Thread: Caribou - unit 26

Default Caribou - unit 26

OK guys, I need help with some information. Here is the situation: The wife and I are expecting our second child on 9/30. I have been hunting the past 2 years in Montana for Elk. Unfortunately the season opens 9/6. So if I take 7-10 days on d-i-y hunt, I would be taking a big chance of possibly missing the birth. So I am considering a DIY hunt for spring blackies on POW or a unguided hunt for caribou in unit 26. I like the idea of caribou hunting and also having a chance at wolves, plus being able to get 2 caribou is appealing. What I am wondering though, is how is the bowhunting for caribou in July and/or august? When would you recommend going there for a decent size bull (p&y minimum would be nice but not mandatory). Does anyone know what the cost is for shipping meat back to PA from AK?

lots of threads here about hunting along haul road. IBEP card needed
    very buggy in July and most of Aug. warm enough that meat can spoil easily if you get 'bou early. wolves open 10 Aug. only one bull caribou in archery only area until 1 Oct. if wanting to hunt outside archery only area there are flight services out of Happy Valley and i beleive Deahhorse. friends used one out of Happy Vally years ago short 30 minute flight was $600, each. expensive to get to Deadhorse if flying out of there . Alaska airlines flys in there. also i beleive Frontier out of fairbanks flys into Deadhorse different outfit that fronteir down in "America"
    if hunting road system can be tough finding car rental place that will allow it most of national places will not, if any. thing there are threads here about that also here.
    for frieght cost for meat check with carrier( airlines or ups or fedex). if as check in baggage what is that for extra bag $50-75 per #50, again depends on carrier.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    lots of threads here about hunting along haul road. IBEP card needed
    very buggy in July and most of Aug. warm enough that meat can spoil easily if you get 'bou early. wolves open 10 Aug. only one bull caribou in archery only area until 1 Oct. if wanting to hunt outside archery only area there are flight services out of Happy Valley and i beleive Deahhorse. friends used one out of Happy Vally years ago short 30 minute flight was $600, each. expensive to get to Deadhorse if flying out of there . Alaska airlines flys in there. also i beleive Frontier out of fairbanks flys into Deadhorse different outfit that fronteir down in "America"
    if hunting road system can be tough finding car rental place that will allow it most of national places will not, if any. thing there are threads here about that also here.
    for frieght cost for meat check with carrier( airlines or ups or fedex). if as check in baggage what is that for extra bag $50-75 per #50, again depends on carrier.
    Second this. Also the bugs can be really bad up there during this time.
    The caribou can be a hit or miss up there.
    There is also I guy with a air boat the will take you up the ivasak past the 5 mile marker.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Right, I actually plan on getting flown in. Possibly using Alaska Bush Sports. So I won't be hunting along haul road. I would take both gun and bow, but definitely prefer to get one with a bow.

I would not go in July or early August if your looking for a big rack, they are still developing their antlers that time of the year. Also, I was told that that area is going to 1 caribou per year for non-residents after June 30th, I may be wrong about that but someone will correct me if I am.

GARY, how early does the guy with the air boat start? I just always figured it was not until about early to mid Aug!

hunts with stick- you are talking caribou here you could get dropped where there are bou everywhere and by the time you are legal to hunt (3 am next morning) there will be none and you may not see any for the whole time you are there. just the nature of the beast.
    i work up there we will have 1-2 days in July there are caribou everywhere then back to just a few again. flying till you see some then setting down near by and hope they are close by still in am. they typically will be out by coast or in the mountains in july to escape the horges of bugs. be sure to have head net for bugs.....i would even bring extra one just in case you lose the first. if you have never been in Tundra in summer you can not comprehend how bad they are. last year first 3 days toward end of august they were terrible then got cool...almost to freezing and they were nearly gone.
    hopefully the flight service can give you some idea but unlss they are a guide and not just a transporter i do not beleive they can legally suggest where you should go

good luck
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Thanks for all the informations so far guys. Keep it coming. The charter service I would be using is a guide service. It is an unguided drop camp. They did say they would be willing to move me if necessary as well. Are there many wolves in that area? If the 'bou are in the mountains, would that not make them more susceptible to bowhunting?

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    GARY, how early does the guy with the air boat start? I just always figured it was not until about early to mid Aug!
    Good question. I wish I knew his bussiness. I would give him a ring. I usally go up in Aug, so that is when I have seen him up there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

He usually starts around the second week of August from what I've seen the last couple of years.