Thread: Snow Chickens on the Menu

Smile Snow Chickens on the Menu

I gave my "spot" a rest for a couple of months, but the clear skies and sunshine got me itching the other day. I grabbed a buddy and we headed up to snoeshoe after ptarmigan. We busted through snow for an hour, then sat up on top of the mountain listening and watching for birds. Suprisingly enough, there were berries all over on top where the wind blew the snow off (got my fav gortex pants all purple). We heard the bird herd, then finally got them spotted and made some harvesting at about 75 yards with our boom-sticks. I used a .22 Mag and my buddy used a .22 10-22. The trip was rejuvenating and the eats are sweet. I love this land.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Envy

Man that is awesome. And I have to read it stuck at work. Ben

Its pretty cool when you run into a big flock of them like that and just have a field day. Do you know of good places where they are plentiful? I have only come across some on occasion, but not ever found a place with a bunch of them around.

Default snow conditions

I was curious how the snow conditions were up there. I would like to get the dogs out again before the season ends. You were on snowshoes and did just fine...how was the snow in terms of a dog traveling? Which slopes were better for a dog (east, west etc)? Was it soft, deep or crusted? Dont need to know your spot, just the type of area I might find the best for the dogs.

Nice going. Man now I'm hungry.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Snow Conditions

Hey Burke, The snow conditions were good for this time of year. Our Chinooks have left the south-facing slopes patchy with lots of brush for the birds to hide in and eat. The north-facing slopes were crusty and difficult to navigate even with snowshoes...I get tired of "post-holing" every step. I didn't find many bird tracks on the north-facing slopes, nor did I shoot any on them. I think your dogs would do just fine as the crust seemed to hold me most of the time without snowshoes. I made the mistake of walking up to a few shot birds in just boots and sank up to my waist; I looked pretty dumb as I was "stuck" and the only way out was to "swim/crawl" to where I could get a pair of snowshoes on my feet.

I BBQ'd the birds with a piece fo green chile wrapped in bacon on the grill. You know it's good when my 3 kids tear it up at the table. Good Luck out there. I think only less than an month left of the season...

Default thanks...

...for the update.
    Ummm, sounds good. Might have to try the recipe if I get lucky.
    I think, the season closes this coming weekend...last chance!

I worry about snow. It's easy slip over there.