Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKS experience?

Default SKS experience?

Looking at picking up an SKS for the trapline/kids/wife/plinking gun, maybe some deer here and there but mostly to give my boys some centerfire experience at an affordable price and to bang around on the trapline.
    Whats everyones experience on those things? accuracy, reliablity, ya know all the typical questions...BUT i'm not asking how it'll perform on brown bear...lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default SKS

The first centerfire rifle Hunt_AK and myself shot was an SKS. Great little gun for kids to get experience of the loud percussion of a centerfire as compared to a .22 lr. The kick is next to nil as the cartridge is small to begin with and the semi-auto action soaks up some as well. Also they have some pretty good heft to them which I experienced when I was 9 or 10 and had to lug that thing around caribou hunting. Didn't get to shoot a caribou with it, but a couple of my buddies shot their first bou with them before graduating to a .308. I have one now and so does my bro. Obviously with the short little barrel they aren't exactly a tac driver but still do decent enough to be in the kill zone of a deer or bou out to 200 yrds IMO. Also to say that the trigger isn't crisp would be an understatement. But they are a great little gun for the price. They are a blast to shoot and plinking ammo doesn't get much cheaper. I say go for it.

cool, thats kinda what i figured, i'm not planning on shooting prairie dogs with it, but a 50 round clip might tempt me to chase some wolves around at some distance with it...lol
    Master guide 212

I don't currently own one, but shot my old one enough to get acquainted before letting it go.

There seems to be a whole lot of variation from one source of the guns to another. Mine was crude enough to be bothersome even though it never jammed. It also wasn't even beer can accurate at 50 yards. Easy to let go of it, even if it was cheap to shoot.

A buddy of mine has a couple that might as well be from a different planet, they're so much better (and no, he won't part with either). Fit and finish are terrific, and both are tack drivers at any range I've shot them.

I don't know enough about them to offer advice on which versions to look for, but surely someone on here can help with that. All I know is that there are SKS's, and there are SKS's, and the difference will be important to your happiness.

For around $300 you can get a Saiga. This is an AK variant with a 'rifle' stock like an SKS, but has detachable mags. The one I have is much more accurate than any of the 3 SKS I've owned. For under $400 you can get a Saiga in .308. AK Shooter's Supply carries them.

Ammo is getting expensive for the SKS.....you may want to consider a pistol caliber carbine as a plinker

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Ammo is getting expensive for the SKS.....you may want to consider a pistol caliber carbine as a plinker
    That's a good suggestion Wild, though my tastes run more to levers than semi's. The Marlin 1894 in 38/357 is my kids' pick of the litter. It's smaller, lighter and easier on the nerve endings for most kids. I prefer the 1894 in 44spec/mag but the kids will leave it laying if the 38 version is on hand. Of course I never bring out my 1894 in 25-20 while they're around, cuzz I'd never get it back.

Default Clips

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    cool, thats kinda what i figured, i'm not planning on shooting prairie dogs with it, but a 50 round clip might tempt me to chase some wolves around at some distance with it...lol
    Just for the record, the after market mags aren't all that reliable. The thirty round mags get beat up pretty easy. However there was a large number of 20 round mags imported which are a direct replacement and function just like the ten round mags. These 20 round mags have a chinese STAR embossed on both sides and aren't much longer than the original box magazine. These mags still load from the stripper clips, 2 clips and it's full, pop the release and the box opens and empties.
    The first thing to do after purchasing an SKS is to dissasemble and clean all the military cosmoline out of it's nooks and crannies. This goo may have been in there for 40 or so years. It will dry up and hold the firing pin in fire position causing a slam fire (hence full auto mode) when the bolt is dropped. The goo in the gas piston tube can cause the piston not to operate giving you a single shot rifle.
    The newer Romanian rifles have a flash hider slash grenade launcher and longer barrel better with sights, The Russian and Chinese rifles have the original battle sights which can be upgraded. Most have chrome lined bores due to the corrosive ammo and it's use in hostile environments. These rifles were used by ALL the Com-Block nations and have been around for 60 yrs.There power is virtually equal to a 30-30 and 154 grn ammo is now available if you want a heavier bullet. The standard military weight bullet would produce less recoil and be cheaper to shoot. This is a close range battle rifle and 0-200 yds. is it's primo working range.
    Caution: If you shoot it fast enough you can set the forearm cover on fire.
    They have a stock built for a smaller people and therefore have a shorter LOP which would better fit a child.
    While working at the gun store I've probable sold over 30,000 SKS's and maybe as many AK's.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

great info guys, bravo who makes the shorter stock?
    Master guide 212

Default SKS

I've owned my SKS since about 2004 and since I've learned tons about them. They are as good a cheap plinker as any you can get, and really fun also. I bought a Yugoslavian M59/66 for 150 at a pawn shop in all numbers matching good condition. I have had very few problems with it. Most problems people have with these guns are from shooting VERY CHEAP ammo that is corrosive or steel cased that may get stuck in the chamber, or they don't clean them enough for it to function correctly. A few sites you can check out for specifically SKS related info are:

www.http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php
    http://www.simonov.net/

