Thread: what kind of heavy metal?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default what kind of heavy metal?

looking at getting a couple molds for this saltwater season and thought you guys might be able to help me out. what do you like to use for halibut, rockfish,lings and salmon out there. definatley looking at getting a spire point jig mold in 12oz to start maybe a 16 oz after. bigger slabs are on a custom order deal and can be quite expensive. also looking at some squid shaped jig heads that look pretty cool. heres some jigs that i have done so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those look great! Did you finish they with an air brush? My old stand by is a buzz bomb. I have caught everything from rock fish, ling, salmon, skate, and lots of halibut including a 207 pounder. I guess we just tend to fish what we have confidence in. I would use any of those in a heart beat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Very nice. I would like to see the action with the silvers on those. I am with spoiled one on the buzz bombs. I have caught more fish on silver buzz bombs than anything else.

Let us know how they work. Very interested in the results.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Jigs

B- 2 Squid, Silver Crocodile, 41/2 oz Cast Master, Pixie, Diamond Jigs, all kinds of 10 oz and heavier lead jigs with rubber bodies

Default powder coating

i will probably get an airbrush sometime but powder coating is what i am using now. i dont think that there is a buzz bomb mold available. although i have never used one i have heard great things about them. i wonder whats the more attractant in making them work so well? action, color, or the sound. the sound could be easily imitated by attaching a spinner blade like they use for topwater baits to create a ruckus. i imagine if you attached this blade directly to the line above a weight of some sort with a stop and a bead for it to ride on it would definately create a sonic rukus.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

I would be intersted in buying some from you if you are selling.

Default Cast?

Are those things heavy? Can you cast them along ways?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

that must be powder through a non static system? straight onto a hot part, right?

I also play around and i've powdered everything from weights to bare hooks. If you want to see those colors come alive, put a gloss clearcoat powder on top. I use wild color combinations on pixees and other metal spoons that have been ravaged by salt water.

yes powder coating directly onto a hot surface. the clear gloss is come pretty cool stuff. sure brightens things up like this foil shad that i just made the other day. turned out pretty well making the cross pattern in the foil then powder coating over the top. the minnows are 4 oz thats the jig pattern and the shads come in both 4 and 6 oz. the pic of the four are the 6 oz and the foil is a 4 oz. both similar in dimension just a fatter body on the 6 oz. the next foil job i might try and use a more rigid line instead of the blend look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

foil as in tin foil glued to the part or a chrome/silver powder undercoat? If you want to blend and do fades, use candy colors, they will blend completely. For example, candy red and blue candy will blend into a purple where they meet. You'll need to put a similar shiny surface underneath for it to work though otherwise the colors turn out very dark. I've done fishing reels too. cool stuff. Obviously, i use a static system and i have all kinds of colors available at work. ..only 2 flourescents though green and orange.

Default high temp foil tape

i get it from work. they use it for fire retardant vapor barrier. seems to work well and i can stamp textures into this stuff and it holds. just a clear coat over the top to protect and seal it in. i use a fluid bed for my base coats, do not have any kind of gun to apply. powder coating available from work eh? that must be nice. i get mine form ebay in pound increments. pound goes a long way when you are doing 4 to 6oz jigs. translucents are cool. i have a brass translucent that i use for cod imitations and a blue that is pretty brutal. havent found a good color combo with this stuff.

Those are some sweet looking jigs. I know that bucktail would rock the silvers! The other looks good too. I would loose the treble on the bottom and put an assist hook on the top of that jig. if you PM me with your mailing address I will send you a few.

Default good idea

i didnt even think of that. see alot of the newer butterfly jigs set up that way. do you tie your own capt? looked on ebay and they look pretty spendy for the pretied. anyway pm sent.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    i use a fluid bed for my base coats, do not have any kind of gun to apply. powder coating available from work eh? that must be nice. i get mine form ebay in pound increments. pound goes a long way when you are doing 4 to 6oz jigs. translucents are cool. i have a brass translucent that i use for cod imitations and a blue that is pretty brutal. havent found a good color combo with this stuff.

We have not had any luck getting good consistent results with a golden candy colors either, we've tried about 3, so i'm not surprised there. The translucent blue we use is Tiger's and it's very good for us..we get it in their standard boxes, 50lb's i think. Candy colors should be put on a very clean clear and bright surface (or one made with a chrome powder) otherwise it bakes into a very dark, uneven, non-translucent look.

Anyways, I'd be interested in trading powders for some of your jigs if you're looking. Your jigs look pretty cool. For a Cod, I think a copper vein would work. silver vein...depending on what you're doing. Check i out, ebay sellers have some on display, it's called "antique copper" for some brands. It's a metallic copper with black veins. Like i said, i have many many colors at my disposal and they don't mind personal use as long as i'm not rolling out 300lb barrels to the car.

Default littles

check your private messages.

Default Good lookin lures

Hey guys, if you pooled your resources, and produced those lures for sale for a buck less than Cabela's, Sportsman's, etc, you might find a nice little source of off season fun and profit.

Default no profit in it

last year when i aquired quite a bit of lead i seen dollar signs flashing before my eyes. after a couple months the reality set in and i relaized that there is not much profit in jigmaking. might make enough to support your habit thing at best. i actually have some im advertising in the swap n sell and craigs list for 3 dollars apiece which is a great deal i think but lotsa looks but no takes. even if you were to sell quite a few i have approximatley an hour in each jig depending ob what goes into it so its more of a save money hobby thing.

I'd rather have you work an hour on those and me pay you 3 bux for em, cuz sometimes they don't last 3 minutes on my rod out there is PWS

Those look great, and they'd find a place in my tackle assortment

Default Metal Jigs

I have to agree with John there is not enough profit in making jigs out of lead to make it worth your time. You always have that worry about your health as lead is very toxic. I poured 400 pounds of lead weights last month and it took me 3 days to do it. I just can not take the fumes that the lead gives off and I did it out side with a wind blowing. I purchased some large metal jigs 16 oz in size that look like a large krocodile spoon type jig. The guy how makes them uses a plazma cutter and a press. He then puts a strip of reflective tape on them for color. Have not tried them but look forward and will post results.