Thread: I guess it true what they say about Federal Primers.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default I guess it true what they say about Federal Primers.

Since everybody is being good to me these days, I might as well put something else up for consideration.

I usta own a snub-nosed Rossi 38 Special Revolver, and a time or two, it didn't go bang, apparently because the primer wasn't indented properly.

I did two things to remedy this problem, and had no more misfires.

First, I increased the tension on the hammer spring, by putting a spacer under a little toggle thingy that held the hammer spring. It was easily accessible when I removed the grips.

Second, I switched to Federal Primers, because I was told that they were softer than the CCIs that I was using. I began using Federal Small Pistol primers in both 38 and 357 handloads, and have continued even though I no longer have that 38 Special, and presumably no longer have the potential problem either.

NOW, recently, I went to a Gun Show, and like many good husbands have done, I purchased a rather unique 38 Special revolver for my Lovely Wife. BTW, she really likes it, even though, she isn't a Gun Nut like me. She is quite sensible, although I suppose, you could make the case that she had a rather serious lapse in judgment, some 35 plus years ago.

This is what I've discovered so far. When I shoot any of the 38 Special handloads, I have made up, 1 or 2, out of 6, of them have slightly pierced primers. This is noticeable because of some yaller colored stain on the firing pin.

OK, IF, I use factory loads, or handloads with the CCI Small Pistol Primers this doesn't occur, or at least hasn't ever, so far, and I've put quite a few cylinders full through the gun so far.

SO, can I feel comfortable that the Federal Primers are too soft for this revolver?

AND, that Federal Primers, are indeed softer than some others, like the CCIs and the ones in Winchester Factory loads?

OR, can there be another problem, like with the gun, as in the firing pin on the hammer having a, too sharp edge, so that it occasionally cuts into the primer cup?

This revolver is a Colt Police Positive, with a 4 inch barrel.

Thanks for any insights, notions, etc..
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Holy Cow!

I'd sure be asking questions in your shoes, too.

If it was mine, I'd sure suspect something is going on in the gun and that you're coming close to piercing primers in the other loads, even if it's not quite happening.

I can honestly say I've never pierced a Fed primer- large or small, regular or magnum- in all the years I've used them. And all combined, I'm talking 5,000 to 10,000 pistol primers a year. Probably 2,000 to 3,000 are standard Federal small pistol primers in 38 spec and 357 mag. About half of those are moderate to light loads, but the rest are pretty hot without exceeding "book" max. I also experience no misfires with them, even after a few years' storage, which was a persistent problem with CCI's stored in the same cabinet. Other's mileage will almost certainly vary from mine.

In your shoes I'd quit firing the pistol entirely until a smith looked closely at the firing pin.

Today, I fired 44 rounds that I loaded with CCI primers, and there wasn't even a hint of a pierced primer. The indentations looked normal to me.

Then, I fired 6 rounds of the same exact load, that I had loaded in the past, using Federal Primers, and 3 of the 6 were pierced.

The load was 9 grains of IMR 4227, and 158 grain cast SWCs.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Wierd! I don't know what to say, except kee the Feds away from this particular gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Wierd! I don't know what to say, except kee the Feds away from this particular gun.
    Yeah, I have a good Gunsmith. I'm gonna consult him about it, show him the gun, and the fired cases. Maybe I'll get him to polish up the firing pin tip, if he thinks it's warranted, or do it myself.

The hammer spring inside is a leaf spring, so it might be a can of worms to lighten it.

Thanks for your help.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.