Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 Lite Rifle- Good or Bad

Default Tikka T3 Lite Rifle- Good or Bad

I have a friend who just bought a Tikke T3 Lite rifle, 7 mag.. Just looking for opinions on Tikka T3 Lite rifles. As an aquaintance of this friend says tikka's are junk and no good! I have not owned or shot a tikka rifle so am no help. I told him I knew where to find the help though. So please give him your opinions.

Very smooth bolt cycling, sweet trigger and more accurate than most folks can hold. The Finns don't deal in junk. They are probably one of the best bargains out there.

The biggest complaint is spare mags are more expensive than necessary.

Anyone calling Tikkas junk has never owned or shot one.
    Now what ?

Thumbs up Great Guns!

I shoot a T3 Lite SS in 30-06 and absolutely love it. I think it is not only one of the best bargains out there, but one of the best guns on the market period. Unbelievable accuracy right out of the box, a buttery smooth bolt, a trigger you can adjust without a gunsmith, and light enough to carry all day. Some people are nervous about the magazines being made of plastic, but I have not had any problems with mine. The other things people tend to worry about are the rings that come with the rifle. They are aluminum and some think they won't hold a scope secure enough on a big bore rifle. I used the factory rings to mount a Ziess Conquest on my rifle and I haven't looked back.

The only problem I have ever encountered with this rifle was the recoil. But that will be a problem in any light weight rifle. I had mine ported and added a Simms recoil pad to help tame it. Now she shoots like a dream.

Bottom line: Tell your friend not to worry, they won't be disappointed with their Tikka.

Hope this helps,
    Shannon

Default Love the T3 Lite

I bought a used T3 Lite 7mm off this forum about 1.5 years ago and love it. Great shooting rifle, even though my 14 year old thinks its his. It's very accurate right out of the box, have it topped with Nixon 4X12 and easily shoots under 1" groups, shooting the fusion ammo. He has shot a moose and a bull caribou with it so far. Does kick as hard a my ported 338, even with a limbsaver recoil pad(guess its because of the weight). Great rifle.

Terry

Default Absolutely love mine

I have to echo the sentiments of those replys above mine, absolutely love it. Light, accurate, smooth, dependable, and extremely affordable.

I hav owned 4 Tikkas and can absolutely say that they will shoot as good or better than any gun stock out of a box. I did have some concerns with all the plastic and I did break a Bolt shroud but I didn't put them through years of hard use. I think for the money they are hard to beat. I'll give you a pros and cons from my perspective.

Pros:

Lightweight
    Not much $$$$
    Smooth azz bolt
    Easy to adjust trigger
    Accurate

Cons:
    Lots of Plastic (IMO too much)
    Cant feed em from the top/ and its clip loaded
    Quality of stainless was not on par with some other stainless rifles I own, meaning that I saw rust developing very quickly in not so wet environments.

Unless money is no object in the purchase decision, they are good rifles. But with more money there are better lightweight more durable options IMO and IME.

Default awesome rifle

I can't say enough about my tikka t3 .300wsm. Awesome rifle, but the stock is crappy. I have used and abused it. I broke the stock and then fiberglassed it to fix it. Has worked like a charm for years. My daughters use it also. It does has a good kick to it, but they don't seem to notice it as I don't let them target practice with it. I honestly believe it is the best gun for the money.

Why are there two of these threads that are exactly identical asking the exact same question?

Time for the mods to merge them I guess. They were posted by a new user and were in 2 diferent forums (hunting & shooting).

bought a T3 in 300wsm last august. I personally love it. The stock does seem a little hollow in the butt end and probably won't stand up to extreme abuse. I did use it sheep hunting and did anything with it that I would normally do, including using it to lean on when needed. Nice and accurate, affordable and smooth. It does jump quite a bit but the kick is pretty mild. Shot so good my buddy ended up using it for his sheep as well after mine was on the ground and he had missed a few times with his "trusty" ol' 270.

Default Sako

Last night I went to my friends house and he was showing me how to reload. Of course we talked about guns and I brought up the Sako. He said that his customers have told him it was a real shooter, but he went on to tell me that some portion of the bolt was made of plastic and a couple of customers had them break. I am not sure which piece is is talking about, but if you would like better info, he works at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Anch. Go in and ask for "Reloader Pat".

