..., they are always from down south. True a large number of hunters and recreationers from southern areas head north to "play" but doesn't anyone from the north head south to do the same? I'll have to remember the next time I'm out claming or beach combing that everyone I see doing something stupid or illegel is from further south than me. Obviously if they are from the same longitude or futher north than they wouldn't do ANYTHING that wasn't the right thing for nature or sociatey.
    GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!! Sure, some people went up north and did things they shouldn't have but not all of the people heading north did wrong. Same as those who live in the Rex area and further north coming south to recreate!

I never once saw a big wheeled swamp buggy in Fairbanks, North Pole, Delta or Tok (sarcasm)

I don't see too many recreational snowmobiles with the capabilty of ripping off furs and traps unless they are towing a sled. How many weekenders do you see riding around towing freight sleds?

I think alot more people come north then go south. I have seen people from down south set bear baits out up here before. Just my thoughts.

I think the septic problems is probably folks driving over their leaching fields, supposable this can cause issues. If you have stayed at the Rochester Lodge you probably saw his signs and effort they have taken to keep people off the leaching field around the lodge.

I think I should buy 20 acres back there and have an open invite to anyone on the AOD. Then I'll recomend that anyone who doesn't use blue board on they're shallow septic can't hunt moose.

IS THIS HOW THE MOOSE MANAGEMENT WORKS. Good thing those guys arent in charge of the Kenai. They would shut down the whole river because some riverfront owner would complain that the boats are too noisy.

A run over septic and some stolen furs have NOTHING to do with moose management. The septic has to do with trespassing and the furs have to do with theft.

Does the guy who has the septic problem own a snowmachine? Is he willing to give up his to comply with a snowmachine ban. Or will he get a special(bullshirt) use permit?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default stirring up crap

I'll be hunting up there next year..... there is one person that lives back off the Rex that stirs up crap every year with someone. He wants to have all that land back there for his own personal hunting grounds... just can't buy the BS reasons given to end the cow hunt. But that's OK we all need to make a good showing for BULL MOOSE and small game and any reason you can to go back and just camp and visit

As for the septic system, I'm sure it was either the line to it or the leach field. Either one would freeze if someone drove across them and compacted the snow. I have owned this house for 25 years and never had a frozen line till last year. Of course I had never driven across the system or lines to it. Last year my son drove across the line just out from the house. He did not think anything about it. Next day when the wife took a shower the tub backed up. Frozen line to the septic tank, called Big Foot. Shoveled snow back over tracks and Big Foot thawed the pipe. No more problem.

Now maybe all is not lost yet. The guy from middle Nenana A/C gave his testamony today. I and a few others will be giving ours tomorrow and sunday. Maybe we can offset the things he said. I am shooting for a winter (November) hunt in zone 4, all of Zone 4. We will see what happens. The biologist gave their information today and said there is still to many Moose in that area. And under questioning the guy from middle Nenana could not answer the questions since he had not been into the area himself. When a board member asked him if anyone from the area had gone out with the F&G people to see for themselves the numbers there he again could not answer the question.

As for the tired rigs. No one used tired rigs before 2001 on the Rex trail. The first ones came up here from Eagle River because the place they had hunted in unit 13 had been closed to their rigs. There was three trucks, converted M-series trucks and they went all the way back to the Wood. Then in 2004 when the Cow hunts were started we saw a big increase in the number of tired rigs. All came from the Mat-Sue, Anchorage area. None were from up here, I know I hunt there every year. Up until then only track rigs were used by the locals here. Track Rig hit a muddy area, it flattens out the mud, leaving only cleat marks after it's passing. Tires hit the same area, and creats a rut. That is what has upset the locals. They did not use tires because they understood the problems with cutting ruts. They are upset that the trail they have used for decades has been rutted so badly by outsiders. So try and understand where they are coming from on this issue.

As for the snowmachiners who messed things up. Well I think we just need to let people know if you go into the area at least respect the private lands and cabins. The cabins out there are not government owned cabins, All are either private or permitted cabins and the contents and equipment are private property. And people are tired of having their peoperty trashed by someone else.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast