Thread: How light is 'light' for H110/296 loads?

Default How light is 'light' for H110/296 loads?

Goal: About a 1200 fps load for 500gr bullet in a 500 S&W using H110 powder.

Problem: I've got load data from Hodgdon that says 31 grains will get me about 1400 fps and the max load of 33 grains will get me 1482 fps. I'm going to use H110 for my high-zoot bear loads. I've got Trail Boss and Titegroup for 1000 fps loads (or so), but I'd like to load some medium loads that get around 1150-1250 fps without having to buy yet another can of powder.

I've heard that going too low with H110 can result in unburned powder and possibly stuck bullets in the barrel ...that it requires a higher pressure in order to burn consistently and completely.

Anyone see a problem with using 28 or 29 grains of H110 behind the 500gr bullets ...this is only about 2 or 3 grains less than the minimum load of 31 grains?

I expect this is probably OK, but wanted to see what others think. Anything risky about using H110 at this level? I can achieve my goal with other powders such as Longshot or Lil'Gun ...but like I said, I'd like it better if I could chron some 28 and 29 gr H110 rounds to see if they work OK or not and then stick with this as a good medium load. I don't have the oodles of experience to guess if my idea is OK or not and have never used H110 before. I guess I could just go and try it, but I thought I'd ask the good folks here first...

Thx,
    Brian

I can't answer your question, but I remember something that kind of relates to this. There was a time when some people said that loading down on a powder that was normaly used in a full charge can cause detionation. This was hard to prove I guess but there was a lot of damage done to the gun. I have not herd that argued in years, but I would buy the powder that you need and stick with the book. That way you will have a more consistant load that will be clean burning. Hopes that helps, be safe.

The Hodgdon site lists Longshot and Titegroup as the best powders for hitting your velocity with the 500. One does it with the starting load and the other does it at max. I'd sure be more inclined to follow their reco's than to start reducing 110/296 charges. I've NEVER had any luck with those powders when I drop below recommended starting loads even a little. And Old Guy is right. Hodgdon and a lot of other sources say reduced loads with those powders are dangerous.

Here is their home page. Follow the links to their reloading data center.

I do remember a post from someone, somewhere on the Internet, that built a light load with H110 for his gun and (possibly?) got a stuck bullet ...not sure on that, but his gun was full of unburned powder that had blown all over the place. Others told him that he loaded the H110 too low and it failed to burn properly.

You guys confirmed my fears and my suspicion of exercising all caution being the best route. I'll just byte the boolit and go buy some Longshot ...looks like it'll get me the closest to my target velocities....

Brian

I bought H110 because Ranger Rick at the 50-caliber forums defaults to using it rather than Lil'Gun nowadays and said it burns cleaner. I don't have experience with either ...I just happened to see more votes in the 50-cal forum for H110 than for Lil'Gun and then made my choice. Close 'nuf for now. I'll try Lil'Gun next time ...even if it is a tad dirtier, I clean my guns meticulously after each shoot, so it doesn't matter too much to me if one powder is perfectly clean or not. *OR* maybe I'll look into the N110. The Vihta powders cost more so I may not ...we'll see what mood I'm in after I use up the H110.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by Murphy; 03-03-2008 at 00:37.

Post H-110 loading

I can tell you this. Never, ever, ever go below minimums with H-110, or 296. Actually, 296 IS H-110. Hodgdon puts 110 in a can for Winchester.
    If you need some data that will give you that level, please e-mail me at
    mark.mullins@elmendorf.af.mil
    and i will send you what you need through e-mail.

Yuppers ...I bought the H110 specifically for the biggest loads that I can get behind a 500gr bullet. Actually, to be entirely forthcoming ...behind Rick's 535gr Keith that is.

And yes, for similar energy levels/velocities, Lil'Gun needs about 1-1/2 to 2 grains less than H110 to provide similar performance. There was no significant difference in top-end performance however, so for the biggest loads, you could easily use either. Hope SW carries Longshot for my medium loads ...I think I'll call around.

Brian
    Last edited by Murphy; 03-03-2008 at 00:36.

Sounds good across the board, and yes, I've got the 4" barrel on mine. Bought a pound of Longshot on the way home, so now I have plenty of Titegroup and Longshot and H110 to play with. I have a can of Trail Boss too but it's about half gone and goin' fast. Now that we're having long sunny days, it's time to break out the chrony...

I also have a box of 100 ea 370 gr Precision Cast WFNGC's, 100 ea 440 gr WFNGC's and 200 ea 535 gr Keiths coming from Ranger Rick in addition to a few hundred of those 335 gr Rainier Ballistics LeadSafe electroplated bullets that I have. Lots of fun comin' right up ...

My lead collection is growing too ... I have 2 full 5-gal buckets of wheel weights, 37# in pure lead sheet, and about 75# in wheel weight ingots and lead bullets (recovered range bullets). I need to figure out how to design a 500+ grain bullet at Mountain Molds and then get started with casting ...but geez, I've been spending enough money on this new hobby of mine. I'm trying to go slow on the casting business and try not to get started until next Fall. I'll just smelt the stuff and make ingots for now. Got a nice little iron pot for that now too. So far, the CFO isn't complaining either. I just let her know how much a box of 20 Buffalo Bore or CorBon costs, or even the 'cheap' 500 Special stuff at $36.99 at SW. And so far, my boat plans biz has paid for about 70% of my new pile of stuff

Thanks for all the help and advice ...

Brian

Note: Someone sent me some loads from an online site that showed as low as 24.9gr of H110 behind a 500gr jacketed hollow point. Not sure how that translates to lead, but it's surprisingly below the Hodgdon starting load of 31.0 gr for a 500gr lead bullet...

Brian

110/296 don't do well in lighter loads, in my experience. I have had good luck with 80% to 90% loads with Blue Dot, or 2400, or 4227 with large caliber revolvers, including the .454 and the .500.

I also had good results with 1680 in the .500 at around 1200 fps with the 440 grain bullet, and that surprised me as this powder is slower than 110/296.

Default yup

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Note: Someone sent me some loads from an online site that showed as low as 24.9gr of H110 behind a 500gr jacketed hollow point. Not sure how that translates to lead, but it's surprisingly below the Hodgdon starting load of 31.0 gr for a 500gr lead bullet...

Brian
    There are lots of loads floating around, but you gotta pick the source you trust most when it's your hand wrapped around the testing tool.