The Yugoslavian M59/66 is the ONLY sks to have a grenade launcher. The Romanians do not have one, the only way I could see someone telling you it was a Romanian is if it was imported from Yugoslavia to Romania, then to the US. The Russians are generally the highest priced, as they are some of the most dependable yet stopped being imported long ago. Chinese has lots of variations. The Yugos are still the newest of the crop in the US and that is why they are generally cheaper, but they have no chrome lined bore, unlike the rest. They still shoot just fine. If you are going to modify the gun by adding a removeable magazine or something you better read up on 922r and make sure you aren't breaking any laws. If you want to know more about this I'll try and explain it the best I can.

Bottom line, find a cheap SKS and shoot the heck out of it, its so cheap and fun you'll never regret it!

i had one for a number of years. i took the bayonet off and replaced the stock which was too short for me (i'm 6' 2") with an aftermarket camo fiberglass one. shot the heck out of it. at the time you could get surplus ammo for it for about $100/thousand. i eventually thought about deer hunting with it just for kicks (whitetails down south) and bought some commercial soft point ammo and shot it for accuracy at one hundred yards. a tack driver it aint, but it was definately good enough for deer sized targets at least out to 200. it has the ballistics of a 30-30, but terminal performance seemed a little better, but then how dead is dead.... i liked it a lot for a fun gun/beater gun/truck gun. kids both young and old should like it. i wouldnt let the new ammo cost deter me. ALL ammo is rediculously priced nowadays. hope you enjoy it. by the way, i never had one problem with mine. no jams, failure to feed or fire, no stuck cases. I very seldom cleaned it and except for the couple of boxes of winchester soft points all i ever shot through it was 1960's vintage corrosive surplus. they are tough guns.

Default ANY

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    great info guys, bravo who makes the shorter stock?
    Any of the SKS's have a shorter stock than the one on say your 416, but traditionaly the chinese and russian models tend to be the shortest.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    For around $300 you can get a Saiga. This is an AK variant with a 'rifle' stock like an SKS, but has detachable mags. The one I have is much more accurate than any of the 3 SKS I've owned. For under $400 you can get a Saiga in .308. AK Shooter's Supply carries them.
    I was in there yesterday and they had a Saiga .308 for around $365.

Brwnbr,

I just bought an upper end AK (NHM-91) NIB from 1992. Ammo here is about 19 cents a round compared to 5.3 cents for .22. I have seen SKS's on gunbroker for 200. You might want to check there.

Ron

been looking at the saiga's in the 7.62x39 with the 16" barrel for around 250-300 seems to be the price i run into alot, is there any difference is any these models or years or any changes from one to the other than i should know about?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's a good suggestion Wild, though my tastes run more to levers than semi's. The Marlin 1894 in 38/357 is my kids' pick of the litter. It's smaller, lighter and easier on the nerve endings for most kids. I prefer the 1894 in 44spec/mag but the kids will leave it laying if the 38 version is on hand. Of course I never bring out my 1894 in 25-20 while they're around, cuzz I'd never get it back.
    New 1894Cs in 38/357 are a pain to get right now, the 44s are a bit easier....

I wouldnt let anyone touch the 25/20...very cool

BRWNBR,

Well the Saiga's as I understand shoot ok. Accessories that are AK based , some fit, some do not fit. I only use cheap wolf ammo and have had no issues so far. You might find a cheap sks somewhere, that way all or almost all after market parts will fit. If all you want is a cheap trap line gun, Saiga's will fit the bill. Have you looked on gun broker?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=93270416
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=93269774

Just a thought.....

Ron

Mine really shoots good for a service rifle. Of course I bought this on still in packing grease. Got me a sight adjuster and it is good at 100yds.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Mine really shoots good for a service rifle. Of course I bought this one still in packing grease. Got me a sight adjuster and it is good at 100yds.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

my bro has his FFL and orders stuff so thats probably the route i'd go, but i've been looking on gun broker as well, i've heard theres not much after market parts for these things, but i'm not looking to trick it out, just pull it outa a gun boot off the snow go and lay out some lead if i need to, or let my boys knock back some deer on kodiak with it.
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast