Thread: Canoeing the Chandalar River?

Default Canoeing the Chandalar River?

Does anyone out there have information on the Chandalar River from Chandalar shelf on the haul road to Chandalar Lake. I guess that's the west fork. Interested in conditions, time needed, gravel vs. mud or boulders, class II, II or IV?

thanks

Default Chandalar Lake by canoe

You will have no problems canoeing to Chandalar Lake. I worked for the late Master guide Red Adney who hdq. out of Chandalar Lake and hunted the North Fork. This was back in 1967. I recall that Red and his last client of the season canoed down to the lake ( jumping ducks on the way) and he said it was a nice easy trip. In 2007 I packed in part way to Quartz creek in 3 days ( started having knee problems and walked out ) I'd say the total time required would be no more than 5 /6 days w out rushing.

I'm interested in canoeing the whole length of the Chandalar down to the the Lake and out to the Yukon and down to the haul road. Would you have any interest? -- I just looked at the date of your post -- so if you have done it you will know. Any interest in going all the way to the Yukon?

mdotson2093@mindspring.com

Hi Mike. I thought you would have done this by now. I tried to look up our PMs from your old posting, but I can read only mine. Glad to know you're still thinking about making this trip.

Stefan, thanks for the postings! Wish I could remember more (any) of the German I had to take in 8th grade.

Hey Mike, some friends of mine did the N Fork to the Dalton bridge. Three guys, two canoes... Just below the lake on the N Fork ( just past the old trappers cabin on the right) is a pretty good boulder patch. That is the only place where they had any problems ( they said they should have lined or portaged it)....sounds like a good non-fly-in sort of trip....