Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 win mag amo

Default .45 win mag amo

I have a L.A.R. Grizzly in .45 win. mag. It is the only gun I know of that is chambered in this caliber. I do not presently know of anywhere in the state where I can buy factory ammunition for it. If anybody knows of a location that sells .45 win. mag. please let me know. I am currently out of ammo.

I haven't seen ammo for that one on the shelves in over ten years. IN Midway catalog there is still Winchester listed in the 260 grain load $23 for 20 rounds. That's pretty pricey. I can make it. Do you have fired brass? I don't think dies are even available anymore.

Do you handload? It is an easy round to load for. I have some Kodiak bonded 260 grain bullets that will work just fine in that one. You could have 100 rounds of new hand made ammo in Starline brass for about $75, if you live near Fairbanks. Or you could trade that thing off something more common.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Midway still shows .45 Win Mag dies on it's website.

I have loaded several thousand rounds of 45 Win Mag using 45 ACP dies with no problems.

Default 45 Win Mag dies

I know there is a set of 45 Win Mag dies at Great Northern Guns that have been there a while. You night get a deal on them. Don't know if they still have any ammo left.

I remember seeing loaded ammo at Freddies in Fairbanks.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post
    I have loaded several thousand rounds of 45 Win Mag using 45 ACP dies with no problems.

That's true, they work fine with a little adjustment.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've got a Grizzly too. I think I saw some factory ammo at Sportmans Warehouse in Anchorage. This wasn't recently though so you could call and ask. The stuff is so expensive I've never bought any factory ammo just used handloaded ammunition. I bought a .45acp conversion kit for it and that makes factory ammo cheaper.

Default Tammy63

Are you asking for a place in Alaska to buy this ammo. or would you be interested in ordering from a store in the lower 48? Bob

Boon Docks Eagle River

If you are tired of lugging it around and trying to get ammo for it and decide to offload it drop me a line.

There is a satin chrome mark IV 44 mag on gunbroker buy it now is 1199.99 that is an incredible price. Surprisingly it is the lowest priced grizzly on gunbroker.

Your 45 win mag should easily be worth $1200+.

$23 per box of 20 factory rounds is less than what my 41 mag rounds cost. But I am not sure that you can get ammo shipped to Alaska except through an FFL.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

If you know anyone that reloads they can use trimmed 30-06,308,270,25-06,243 cases. I loaded up a bunch for a friend several years ago for his 45 Win Mag and they worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jmckenney View Post
    If you know anyone that reloads they can use trimmed 30-06,308,270,25-06,243 cases. I loaded up a bunch for a friend several years ago for his 45 Win Mag and they worked just fine.

Can be done but you will need to ream the case mouth down about 1/2" because those cases are so thick in the body. Yes I've made many cases that way for the 45 WM and 44 Auto Mag. but the .451 bullets will fit too tight if the case isn't reamed.

Starline Brass costs $25 per 100. There is no reason to make brass from rifle cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I haven't seen ammo for that one on the shelves in over ten years. IN Midway catalog there is still Winchester listed in the 260 grain load $23 for 20 rounds. That's pretty pricey. I can make it. Do you have fired brass? I don't think dies are even available anymore.

Do you handload? It is an easy round to load for. I have some Kodiak bonded 260 grain bullets that will work just fine in that one. You could have 100 rounds of new hand made ammo in Starline brass for about $75, if you live near Fairbanks. Or you could trade that thing off something more common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Can be done but you will need to ream the case mouth down about 1/2" because those cases are so thick in the body. Yes I've made many cases that way for the 45 WM and 44 Auto Mag. but the .451 bullets will fit too tight if the case isn't reamed.

Starline Brass costs $25 per 100. There is no reason to make brass from rifle cases.
    But isn't it nice to have the knowledge that it can be done should brass become unavailable or too expensive??

Quote Originally Posted by jmckenney View Post
    But isn't it nice to have the knowledge that it can be done should brass become unavailable or too expensive??

Yes defiantely. The 308 is better fodder than the 270/'06 because it has less taper and is larger in diameter at the mid point. You have to run them in the trim die, with an extended shell holder, cut it off and clean up the "mouth" then expand it in the expander die, then back into the form die (trim die) which sizes it down from the "over expanding" due to excessive wall thickness then ream the neck with the neck reamer (expensive tool) of the proper size, then trim to correct length and clean/chamfer case mouth then size, expand, prime, charge, seat a bullet and taper crimp, now you're ready to fire form. Piece of cake!

It takes five different dies (I use 45 ACP taper crimp separately) and two different shell holders, a neck reamer, a hack saw and a monkey wrench! I'm tired just writing about it and that was just one round. But this is just a hobby so time is never an issue.

Default 45 win mag

There is ammo for the Grizzly 45 Win Mag listed for sale at gunbroker.com

Exclamation Yes We're a manufacturer of 45 Win Mag ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by yoge View Post
    I have a L.A.R. Grizzly in .45 win. mag. It is the only gun I know of that is chambered in this caliber. I do not presently know of anywhere in the state where I can buy factory ammunition for it. If anybody knows of a location that sells .45 win. mag. please let me know. I am currently out of ammo.
    I know your dilemma. I'm a Grizzly person too.

First, let me say that you have a very fine weapon there! And there are two other firearms that are chambered in the 45 Winchester Magnum caliber:

The Wildey, which is what the cartridge was originally designed for (a problematic weapon), Thompson Center (But that goes w/o saying), and there may be one other.

Give us a week or so and you can order manufacturer direct. We're a federally licensed manufacturer of ammunition and are ramping up to deliver a new line of personal defense ammo in various pistol calibers.

You can order straight from our website, as we have an online store and we currently have a few thousand rounds ready to go, although we haven't put them up into the inventory there.

Currently, we only have two variations on 45 Winchester Magnum ammunition, but we'll be adding more as we go since, as you have pointed out, "There isn't any out there!!!!"

Here at my shop I can tell you that I've been on back-order for 45 Win Mag for almost two years w/at least four distributors - I've given up after being down to my last 50 or so rounds (translated - I can't shoot my Grizzly coz I don't want to run out of ammo).

The address to my store's website is on my signature line.

Okay then, here's what we have, and in about a week or so you'll see it in the online store:

1.) 230 Grain JHP

2.) 230 Grain FMJ Ball

We only use nickel brass cases and provide all pressure and velocity specs for our ammunition.

Both of the variations above are right at what the stock Winchester velocities and pressures were.

We also have Grizzly discussion forums and other boards too. Let us know if there's anything you would like us to put up on the site or add as far as discussion boards go.

Later, we'll be introducing our "hydraulic" line of personal defense ammunition in 9mm, 38 spl, 357 Magnum, 38 Super Auto, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 50 GI calibers.

Kindest regards,

Quote Originally Posted by yoge View Post
    I believe I made ammo for your Grizzly a while back it is still available if you still want it. We misconnected on emails and I guess the word never got to you. Send me a PM.

Default reloading

If I remeber right my Hornady carbide dies specify use on 45acp, 45wm, and 45 colt. I bought 1000 new winchester 45wm primed brass from Cabelas a while ago. In my LAR Grizzly, the 230 grain bullets work great as well as the speer 260 grain. Hard time feeding the xtp's and gave up on them. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast