Thread: Wrangell, AK

Exclamation Wrangell, AK

I've booked a boat out of Wrangell (Eric Yancey from Breakaway Adventures) to take us to Kuiu Island for a bear hunt in the fall. We're using Bruce Harding's Old Sourdough Lodge while we're in Wrangell. Anyone ever use them before?

How about the town of Wrangell? Where is the best place to get outdoor supplies such as propane or stove fuel, tarps, etc.?

Are you aware

Default oops

There is a non-resident cap when the kill reaches a certain number ....

Default Aware

I'm aware of the cap. I have spoken to Fish & Game officials. It's my understanding that the cap very rarely is reached..especially by that time. I looked at your outfit, but simply couldn't afford you.

Default cap

I don't hunt up that way .... I just remember when the cap was put in place and didn't know if the count was based on calendar year or seasonal year. Or if the cap number had ever been reached or not.

I normally just offer guided hunts.

You will have a good time with your drop hunt plans. The USFS cabins are a nice place to stay. If that one don't have a skiff you should make some arrangements for some transportation while your there. Also the USFS doesn't provide motors (when they provide boats) so you will need to bring one on out there with you.

There is a good hardware store in Wrangell for your needs.

Default boat

We made arrangements for a 17' skiff and 50 hp motor. Is that reasonable in your opinion to navigate around the shoreline? Thanks for the info.

Default boating in rocky waters

Hope you are somewhat boat savvy as you must be very careful in those water ... look at the chart and all those rocks. Also that cabin looks like it has a very large tideflat out front. You will be high and dry except at high tide. You must figure out some type of anchoring system. Get a tide book and study it well. Make sure your rental vessel has all the required US Coast Guard equipment on board ... many don't.

GPS, VHF hand held and satellite phone is a must ....

I think it would depend on the skiff! I wouldn't try it with a Lund...

I've made the run from Kake to Bay of Pillars a couple of times in a workskiff and it was fine. Got the crap beat out of us in Chatham one trip, but made it there. You would have to cross Sumner Straight, which is pretty much a straight shot to the ocean...could get rough.

Be careful wherever you go. Bring safety gear. Watch the tides because they can move over 20 vertical feet of water in a 6 hour tide change. If you get good weather you'll likely have no problems, just be careful.

Which side of Kuiu are you looking at? Rocky Pass is pretty easy to navigate, they have put all the markers back in but you need to watch out, Devil's Elbow can get pretty hairy during the tide change. If you are going to Devil's Elbow cabin you can only get to it at high tide. The same is true about the Kadake Bay cabin. Kadake Bay is at the mouth of Keku Strait and can blow-up pretty fast. You should be OK if you watch the weather and don't get an a hurry. A Lund will work just fine on the east side of Kuiu.

If you are going to the west side then it will be a different story. As Skookumcuck said, don't use a Lund on the west side. If you are going to Bay of Pillars cabin you can stay in the bay and be fine with a Lund, but don't go outside. If you have any specific questions email me. Jim

Ottesens True Value should have all you need in the way of propane, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Ottesens True Value should have all you need in the way of propane, etc.

And most important of all...don't forget to bring plenty of money.

That goes for pretty much anywhere in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    And most important of all...don't forget to bring plenty of money.
    LOL

That's probably very true.

Default High Costs

Everyone talks about things being pricey...how pricey? Anyone got some examples of common goods and price tags?

Default Don't worry about the cost difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Border Justice View Post
    Everyone talks about things being pricey...how pricey? Anyone got some examples of common goods and price tags?
    Bear condoms 2 for $3.50 or 2 for $4.00 (lubercated)
    Recommend lubercated if this is your first time
    Seriously though..don't worry about the cost you only live once.

Default don't worry about $

It's not that bad...for the most part! Breakaway and The Sourdough Lodge will treat you well. When you are staying at the Soughdough go bother their neighbor with the turkeys and tell him I sent you.

Ottesens and Sentry Hardware can supply you with your fuel and sporting good needs. Groceries can be had at City Market and Bob's IGA. Have a great hunt and heed the advice regarding tide books and charts. Feel free to PM if you want more specific info.

I prefer to fly into an area and use inflatable crafts to get around. If your in there durring Sept. your not gonna need to find more than one or two salmon streams and work them carefully anyway.

The research has shown that durring the salmon runs those streams will support a condensed population of bears estimated to be 150. I can say from experience that out of 150 you will find a few grandpa bears.

Thats beautiful remote country.......A hidden gem really. I won't even begin to tell you what I seen on that island because its really that amazing of a place. I'd like my children to enjoy it someday too.

Default ...what about gold...

Anyone ever pan any of those Kuiu Island streams for gold? Any luck? Even a little? Don't have to tell me where... just want to know whether I should pack my pan.