Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left handed halibut reel

Default Left handed halibut reel

Benn looking to upgrade my old penn 321 reel for something nice and not over $500 bucks. Alot of the guys that I fish with are using the shimano trinadad series but they don't make it for lefties, I plan on using it for halibut but would also like it maybe to handle a salmon shark if I see one, if I can't have the best of both worlds i would like it for halibut then any suggestions Thanks

Avet reels rock! We own four now and absolutely love them.
    Tennessee

what model would u suggest and it would be suitable for a salmon shark

Default Try this link...

www.avetreels.com

I just bought an Avet reel from B&J commercial today! The staff seem to be quite knowledgable, friendly, and interested in getting you the right equipment for your needs and budget. They have done right by me and I'll continue to do business with them. If they don't already have a reel to take on salmon sharks then they'll order it in for you. Post pics of your success!

I Use To Use Avets And Then Switched To The Accurate 655h Its A Way Better Reel...

Default No offense, Boneyard, just need info...

Aren't the Accurate reels and the Avents strikingly similar? The only difference that I found was in the pricing, really. Lightweight, alloy bodies, hardened stainless gears and sealed bearings are present on both product lines.
    What is it that: 1) Made you want to switch? 2) Made you choose Accurate? 3) Made the difference between the two reels in terms of form, feel and function?

Am quite interested as I have to buy two more reels and value your opinion. Thanks in advance, truly.

IceKing02

I agree. Avet reels rock! I plan to pick up a few more this year.

They look like they are built soild. they are expensive though..... What is the price for them around town here in Anchorage???? I have the Penn 330gti
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've got 10 of the Penn 320gti reels in charter service for trolling, and 8 of the 330gti reels spooled up with 80# braid for halibut. The last salmon shark encounter we had was on trolling gear, and just when I though we were about to get spooled and lose all of my mono, the shark spit out my flasher and went on its way.

I don't know how well the 330's would hold up to a big shark, but I know of plenty of anglers here in SE who have landed small and medium sized sharks on light line on 330's.

For heavy use, I haven't seen a reel that holds up any better for under $100. I oil and lube them every season (sometimes twice), keep lots of fresh water on them daily, and usually have to re-build a drag or 3 every other year.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think the last time i was at b&j's the avet's were around $450. This is the same reel tommy at b&j's suggested to me and I value his opinion

Default Just yesterday...

I spent $379 for the Avet LX 6/3. The 550yards of 70lb braided was extra, however...

If there is a fish (besides a whale) that can strip off 550 yards of line before it either smokes the drag or breaks my McGill in half then I'll be a monkey's uncle.

IceKing02

Where's them bananas?

Hello Ice King I Have Two 655h That Have Been Through Hell..we Jig Everyday In The Season For Monster Lings And Halibut And Those Reels Are A Winch..every Avet Guy I Have Had On Board Agreed That The Accurate Felt Better And Was More Saltwater Spray Friendly....

is there a smaller avet out there that could still handle 250yrds. of 80lb. tuffline i'm not into big bulkey reels thats why I bought the penn 321gti but I used that shamano trinadad and god dog that was a nice and smooth reel but not in a left hand

[quote=IceKing02;222006]

If there is a fish (besides a whale) that can strip off 550 yards of line before it either smokes the drag or breaks my McGill in half then I'll be a monkey's uncle.

IceKing02

Ice king it's funny you brought that up, last year out of seward I had a porpoise go under the boat while anchored up halibut fishing and snag the line and run about 200yrds. in about 10sec. before it let loose and I thought for sure i was going to see smoke from my penn

Avet reels are "priced fixed" meaning all dealers are required to sell them for the same price.
    However dealers are allowed to add incentives such as line spooling, etc.
    I have bought all of our reels here and have been very happy with the service:
    http://www.charkbait.com/
    Tennessee

Default The difference between Avet and accurate?

Comparing an avet to an accurate. To put this into perspective it would be like comparing a corvette to a farrari they are both sports cars and both go fast but the farrai just does it better. Far more supperior product in the Accurate. Pick them both up and handle them and you will clearly see the difference. Realisticly though for halibut and salmon shark combo I would get a 30 penn VSX 2 speed or a shimano 30 wlrs and spool it up with Moimoi Dimond hollow core spectra 100lb test with a top shot of moimoi diamond mono 80 lb test. It will whip just about everything you will encounter. I would match it up with a calstar XH series rod of about 6' (if your fishing outboards, 5'5" if your inboards). This set up may be a little large if all you are catching halibut wise is small chickens, but for salmon sharks up to 3-400 lbs it is very doable.

Default Avet

I was just looking around in Fairbanks and stopped in Sentry Hardware. They had Pro-Ex 4/02 model Avets for $349 these where R handed reels. You may check in Anchorage they may have the same deal. I found some on the Internet for $379. Last year I made the mistake of buying 6 of the Shimano TLD- 2 Speed 30 Reels from Cabela's because they where on sale. 2 of the six did not work right out of the box. The other 4 Shimano's compared to the Avet where junk. I have tried Penn Internationals, Fin Nor's, Diawa's, Okuma's, and the Avets are the best deal for the price. The majority of Charter Boats out of Valdez that fish sharks are using Avets. Looks like I will have to order a Accurate 655h and let my customer test it after all you can never have to many reels.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    is there a smaller avet out there that could still handle 250yrds. of 80lb. tuffline i'm not into big bulkey reels thats why I bought the penn 321gti but I used that shamano trinadad and god dog that was a nice and smooth reel but not in a left hand
    I just bought one of these and plan on using it mainly for jigging:
    http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrAvet....%205/2%20Hoo-X

It is 2 speeds and has a very fast retrive rate. Much smaller package than the other Avets we own. Time will tell as it has not seen action yet but it looks promising.
    Tennessee

Default Okay, next question, then:

Where does one go to test out the look and feel of an Accurate reel in the greater Anchor-town area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast