Thread: Anyone used Alps Mountaineering gear?

Default Anyone used Alps Mountaineering gear?

I was searching the net and stumbled across this site. Prices look good and so does some of the gear. I was curious if anyone had tried any of it.
    http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/

Default I bought a Alps

sleeping bag for my brown bear hunt. I returned it and took my old bag. The longest bag I found was still to short and I am a fairly slim dude and my shoulders wouldn't in the bag comfortably. Which means cold spots. The shell felt nice but not sure what kind of people they are making those bags but I sure didn't fit. I know you are taller than I and have a bigger build most likely. All the info I have. I posted a thread back in sept. and got no responses so figured nobody must use it. Army Navy store down town had them. Always nice to get a hands on look. They had them on sale for $100 or so back then.

Good info on the sleeping bags. The packs look interesting and they are fairly inexpensive and lite (per the specs). Same thing for the tents the Zephyr 2.0 looks pretty good on paper.

Zephyr 2.0
    Base Size:
    4'10 x 7'2
    Center Height: 3'2
    Vestibule Depth: 28"
    Tent Area: 31 sq. ft.
    Vestibule Area: 18 sq. ft.
    Tent and Fly Weight: 4 lb. 8 oz.
    Total Weight: 4 lb. 12 oz.
    Packed Size: 7" x 20"
    Pole Diameter: 8.5 mm
    Color: Grey/Coal/Sage
    Price: $159.99

Bought a bag a few years ago, 20 degree I think, about $40 on sale. A Little too tight in the shoulders for me. gave it to my son for scouts. He's very happy with it for 3 season use.

Default tent

I have one of there tents I bought at REI in seattle on discounted close out. I have used it two seasons of float trips (hard use) and it seames to be holding up well. I think I paid about $65 for it (3 person). Just for reference here are my "other" tents. Mountain Hardwear kiva, North Face westwind, Kifaru 8 man tipi.