Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick release scope mounts

Default Quick release scope mounts

I like to use iron sights as much as possible and would like to find some quick release scope mounts. Any advice or recomendations from anyone. I have been looking at the lupy qrw and the similar ones from Warne. Any others out there that maintain scope accuracy when put back on the rifle.

Thanks

Daubie

Take a look at the Talley's.

Default QR Scope Rings

The Talleys are the cream of the crop, but Warne's are maybe a little bit more rugged. I have them on all but one of my rifles and I love them. I dislike Leupolds because the top half of the rings are over 50% of the circle, and snap over the scope. This makes scratches on your fine optics, therefore I won't use the Leupolds again. However, the quality is great. stay away from all the rest.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The only mounts I use are Quick Release. I have 2 scopes for most of my rifles.

I have the Leupold QRWs on 2 rifles, and they are probably the best, since both the bases and rings are steel.

I don't care much for Leupold scopes, or their standard mounts, either, but I really love the QRW mounts. My Gunsmith told me that the PRWs were cheaper, and the only difference was you had to carry an allen wrench to take them off and on.

I also, use Weaver QD bases and rings, the regular detachable ones and the Quad Locks. I prefer the knobs to the levers on the Leupold QRWs.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Warne bases and QD rings on my new 350 Rem mag hold zero and when I remove the and put them back on I still have zero.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Talley is the way to go as far as I know.

LaRue Tactical in Texas can help you out, they have THE BEST quick release scope mounts on the market!

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...y=Optic+Mounts

- Clint

You can not go wrong with either Leupold QRWs, Warnes or talleys...depends on your budget and your aesthetic sense.

Default Good Stuff

Gents

Lots of good info in the replies. It sure helps to have a field of quality products to choose from without the risk of making a truly huge mistake, and not knowing untill after you have pulled the trigger.

Thank you

Daubie

I recently purchased a Marlin XLR and used Warne quick release rings and mounts for the Leupold 1.5-5 scope. Your post spurred me to take it out to my front porch this morning and test the return to zero. I removed the scope from the gun, re-mounted the scope, fired five shots, marked the first round of shots on the target, removed the scope, re-mounted, and fired five shots. The 2 1/2" off-hand groups at 75 yards were nothing to write home about, but the zero was the same. All of the bullets from the first group were equally mixed in with the second group.

Default Mounting scope

I have read several times that you shouldn't mount your scope but have a gunsmith do it. The articles state that you may pinch the tube...Any truth to this?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have also been using the QRW rings for years now and although they are rather expensive I really like them. Of course all of our scoped guns also wear iron sights so the quick release rings make sense. But to tell you the truth, I had a scope mounted on an H&R Handi Rifle with plain old weaver rings with the big round serrated nut, and it would line up perfectly and go back to zero every time I took it off just as well as the more expensive QRW rings.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I guess I should mention, in regards to the QRW rings and repeatability in zero, that I as a matter of routing remove the scope from the action and the action from the stock every time I clean the rifle. And that happens every time I come home from a hunting trip or from the range. So on my Rem 30-06 that scope has come on and off at least 100 times in the last 8 years or so and has always returned to zero. A further testament to the durability of these rings is that my Rem 30-06 is bedded so tightly around the recoil lug that I have to pull on the scope to get enough leverage to get it out of the stock. Not the ideal way to remove your action I know, but it’s better than pulling on the opened bolt, and works and had never caused any ill effects.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by daubie View Post
    I have read several times that you shouldn't mount your scope but have a gunsmith do it. The articles state that you may pinch the tube...Any truth to this?
    If you have any doubt in your own ability, then have someone else mount your scope. I personally use a 1" steel rod to align the mounts before mounting the scope, so no bent tubes here. There are more sophisticated means; honing, lapping, etc but the steel rod works for me.

Default How does the quick release mounts

mount to a ruger hawkeye or m77 markII? I have removed my scope before by just taking the screw lose that holds to the gun. Remounted after cleaning and oiling up there and zero was fine. Not a quick release by no means and would have to have a large screw driver. But looking at the mounts online looks like they fit weaver style bases. Does anyone make a style that will fit the ruger large bore rifles?

I have used leupold QRW, Warne, talley, and EAW mounts. They all did what they were suposed to but of them all I liked the talley the best. I just found that they get the best return to zero. The warne are the best value for the money though.

Default Quick Release

I have both Talley and Warne. They both work. "Smithson" is found on some very nice custom rifles but I have never used them. As far as absolute return to zero goes, I trust none of them, but they do return to "minute of moose".

Anyone know whats the lowest Leupold quick detach ring that will work on my Winchester88 with an old Leupold M8 4x scope. I prefer the lower the better. Thanks.

Thumbs up Warne

Warne QR is what I use:

www.warnescopemounts.com

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    mount to a ruger hawkeye or m77 markII? I have removed my scope before by just taking the screw lose that holds to the gun. Remounted after cleaning and oiling up there and zero was fine. Not a quick release by no means and would have to have a large screw driver. But looking at the mounts online looks like they fit weaver style bases. Does anyone make a style that will fit the ruger large bore rifles?

Warne makes specific QR rings for Ruger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast