Thread: Mystery fish

Default Mystery fish

While fishing at my brothers place, Larsen bay, Kodiak, I caught a fish I'm having trouble IDing. Cant find it on the DFG website nor others. It was an orangish colored fish like a yellow eye ,fairly similar in build to one too, but it had a blue mouth, interior of the mouth. Any ideas? Kinda wish I had a pic of it to post.

my first guess is a female kelp greenling, they are sort of a speckled yellow/red.
    the blue mouth pretty much narrows it down to the greenling/lingcod family.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Midget

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    my first guess is a female kelp greenling, they are sort of a speckled yellow/red.
    the blue mouth pretty much narrows it down to the greenling/lingcod family.
    Yeah but the build? If it's built like a yelloweye then no way it's a kelp greenling or ling cod unless it's a dwarf. (at least that I've ever seen)
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Yeah but the build? If it's built like a yelloweye then no way it's a kelp greenling or ling cod unless it's a dwarf. (at least that I've ever seen)
    Well....I'm going off memory from last july. Thinking real hard maybe the build
    could have been slightly more elongated than a rockfish but it wasnt quite as elongated as the lings we catch here in S cal.

Looked up some pics of kelp greenlings and I'm pretty sure it was a female I caught. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

As far as I know there are no blue mouthed rockfish that are mainly reddish in alaska. We have a blue rockfish, but it's very rare, and all blue with a white belly. (blueish/black color really).
    1) you sure it's a rockfish? (ie must have had anal spines, must have spines in the beginning of the dorsal fin, and then rays after the spines.)
    2) how big was it? 2 lbs, 5lbs or more?
    3) was it football shaped or narrow?
    4) strong head spines or weak head spines? Any idea how many pairs of head spines it had?
    5) did you eat it? if so what color was the meat, and was it flakey? (and did it taste good?)

Was it a light dusky? Could have been a strange yellowmouth rockfish, but they are not usually found in Ak.
    AS a pure guess I'd second the greenling.

Might have been a juvinile Skilfish - very rare and when they get big they live in deep water like blackcod. When they are juviniles they look like a cross between a copper rockfish and a snowy grouper. When they get bigger they look like a snowy grouper.

I have seen two. One small one and one about 60 pounds...

Anyone else seen one before?

Skilifish and Prowfish are two weird ones that I have seldom seen

We seem to be getting more and more of those skilfish too. Observers are seeing them in the southeast on blackcod sets.