Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mathews Conquest

Default Mathews Conquest

Does anyone out there own a Mathews Conquest bow? If so, how do you like it? I have been debating on getting one. There aren't many bows out there made for the finger shooter. I have heard great things about Mathews. The only draw back is the price!! Any other suggestions on bows suited for my style of shooting are welcome.

TT

I've got a few friends who shoot the Mathews-Conquest, Outback and Switchback bows. These guys REALLY like them and they shoot them well. If I weren't a loyal Hoyt shooter, I get a Mathews as well. The price just is what it is, but with high-end bows, I honestly believe you DO get what you pay for. If I recall, Hoyt also makes a pretty nice bow that a finger shooter could do pretty well with. Most Hoyt's (from what I've seen) run a few buck less than a Mathews also. Food for thought. Good luck..

Thumbs up Conquest

A friend of mine has shot a conquest in the past due to his size. He is about 6'6 and has a pretty long draw length . He enjoyed the bow and was succesful with it. His archery addiction and surplus of capital has caused him to move on to a different bow. I personaly shoot Mathews, a switchback as a matter fact. Any high end bow is well worth the investment. I would recommend going and shooting comparable bows from the big 3 i.e. Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech. Really these bows are the best choices in my opinion right now. Shoot many bows and make your own decision on what feels right to you no matter what anyone else says.

WVB

Default Mathews Conquest 3

I've got a Conquest 3 and I'm a tab shooter. I've only had it for a month, and with limited shooting am dialed in pretty well at 40 yards. I plan to push it out to fifty, but not much further.

I'm really happy with mine, having picked it up slightly used for $300!

I'm transitionin from an old-school Reflex meat bow to this more aggressive cam. For a finger shooter it takes a little getting used to, but the transition can be made successfully. I had planned to take it bear hunting this spring, but may wait for an attempt at a moose with it this fall.

I will say that to achieve this bow's true potential, a mechanical release would have to be utilized. I haven't made that transition yet, and am fighting it hard.

I lucked into an adjustable draw length bow that is easily adjusted without any extra parts. Just put it in the press and switch the string to one of three buttons.

Great bow. This may be my last.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by NE to AK
    Does anyone out there own a Mathews Conquest bow? If so, how do you like it? I have been debating on getting one. There aren't many bows out there made for the finger shooter. I have heard great things about Mathews. The only draw back is the price!! Any other suggestions on bows suited for my style of shooting are welcome.

TT
    Find the bow you like best and then get it on ebay. You'll be saving yourself a lot of $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Find the bow you like best and then get it on ebay. You'll be saving yourself a lot of $$$.
    Thatís it, shoot a half dozen bows, find the one you like then buy it off e-bay and save $25.00. Thatíll endear you to the local shop owner that spent his time helping you out.

The Conquest wasnít designed for tab shooting, not many of the modern compounds are, but it is pretty forgiving so itís not a bad choice if you want to go that route. I am assuming you buying new so getting it in your length will make it easier. But, as provided above, test drive a few. A bow has to be right for you. And after shooting a few, narrowing it down, and getting some help from the shop owner Ė continue the relationship; itíll pay off down the road when you go back for arrows and accessories.

Thumbs down Mail order bows

I have to agree with Longbow on this one. I bought my first bow over the internet and have regretted it ever since. There is a lot of knowledge and experience in local hunting that is lost when buying over the internet. Had I talked to the guys in the shops around here when I bought my bow, I would have set it up completely different. In the end, the money saved was spent on different accessories better suited for Alaska. Besides, most of the shop owners have some great hunting stories to tell and those can be priceless. Not to mention the service you get after the sale (without the cost of shipping!).

Just my perspective.
    Shannon

Default Ebay..

If you spend a pro's time shooting and fitting you for a bow, buy one from the guy. Otherwise, I'd disagree with Longbow with this one, respectfully of course.
    I bought my Hoyt off of Ebay because I looked at one at a large sports store and read the reviews and liked what I saw. Its my money, and hey, I saved almost half on the darn thing. I then went to my local archery shop and spent plenty of bread outfitting/customizing it. The archery shop owner was glad for my biz and I 'm glad to patronize him. I shoot there often and it adds up too. So, long and short of it, if you know what you want, buy it on Ebay and let your pro help you set it up. You'll pay him well for all the arrows, releases, broadheads, rangetime etc....
    Make sure you get the proper draw length.

Default Thanks!

