Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharatin Bay Kodiak Alaska

Default Sharatin Bay Kodiak Alaska

Want to know if anybody has ever hunted here before and if so would you like to share any advice on what is the best way to hunt this area.

Thanks
    Dean

Default That's pretty far north

Depends.... When are you hunting?
    What are you hunting for? If for deer keep in mind Kodiak lost approx 10,000 deer last winter, and approx 8,000 of those were from the northern end of Kodiak which has a lower population in general than the southern end as it is. It's gonna take a few years for the population to rebuild.

I have a brown bear tag and will be hunting from 6-13 may.

i used to guide that permit area, two words, native land use permit....(?) afognak native corp patrols the area and WILL hammer on you if they catch you on their land!1 theres a guide camp in teh south end of kizuyak and he WILL be in the south end of that bay every day and for the april hunt before you show up. south end of shartin there is a guide in there as well, don't know much more about them.
    Don't hunt the peninsulas, get back in the drainageas and hunt the nasty stuff, they'll be picking grass in the crevases and gorges as well as the slopes just below snow line, but look up high in the snow as well. bears will be rubbin' pretty good by then, leaves might start to bud if its a warm spring, but its a great spring area, waste of time in the fall if you ask me, but a great spring tag.
    Peshacanti canyon is a good one to, the guide in kizuyak uses its off and on, but not all the time. Good luck, hunt high long and hard, scent is everything!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thank you for the information. My original thoughts was to go up the east side of Elbow creek. and see if I can spot any movement. From google maps it looks like there are some clearings.

Dean

clearings? lol ya there are some clearings, snow level will probably be down around 1200-1500 feet that time of year, grass will still be down as well, elbow creek is steep and bears love steep stuff, every now and then i'd see one on the bottom in may, but usually just passing thru and usually young and dumb bears were all i've ever seen down low in that area in the spring. They've got no rhyme or reason to what they do that time of year, boars will be starting to tail the sows, which can lend a hand to them getting killed, just stalk the sow and wait for the boar, he'll be there.
    Just get on a perch and glass, try to glass about 14-18 hours a day, the longer you can go the more productive it'll be!
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up

I hunted this area last year in the last part of may and all we seen was two bears the whole time we spent there.
    That area was very slow with spring with a lot of snow left over from winter .
    We needed snow shoes most of the time up high and needed crampons in some areas .
    I think the bears was still asleep or something .
    As BRWNBR said glass,glass and do more glassing !!!!!!!!!!!
    That is what we did .
    The two bears we seen was on the beach and very badly rubbed , they both were about 7 foot bears and one of them looked like it had mange on it's legs , I think that was from busting through hard crusty snow ??? Not sure .
    The weather was great the whole time there except it did rain a couple days and with that we had the wind.
    Seen just a couple other people there and herd no gun shots the whole time .

On a side note our bear fence worked great , it kept all the bears out of the whole Sharatin Bay area !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Rick were you in elbow creek or kizuyak bay? in may in kizuyak we usually see upwards of 20 bears per hunt.
    Master guide 212

We spent our entire time in the elbow creek drainage !!!!!!!
    Should of crossed over to kizuyak bay sound like .
    We had a great time regardless of no bears , did not see many deer either ??????
    Maybe if we left camp we would of seen something !!!!!!!!!!!!

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

lol@leaving camp!
    one year we had some residents hunting in kizuyak where i was guiding they set up their tents on the trail so every morning a couple hours before they were even outa bed i'd walk right thru the middle of their two tents and say good morning and snap the guy lines on their tent, needless to say they never shot a bear, its a wonder i never got shot either, they musta slept hard.
    spring time the farther back you and get the better, brown bear on the beaches is a rarety, i've seen two bears in 11 years on the beaches of kodiak. get high, get far and stay long....
    Master guide 212

Hmmm, so I should forget about elbow creek and go to the west side of Sharatin and head up into the hills. From looking at the Native Corporation Map I should not be on there land if I do that. Also just for everybody's info it is $700 resident fee and $1300 Non resident fee to hunt native land in Sharitin and Kizhuyak bay.

ya ANC likes to charge the dough to get across their land. the west side of shartin would be a tough hunt, its not real user friendly. your gonna cut your selfshort by not having the land use permit. this is the stuff people need to check BEFORE they apply for a tag so their ready to make the most of it when the time comes.
    One guy might not have seen many bears in elbow, you may see 50, but i'll garuntee you won't see if one there if you don't go there..guide logic talking sorry..lol I'd take elbow creek over the west side of sharatin every day of the week. just get high and glass high and glass low and glass long long long and play the wind, in a canyon like that it'll effect the bears.
    Master guide 212

Heres looking up elbow creek drainage and a few other pic's of the area .

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Thanks for the pictures that helps me out alot. ANC only owns part of the land on the west side, were I was planning on going it was not going to affect me anyway. But you are very right, I should have checked out who owned the lands prior to putting in for the permit.

Any reason for the short 7 day hunt?

I would bet you will see more if you use your full 15 days to hunt.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Unfortunately that is all the time I can spare to go. I wish I could go for longer

I hunted Kodiak last year and saw 6 bears on the beach. I wasn't hunting the North part of Kodiak though. I was there for 5 days and saw 13 bears. I shot my right on the beach. The bigger bears were up higher. Best of luck ... and glass your butt off.
    Chuck

Would it be a good idea to pack waders along on a hunt like this?

Default waders/hip boots

Yes, that would be a good idea. LOL!!!

i belive "kodiak" is another Alaskan word for " boots of rubber"...just got done with a hunt on kodiak and the client didn't bring his rubber boots, brought leathers along...ohhhh his only regret the whole trip was not having rubber boots or hip boots, for the creeks, the rain, tide changes and busting thru the snow!! there is lots of it over there right now and its just starting to soften up....
    decided where your gonna hunt yet??
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast