Thread: EPIRB Recommendations

Default EPIRB Recommendations

Live in Juneau and do a lot of cruising/fishing around Southeast. The boat that went missing recently near Juneau has got me thinking about getting an EPIRB. It's something I've been considering for years, but now I think I may go for it.

Any recommendations on make and model?

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    Live in Juneau and do a lot of cruising/fishing around Southeast. The boat that went missing recently near Juneau has got me thinking about getting an EPIRB. It's something I've been considering for years, but now I think I may go for it.

Any recommendations on make and model?
    Just remember that the hydro release on most roof mounted models doesn't release until the boat sinks about 10feet under the surface, most boats float for awhile before they sink(usually upside down) so your eperb is useless unless you want to junp in and swim under the boat to get it loose. If it were me i'd get one of the small handheld units and keep it strapped to me or in a real handy place to be the 1st thing to grab when the you know what hits the fan.
    I've seen quite a few boats flipped over and/or sunk when gillnetting on the copper river flats and most of them were floating upside down. One aluminum rig that was on fire floated for quite a while before it sunk and that one went down stern first. It was quite a errie feeling watching that one go (they got the guy off ok) it was just burning there then it started to sink and in less than 10 minutes it was gone, not a ripple left where it was, just gone

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default ACR

I would recommend the ACR Aquafix 406 with GPS interface /onboard P-EPIRB.

It is a handheld unit that was already mentioned. We give them to all observers going on commercial fishing boats now. Pretty small, floats, has a lanyard to attaching to your immersion suite (you DO have one or more of those right?) (or at least a float coats....pfds just don't cut it really)(Still any PFD is better than nothing and the very best PFD is the one you wear.)

So far it's been field tested once when a boat sank last year. It registered before the vessels regular EPIRB, and was in the observers hand.

They are about $500 if my memory serves me right? If you can afford it I'd get two. One to store with your suits or a dembarkation kit (abondon ship kit) and another in a handy spot you think you could likley access in an emergancy.

Default ACR for multi purpose...

I purchased the ACR MicroFix for emergencies on remote hunting, hiking and water adventures. Iv'e never had to "use" it but when on the water I carry it on my vest at all times...

Here are several threads that talk about similar stuff...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=7171

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=9324

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20305

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=19027

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=10977

Thumbs up ACR

I second, well, third, the ACR aquafix with/gps. Great product. I have the terrafix and take it on all my float trips. Very high quality product. Check into their aquafix and I am sure you will be impressed.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Looks like everyone is recommending one of the personal epirbs over the larger models. ACR recently came out with an new model--the ResQfix--although the Aquafix models are still available. So I'm taking a hard look at both of these models.

So far as I can tell, the primary difference between the small, personal epirbs and the larger models is battery life. Also, of course, the larger models can be mounted in hydrostatic releases, and be automatically deployed when the boat sinks. I tend to share Potbuilder's views of a hydrostatic release on a boat of my size and in the waters that I operate. I also tend to think that the battery life of the personal units is probably sufficient for my needs.

Any dissenting views on personal epirbs versus the larger models?

Well, in the absence of any dissenting views, I went ahead and ordered a ResQfix. Paid around $555 online.

Thanks very much for the input.

Great choice!! Now don't forget the immersion suits!

I just purchased the Aquqfix with GPS on-line for $467 and $15 shipping.

Also, I don't want to hijack this thread, but where's the best place to get a couple of survival suits at a decent price? I was looking at the Imperial's...about $275 on-line plus shipping.

That's a good price. In anchorage you can try eagle survices they carry them. I think they cost more.
    Also if you are a little bigger imperial are great. They are a little bigger than baileys.