Thread: Anyone know when Symphony Lake thaws?

Question Anyone know when Symphony Lake thaws?

Ok. So I have cabin fever like a madman Me and my buddy have spent the last three weeks making plans for the summer.

On that note I have a couple quick questions...

1. Does anyone know what time (ok, more like month. haha) Symphony lake thaws completely?

2. Has anyone gone back behind Symphony between those two mountains? We were looking at heading back there as far as possible to see what there was to see. Anyone done this/have comments on this 'idea'?

Thanks for the info guys!!...only two months till' graduation!!!

Jon

Default Symphony

Jon,

As I recall last year, Symphony was about 70% clear on the 2nd week of May and Eagle was still mostly frozen except for the outlet. I've never gone farther than the lake.

I'm guessing last week of May. I've also wanted to check out that hanging valley behind Symphony. Until my wife got pregnant, I was planning on camping at the lake and peak bagging for 4-5 days this summer while eating grayling for dinner each night. Next year, perhaps.

Talking Thanks Brian!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm guessing last week of May. I've also wanted to check out that hanging valley behind Symphony. Until my wife got pregnant, I was planning on camping at the lake and peak bagging for 4-5 days this summer while eating grayling for dinner each night. Next year, perhaps.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the timeframe guys
    Those are basically our plans as-of-now, maybe even stay a night at Symph. then pack up and in again to see how far back that valley goes. I'm going to be spending some time on maps here in a few weeks trying to figure that one out.
    Still trying to figure out how to get enough fuel/find some way to cook grayling for dinner consistently. Five days of Mountainhouse just doesn't sound appealing.

Jon

Default more info

Have you read the book "50 Hikes in Alaska's Chugach State Park"? It has a lot of info on the valleys beyond the lakes and a ton on info on the park itself. You can get it in the store section of the forrums: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...440f51a094541f

Another resource is this web site: http://www.akhs.atfreeweb.com/Hikes/...hony_Lakes.htm

This site has alot of info and pics.

Hope this helps.

FrozenMarc

Theres lots to do up the valley. The valley which goes up behind Symphony Lake curls around underneath Triangle and Calliope Peak and rises to a nice little lake called Mirror Lake. You can climb Triangle from this way pretty easily and although you can climb Calliope from here its not always recommended. You can climb Cantata quite well from this valley and if you go up Eagle Lake you can climb Eagle Peak. If you hook over Triangle Peak you can drop down into Ewe Valley and climb Concerto Peak back there. If you hook up to your right you can climb the nice long ridge back to Rendezvous.

Heres some more info in the area as well.

Cantata Peak -
    http://www.alaskamountainforum.com/w...e=Cantata_Peak

An ascent of Cantata
    http://www.alaskamountainforum.com/f...php?f=29&t=869

Also heres a picture for you to see whats what.
    http://www.alaskamountainforum.com/w...e:Sfvpeaks.jpg

Hope that helps some.

Default Symphony Lake (Grayling)

I hiked out there last summer just to do some grayling fishing, and I must have caught 10 grayling over a couple of hours. However, I wouldn't say they were quite the size one would receive a quality meal from. I believe most were around the 2-3 inches in size but a lot of fun to catch. In constrast I thought Cresent Lake at Moose Pass was much better suited for the Grayling. I don't think I caught one less 6-7 inches, but when you are talking Grayling that is a pretty good size. We found some Alder branches on the ground and smoked them. They could have used some salt & pepper or lemon but were very tasty.

I was in there last summer doing some grayling fishing, both in Eagle and in Symphony. Eagle, surprisingly enough, I caught a 'rainbow' out of, dinky little thing about 2 inches long we caught while goofing off and cooking dinner. I did catch some respectable grayling out of Symphony last year, though the size seemed to vary depending on where you were on the bank.

I would like to take a raft back there, head to the middle of the lake and drop a line. There have to be a few monsters out there.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    I would like to take a raft back there, head to the middle of the lake and drop a line. There have to be a few monsters out there.
    I was thinking of doing that with my packraft this year.

I was thinking of doing that with my packraft this year.
    Sounds like a blast doesn't it? Just by the size of some of the surface hits I would imagine(hope) there to be a couple high-teen low-twenties out there.

When I was back there Labor day last year there was a whole group(15 of em') with packrafts/paddles that hiked from the valley behind Symphony, around the lake, and up the side of the valley over the mountain there. Weirdest thing I ever saw; they never stopped, just provided some entertainment and excellent sheep viewing

Jon