Thread: goose hunting

Default goose hunting

Im looking to possibly do an out of state goose hunt next year and was wondering if anyone could recommend some places maybe you have hunted before looking for a guided trip would prefer to stay on the west coast, possibly texas anyone have any ideas or outfitters they could recomend.
    Thanks

Default what kind of geese and when?

What geese are you after, and when are you after them? South Dakota, North Dakota, and Minnesota all have early canada goose seasons in September with 5 a day limits in most areas. The snows come through generally in November or hit them in the spring in March or April when there is no limit in some states or 20 a day in others. Just a few ideas.

guess I should have specified, canadas mainly although I would also consider a snow goose hunt time frame is between october-december basically. Im looking at some places in texas right now.

Colorado has some crazy goose hunting too.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

I hunt Colorado and Texas just about every year.
    I don't hunt with outfitters but Big Honker Outfitters out of Lubbock Texas puts on a good hunt. I hunted with them once a number of years ago and they know what there doing, they mostly shoot Greater Canada's!!!!

There are a number of guides around the Denver area and I know a couple that offer decent hunts but the real good hunts are pretty $$$$$.

PM me if you want some more info

Default WA State

I hunted Tri-Cities (eastern WA) quite a few years back for greater Canada geese. We had a great time, and saw more birds than we could shoot at. I heard that populations were still up. I did not use a guide as we had friends, so no referrals available. Sure would be a lot closer than TX.

If you want big Canadians try in the Rochester, MN area. The hunts there are breath taking.

Default Rochester, MN

I used to guide goose hunts in Rochester when i lived there, PM me if your interested and I can link you up with the guys to go with.

Default North Flight

I've hunted with North Flight in Washington a couple times and have done well. We shot greaters and lessers in equal numbers. I plan on hunting with them again this December. Google North Flight for their website.

Check out SD. I moved up here from there and miss the duck/goose hunting. We whacked Canadas, specks, and snows, very regularly. There are some good lakes in Western SD that are dynamite and not heavily hit. The geese seem to use them as a way points in their internal GPS's and you can watch flocks coming over all day long. You know your on a good flyway then. All of this is on public land. Besides you can go see Mt Rushmore in the same trip.

Default Goose Hunting in Texas

I've gone with Mike at Bay Prairie Outfitters in Midfield, Texas (Southest of Houston) for many years. Top notch.

emrdux

Default bay prairie

Emrdux

what time of year do you normally go, and do you know if they accept single hunters.

I have hunted geese in Texas, Kansas, Ohio and Manitoba. By far the best spot has been Manitoba - (I have several trips under my belt) . We killed Snows, Canadas and Mallards in dry fields. PM me and I will send you the details on the outfitter.

Default Time of year for geese in Texas

I have made a yearly trip to Texas since I moved up here to AK. Time of year varies, but usually I head down in late November so that I can also bowhunt various areas for deer and hogs. The geese start heading to TX in October/November and are there in full force by December. The best time, I think, is when the regular migratory season closes in late January. Then the extended goose season opens and it's a free-for-all; that is - if Texas Parks & Wildlife are consistent - no plugs, no limits, and electronic calls are all legal. Just remember that the extended season is for snow geese only.
    And also, Yes, Mike will take singles out, but he will usually include you in with a group of other feather hunters. He can take you out, also, for redheads (the duck) and can also get you onto mallards, scaup, widgeon, teal (blue & green winged) bufflehead, and sand hills.
    He also has accomodations and includes breakfast. The best place for lunch in the area is the Blessing Hotel in Blessing. Make sure you ask for ice cream or you'll miss out on the Blue Bell!
    BTW, I have no financial interest or am not compensated in any way. I just have had great feather experiences with Bay Prairie for many years!

Default Canada

I went with these guys http://www.buckparadise.com/ a couple of years ago and they but on a first class hunt and you will see more geese than you can shoot at. I can't say enough about their operation, 5 star all the way.

Default Outside Goose Hunt

Montana has great goose hunting. When the Yellowstone River freezes the flocks move to the Big Horn that is ice free year round. Concentrated flocks fly out to wheat fields morning and evening. You can float the Big Horn for a "cast and blast" trip--great fishing, stop on islands to hunt. I have never gone with an outfitter, but do a google search. Geese winter in Montana!!! I have seen flocks cover the horizon and it is, after all, "Big Sky Country"
    NRA Lifetime Member