Thread: Ruger scope ring screws!!!

Angry Ruger scope ring screws!!!

Having a hell of a time trying to get out some flat head screws out of the scope rings on m77 .338? I have kroil oil sitting on them right now but was wondering if anyone has any Tricks of the trade or Ideas that they would like to share with a very frustrated hopeful shooter!!! I don't want to strip the screws out!

Thank you in advance!!!

RidgeRunner76

Kroil them on the bottom and let the rifle sit upside down about an hour, turn it back over and make sure you a using the correct size screwdriver.

Maybe you could have someone help you by holding the screwdriver firmly down in the slot while you turn it?

. Use penetrating oil, as aforesaid, from bottom. Liquid Wrench is the best. Let sit for a hour or so. Put gun in vise. insert correct screwdiver in slot. Gently tap screwdriver handle with plastic mallet while turning.

All said is good advice , you also might put some heat from a heat gun or a hair dryer on each ring , after you get them out toss them in the trash ..............call Ruger and for .50 cents you can put the torx head screws in them and never mess with them slotted ones again . I ordered 40 Torx heads and replaced all of mine .
    Chris

Thumbs up Thanx for feedback

I already went down and got a complete set of torx head screws, some kroil oil, the right size klein screwdriver and the gun is sitting upside down soaking the threads overnight and will tackle this problem in the morning.

If all goes well I will be out sighting in at the range tomorrow!!

thanx again,

RidgeRunner76,

If you finally give up in frustration you can always drill off the heads. Carefully center punch a hole in the center of the head. Using a drill bit slightly larger than the shank of the screw, start drilling until the screw head pops off. Once all the heads are removed, pop the upper part of the rings off. The screw shanks will usually just thread out with your fingers. The threads generally do not get galled and stuck, it's the tapered part of the head that binds with the aluminum of the rings and sticks the whole thing.

Default Screws

Take a soldering iron and put it on the head of the screw for a second or two. Then remove the screw.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The threads generally do not get galled and stuck, it's the tapered part of the head that binds with the aluminum of the rings and sticks the whole thing.
    Aluminum??? Shame on you! Since when has Ruger made aluminum rings for their M77? Every one I've seen was steel.

Another option to the heat from a soldering gun idea- use an old screwdriver, make sure it fits the head of screw, use a propane torch and apply the flame on the SHAFT of the screwdriver. The heat will warm the screw, then apply turning pressure on the screw. Works great, especially if someone put some Loctite on the screws. Be careful with the flame to not damage your rifle. Good luck!!!

Default Tighten Firs

I know it sounds backwards but after soaking if you will tighten first it often will break its grip easier. If if tightens even a smidgen it will probably back out.

Yep..open mouth insert Ruger scope ring..LOL.. I have a top half of a set of rings sitting on my desk that is annodized aluminum. I have no idea where it came from. I just ASSumed that all rings were aluminum. I checked my four m 77's and they all have stainless steel rings... Proceed and I will shut up..

Thumbs up Just Like the Brochure!!

Well after letting them sit over night upside down with Kroil oil ******d all over them, I had my buddy tap on the screwdriver while I slowly applied more and more pressure and ...... what the hell they all broke loose, no sweat!!!!
    It pays to be patient at times!!!

Thanx to ALL for the Info!!!

RidgeRunner76