Thread: Crab fisheries closed

Default Crab fisheries closed

Does anyone know what the deal is with everywhere being closed to the taking of crab. I know it has been this way for a while but never found out why or if it will reopen anytime. I made a mistake with my shrimp pots and removed a small piece of twine that I thought might impede shrimp from getting in easily and well I didn't have any shrimp but I had 20 some small crab that I had to let go. There must be a bunch of them down there. I also fished in Resurrection bay 2 weekends ago and split open the belly of a small halibut, there were 5 crabs in there.

I've been asking this question for years. I get as many answers as you.

I can't beleive that there isn't more interest in this subject. Guess I'll try to contact F&G and see what I can come up with.

I want to catch crabs, dag-nabbit! I've been meaning to talk to F&G about it, but I keep forgetting. Divers have posted on websites saying there's plenty of them there. They should at least open it for personal use crabbing. Crabs have PLENTY to eat with all the fish remains that are dumped every day. I bet there are billions of crabs in south-central.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

The population is suffering in Kachemak bay due to sea otters feeding on them. Whenever you drive by them floating on their backs they're always cracking open a crab or two. As for other places, I do not know why.

The only place in the great state of Alaska that you can get to on the road system and catch a crab is Haines/Skagway. Nobody seems to care. I guess they just aren't salmon.

Personally, and I don't have any scientific statistics to back it up yet, I think it is an escapement issue. If we would have just allowed the commercials to take more crab we wouldn't have the depleted populations that we do.