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

the t3 is a fine rifle..because the recoil lug is not integral with the receiver 3 shot groups are "fin-iky" the only other question I have with them is why did they give the 300wsm a 1:14" twist rate? the longer 180 grain bullets can get a little swervey. If I were to buy another, I'd get that lug "CAREFULLY" welded to the receiver and bedded in tight.

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    the t3 is a fine rifle..because the recoil lug is not integral with the receiver 3 shot groups are "fin-iky" the only other question I have with them is why did they give the 300wsm a 1:14" twist rate? the longer 180 grain bullets can get a little swervey. If I were to buy another, I'd get that lug "CAREFULLY" welded to the receiver and bedded in tight.
    The T3 has a 1:11 twist

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    The T3 has a 1:11 twist
    MontanaRifleman,that would be great if mine had that rate...she's a stainless steel pipe chambered in 300wsm and has a "measured 1:14 twist...dont know why...

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Very smooth bolt cycling, sweet trigger and more accurate than most folks can hold. The Finns don't deal in junk. They are probably one of the best bargains out there.

The biggest complaint is spare mags are more expensive than necessary.

Anyone calling Tikkas junk has never owned or shot one.
    I couldn't have said it better. Without question. They are non traditional and modernistic but of excellent quality and workmanship and one heck of a buy.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I don't consider myself anything special when it comes to shooting. After sighting in, my new Tikka t3 in seven mag put three holes touching each other at 100 yards. I will say be prepared for more kick than on some of the heavier rifles but that goes without saying. Great rifle, and props to the Talley lightweight rings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    MontanaRifleman,that would be great if mine had that rate...she's a stainless steel pipe chambered in 300wsm and has a "measured 1:14 twist...dont know why...
    That's odd... The Sako site, says the 300 WSM has a 1:11. Have you actually measured it? I would send it back. I don't think a 1:14 will work very well.

I have to agree they are very good buys, as a matter of fact I just bought a T3 Lite in 308 to keep the Tikka 695 in 30.06 I bought for my son a few years back company.
    Kudos to Talley for making some great one piece ring/base's. I put a set on the sons 06 last night and they are lighter then the factory rings I took off.
    I replaced them because the last time I swapped out scopes I put the front ring on backward and when it seated into the receiver it allowed the rear to move, only partially remaining in contact which I found out last night when I removed it, what a dummy.
    One thing I did was put a Limb Saver pad on the 308 made it very nice to shoot. During sight in (50yds), it put the first shot about right of center and the following two were about 3/8 below that in the same hole. My son consistently puts three inside a quarter at 100 yds, all with factory ammo.

Default Tikka

Quote Originally Posted by Twinboys View Post
    I have a friend who just bought a Tikke T3 Lite rifle, 7 mag.. Just looking for opinions on Tikka T3 Lite rifles. As an aquaintance of this friend says tikka's are junk and no good! I have not owned or shot a tikka rifle so am no help. I told him I knew where to find the help though. So please give him your opinions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply:

I purchased a T3 this year, chambered in .338 Winchester Magnum. On the range accuracy was impressive. It seemed it did it's best with light weight bullets - 200 grain ballistic tips and the Nosler 210 partitions. Since I have not had the opportunity to use it extensively, I really could'nt give a true evaluation of the gun's potential.

Field and Stream magazine, in fiscal 2004, for what's it worth, gave the T3 "firearm of the year" award based on quality and durability. I find it hard to believe they would jeopardize "fifty" years of business for an endorsement.
    Is it the best centerfire out there - I would say "no". But from what I have experienced it is accurate, light (the main reason for my purchase) and durable.

Default tikka 300 wsm

According to tikka not only the website but i spoke with them the only calibre they make in 1 in 14 is the 22-250. I can tell you we were on a muley hunt last year in Montana and My old browning 7mm mag boss took nine shell of 160gr win failsafes to put the animal down eventhough he was standing still all shots were in the kill zone three in the heart and six in the lungs. The Tikkas in 300wsm took the animals down in one shot they looked like sacks of potatoes falling the minute they were hit and every person that I have talked to that has the tikka loves them. I traded the browning for one after shooting my fathers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast