Thread: Making Halibut Weights

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Making Halibut Weights

Anyone out there make halibut weights and need lead? I have lead and want 30 oz or bigger weights,(I have molds to make 20 and 24 oz)if I don't find someone I will buy the mold and made the time to do it myself but would like to make a deal with someone. Anchorage/Valley area,thanks.

Default weights

I have molds to make 2 and 3lb rock rock weights. These are the rectangular weights. Let me know if that is what you're looking for?

When I was in Bristol Bay I had scrounged a lot of lead and one of my projects was halibut weights. Not knowing what I was doing I took two 2x4, screwed them together and used a paddle bit and drilled a few holes were the boards met and dumped molten lead and was able to unscrew the 2x's to free the weights. Anyway just some thoughts for pondering...

George

Default Sand Casting

You can also take a coffee can, a 2 x 2 and make a sandcast mold. Just place the packed sand in the can. Round the end of the 2 x 2 a bit, push it into the sand to a determined depth, then pour the molten lead into the depression left. You swivel or eye, can be suspended by a piece of wire over the opening prior to pouring. Pretty basic stuff.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

When I made an anchor for my pontoon I made a mold using sheet aluminum and rivets. I suspended an eye bolt in the center and poured. Afterward I just peeled the mold off.
    The sand/tin can mold would be the least costly and easiest.

Cool sand cast

if you do this, make sure the sand is dry, i have a couple of custum buzz bomb molds if anyone wants to make buzz bombs

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default trapperscott

pm sent trapperscott.

Default what did you have in mind?

i have lots of lead and would love to make some buzz bombs. were you thinking of having some buzz bombs made for you for the use of your molds? what size are they and how many you think you need this summer? would you like them powder coated or raw lead and you could paint yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    i have lots of lead and would love to make some buzz bombs. were you thinking of having some buzz bombs made for you for the use of your molds? what size are they and how many you think you need this summer? would you like them powder coated or raw lead and you could paint yourself?
    I have a car you can borrow Akriverrat I prefer powdercoat

if your car is any bigger than a hot wheel then i dont think it will fit in my fluid bed.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    if your car is any bigger than a hot wheel then i dont think it will fit in my fluid bed.
    It was worth a try