Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Shrimp pot weights

  1. #1
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default Shrimp pot weights

    I've been telling folks to add a good amount of weight to my pots or the other pots(brand X) they already have. I was in one of the many thrift shops in town the other day, one of my addictions, when i saw and bought some perfect material for pot weights! It was a old bar about 5feet long from a weight lifting set, its solid steel rod about 1" in diameter nice & compact and heavy, all i've got to do is cut it to length and tie it into the pots, just perfect in my humble opinion and best of all it was only two bucks! such a deal . Now you'll more bucks to buy my pots with !!!
    So if folks listen to me and weight their pots properly and use PLENTY of bouyline, 25-30% more than the depth, i'd bet 75% of the stolen pots problem would go away, thats just my outlook on things. carry on

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  2. #2
    Member DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I've been telling folks to add a good amount of weight to my pots or the other pots(brand X) they already have. I was in one of the many thrift shops in town the other day, one of my addictions, when i saw and bought some perfect material for pot weights! It was a old bar about 5feet long from a weight lifting set, its solid steel rod about 1" in diameter nice & compact and heavy, all i've got to do is cut it to length and tie it into the pots, just perfect in my humble opinion and best of all it was only two bucks! such a deal . Now you'll more bucks to buy my pots with !!!
    So if folks listen to me and weight their pots properly and use PLENTY of bouyline, 25-30% more than the depth, i'd bet 75% of the stolen pots problem would go away, thats just my outlook on things. carry on
    Couldn't agree more. I weight all my pots with rebar. Works great and you can usually find scape laying around for little to nothing.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I weight all my pots with rebar. Works great and you can usually find scape laying around for little to nothing.
    just use rebar for the whole pot??? that is what i do..

  4. #4
    Member DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarbear36 View Post
    just use rebar for the whole pot??? that is what i do..
    I put two 20" pieces of rebar in the bottom of my pots and zip tie into place. Helps weight it and keeps the bottom of the pot heavier.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

  5. #5

    Default How Much?

    How much wieght (in pounds) do you reccomend? I havn't lost a pot yet, so I would like to know I am adding enough weight, and not just getting lucky

  6. #6

    Default

    How do you feel about using only a mushroom anchor on the end of the line? That's what I do, although I wonder sometimes if any of the pots end up end up off the bottom when the wind blows the buoy hard and the slack is taken out of the line.

  7. #7
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default If

    If you think you need weight, rocks are free.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  8. #8
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    I fill a coke can with lead. Then after it's hard I peel the can away. I stick the weight in the middle of the pot. comes out to be around 5#. Holds good to the bottome
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  9. #9
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Our pots are made out of rebar - no need to add weight. We just re-cover our old commercial pots, as my family shrimped the Sound commercially before the oil spill. We've still got 100+ pots, so when one gets damaged we just recover another one.

  10. #10
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Netting

    Brian: Where you you buy the 1" replacement netting from? I have searched and found a lot of netting but none 1". Thanks.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  11. #11
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    What do you guys think of these? Galvanized steel with a vinyl coating? 4lbs. Two to a pot should be nice.
    P2280173.JPG
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-28-2008 at 14:01. Reason: forum rule violation - advertising prohibited

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  12. #12
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Brian: Where you you buy the 1" replacement netting from? I have searched and found a lot of netting but none 1". Thanks.
    Dave,
    Hope you are talking about 1" square measured mesh not 1" stretched. 1" stretched ain't legal to cover a pot with but its ok for the tunnels.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  13. #13
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I fill a coke can with lead. Then after it's hard I peel the can away. I stick the weight in the middle of the pot. comes out to be around 5#. Holds good to the bottome
    Try puting 2 of them in a pot, they might fish better for you.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  14. #14
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default NO

    Talking 1" nylon webbing. As long as a 7/8" dowel can be pushed through the opening easily it is legal. You do not have be be able to push through each square.

    Most of the regulations you are reading are for 1" mesh. There was no change until 2 years ago when the 1" square wire use was increasing. Then they changed the escape mechanism for some reason and posted the opening size wrong in the regulations. The book shows a 4" but it has to be 5". Now your escape openings fall off once the rotten cotton rots.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  15. #15
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Dave,
    Hope you are talking about 1" square measured mesh not 1" stretched.
    Yep, it's 1" square. We've had to re-cover a few times as the regs have changed over the years, but I've been boarded and checked. We're legal.

  16. #16
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Dave - My father bought it in bulk, but I'm not sure where from. I'll have to ask and get back to you.

  17. #17
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Try puting 2 of them in a pot, they might fish better for you.
    You are just trying to kill me in pulling up all that weight. 10# of lead and 25# of shrimp. I won't see 40 if I do what you say
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  18. #18
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Dave,
    1" square mesh is 2" stretched mesh and your right about the 7/8" dowel passing thru, you need at least that size because of the thickness of the twine closing the size of the mesh down. I'm going to differ with you on the escape opening size? I'm looking at the 2007 regs and it still states 4"square for rigid pots and 6" for webbed/mesh pots.When the law was written/passed Matt Miller the shrimp biologist in anchorage emailed me the new regs "hot off the press" as he put it and the wording and picture he sent me say 4". Where did you hear of 5"???
    P2280176.JPG

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  19. #19
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    You are just trying to kill me in pulling up all that weight. 10# of lead and 25# of shrimp. I won't see 40 if I do what you say
    Don't forget the weight of the pot itself

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  20. #20
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Error

    Potbuilder you are correct. It is 4" but drawn as 3" in the regulation book. I knew there was an inch difference. Funny that they did not change the book from last year to this year. Page 4 of the PWS regs shows the error.

    That is what I get from drawing from memory at my age.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •