Thread: Red Shirt Lake

Default Red Shirt Lake

im just fishing for some info. i have taken three trips to Red Shirt now. never leaving with more than 1 northern. ive drilled tons of holes mostly from where the trail comes on to the lake up to the puc cabins, both sides. is there a hot spot on this lake or what? ive heard such good things about it id hate to give up.

I never had good luck there till I used an entire small herring. Then I killed them. I did best by that island in the middle with the cabin.....on the lee side there is a shallow bay...that is where I have caught the most fish.

thats excatly where i was this weekend and using herring. not so much as a nibble had one flag around 9am. that was it. on the other side was a bunch of over flow and alot of old holes so i tried there for awhile...nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    im just fishing for some info. i have taken three trips to Red Shirt now. never leaving with more than 1 northern. ive drilled tons of holes mostly from where the trail comes on to the lake up to the puc cabins, both sides. is there a hot spot on this lake or what? ive heard such good things about it id hate to give up.
    Hmm....... So I have always hammered the northern there. Small mepps work okay, frogs are lame at best, various critters naa. Two words, panther martin! Later in the day when it is cool and dusk find lilly pads and work your spinner through there (hard to do without getting snags so just work the edges if you have to). I know it is weird since it is more a trout lure but I have killed them on Panther Martins, mostly black with dots and yellow with dots.

I usually go in the first half of June so not sure how relavent this is to ice fishing! SMILE
    Last edited by DMan; 02-27-2008 at 18:52. Reason: adding
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    thats excatly where i was this weekend and using herring. not so much as a nibble had one flag around 9am. that was it. on the other side was a bunch of over flow and alot of old holes so i tried there for awhile...nothing.
    Keep in mind if there was a valley lake that was over fished for pike it would be either Flathorn or Redshirt. Not saying the population is in any trouble but the small ones get caught out fast, and the larger ones are smart, and can be weary due to pressure. Give it a couple more weeks and they should get alot more active, and less picky.

Default like they used to say go deep

Pike are one of my favorite fish to hunt, but I find my self 15 to 20 feet for fish that seem to have nice size. jig in one hand and bait rod in other.