Thank you for all the great feed back on my post! Several good points were made. I agree that what feels right is what you should go with. I have a good friend who has a conquest 2. The draw length is about an inch too short for me but it shoots nice. I have heard the conquest 2 is almost identical to the conquest 3 except for the v-lock limbs. I have been wathcing e-bay for the right one but haven't found it yet!! I am almost ready to go order one so I can have it dialed in by the time I go caribou hunting in August. We will see if the Mrs. agrees!!! I might have to wait a little while longer.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow
    Thatís it, shoot a half dozen bows, find the one you like then buy it off e-bay and save $25.00. Thatíll endear you to the local shop owner that spent his time helping you out.

The Conquest wasnít designed for tab shooting, not many of the modern compounds are, but it is pretty forgiving so itís not a bad choice if you want to go that route. I am assuming you buying new so getting it in your length will make it easier. But, as provided above, test drive a few. A bow has to be right for you. And after shooting a few, narrowing it down, and getting some help from the shop owner Ė continue the relationship; itíll pay off down the road when you go back for arrows and accessories.
    Um, not really since you can still take the bow to a bow shop and have them tune it for you.

"Tuning" is part of the sales/service at a pro-shop.

Thumbs up Matthews

I have two Matthew a 3D Vapor and a LX both excellent bows!

Default Mathews

I shot fingers for quite some time. One of my favorite bows when I was shooting fingers was a Conquest 2 with the super soft cam. You can find these used at places like archerytalk.com or call and talk to Bill at Backcountry Archery here in Anchorage. The C2 with that cam was actually designed for finger guys. Im pretty sure Bill has one you can try. If he doesnt have a used on for sale he may know who does. If you really like it PM me and I think I know someone who still has one. I think you would like several new bows as long as they are 37" ATA or longer and have a 65% let-off or less. Stay away from the 80% for fingers. Many have said including myself that shooting that high of let-off with fingers is hard. I guess the easiest way to explain it is you lose a little "snap". I like it with a release, just always had trouble shooten em with fingers. Hope that helps, and good luck.

Default get the c3

you will love it. You can absolutely shoot that bow fingers. It is the model used my most all the mathews prostaff finger shooters until the apex came out. I have a good friend who won 2 national target championships in unlimited pro in 05/06 wiht the c3. Any questions let me know.
    jon marques
    flint hills archery

Long axle to axle means great for finger shooter. Also the braece height is good. This is a very nice bow you willl like it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Im on my 4th mathews, I startedwith a legacy, ovation, LX and am now on a switchback.

The best mathews bow for finger shooters is by far the ovation. Super smooth great bow. If your in Anchorage go take a look at Backcountry archery and talk to bill the owner. He shoots an Ovation with fingers and loves it. Im sure he would let you shoot it.

The conquest is a great bow, but the ovation is much smoother and stable. If You were going to buy used I would steer clear of Ebay. Way to over priced. Take a look at www.archerytalk.com they have a really great classifieds. Very good people and pricing on the bows. Then you can take it to Bill and have him set it up for ya. If you buy all your components from him I bet he doesnt even charge ya to set it up.

Good Luck.

KK

Default conquest 2

I have a conquest 2 and i have to agree and disagree with some of the members,Ebay is a great place to get good deals on all sorts of stuff I personal have purchased 3 bows from ebay and the conquest 2 is 1 of them. once i climbed in my stand and forgot my release and had to shoot bare fingers . blowed through a nice whitetail doe at 30 yards no problem.
    But, as hunting from a climber has its drawbacks this bow is long 41inches axle to axle i am 6'-2'' tall and i have to stand up to take a shot.Texas whitetails are small compared to their northern cousins but are super fast and will duck an arrow in a heatbeat.Another note your local proshop will outfit your bow and tune it for you as long as you buy arrows,strings,rests,ect...from them.They will be happy to service you.
    Oh yea Archery talk classifieds has long auctions and a very small selection. Another note a im going to sell my conquest 2 on ebay because i am going to a Bowtech General a lot shorter bow for climber hunting so I won't have to stand up and shoot.
    God bless

Go check out Back Country Archery. I think he has a used one up for sale. He let's you shoot them and see if it is what you want.

Matt

Bill, has a few Conquest for sale.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up matthews Vapor 3D

Have a Matthews Vapor 3D in excellent condition.......RH 29/30" Draw 60#

$250

490-0307 North Pole

IBO Rating 305 FPS
    Cam(s)
    Number Cam