Thread: Looking For: Light Weight Fleece Pants

Default Looking For: Light Weight Fleece Pants

I am looking for a pair of light weight fleece pants for backpack hunting.

I plan to use them as an outer layer over my hunting pants. I prefer to not wear thermals under the pants so I don't overheat on the way up.

Must have a zipper or snaps to allow putting on over boots.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Do not need windproof or waterproof.

Thanks!

Default Question????

You sold on fleece?

There are some awesome ultra light, compressable, warm pants out there...

If you want fleece - I've used Mt Hardware's Windstopper fleece pant for several years. They have a full leg zip, pockets and a zipper fly. They are warm - but quite bulky and heavy compared to the synth/insulated stuff.

I recently dropped nearly 2 lbs of fleece jacket combos from my hunt pack by replacing them synthetic insulated stuff. Their compressability and warmth are by far superior to my fleece stuff.

The pants are on order and will be here soon....

I don't have the final numbers but I'm anticipating a total gear weight reduction of around 3 lbs... That's 6-7% of a 45-50lb pack...

Here are a few of the pants I've looked at:

Mt Hardware; Compressor Pant
    Integral Designs; Denali Pant
    Barney's; Brooks Range Pant

They all have full leg zips and a fly.
    Last edited by WinMag; 02-27-2008 at 20:35. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    You sold on fleece?

There are some awesome ultra light, compressable, warm pants out there...

If you want fleece - I've used Mt Hardware's Windstopper fleece pant for several years. They have a full leg zip, pockets and a zipper fly. They are warm - but quite bulky and heavy compared to the synth/insulated stuff.

I recently dropped nearly 2 lbs of fleece jacket combos from my hunt pack by replacing them synthetic insulated stuff. Their compressability and warmth are by far superior to my fleece stuff.

The pants are on order and will be here soon....

I don't have the final numbers but I'm anticipating a total gear weight reduction of around 3 lbs... That's 6-7% of a 45-50lb pack...

Here are a few of the pants I've looked at:

Mt Hardware; Compressor Pant
    Integral Designs; Denali Pant
    Barney's; Brooks Range Pant

They all have full leg zips and a fly.
    I wanted fleece for the durability and quietness. Of the 3 synthetic pants which one do you think is the toughest? Now you have me thinking.... : )

Default pants off

If you are spot and stalk bow hunting I could see the quietness as being a big factor. Otherwise I've found it NOT to be a problem.

As for the tough factor...

I would say the Brook's Range stuff is made with durability as a key factor. All three pants are made for hard core stuff (mountaineering and such)...

Barney's Sport's Chalet in Anchorage uses producers like Integral Designs to make their gear. But Bob designs them to be taylor made for Alaska Hunting. I'm no expert and don't have detailed (technical) information on this but take jacket for example. It uses the same design and materials as the top selling model from Integral Designs but with added durable light weight materials in the high wear areas (elbows, shoulders etc...) The pants have enforced knees, seat and wear patches around the ankles...

I for one have shifted gears.

Good stuff to think on.... Thanks!

Default not really

If you are spot and stalk bow hunting I could see the quietness as being a big factor. Otherwise I've found it NOT to be a problem.

As for the tough factor...

I would say the Brook's Range stuff is made with durability as a key factor. All three pants are made for hard core stuff (mountaineering and such)...

Barney's Sport's Chalet in Anchorage uses producers like Integral Designs to make their gear. But Bob designs them to be taylor made for Alaska Hunting. I'm no expert and don't have detailed (technical) information on this but take jacket for example. It uses the same design and materials as the top selling model from Integral Designs but with added durable light weight materials in the high wear areas (elbows, shoulders etc...) The pants have enforced knees, seat and wear patches around the ankles...

I for one have shifted gears.
    WinMag,
    If you look at the Integral pants and jacket they make and look at the Barney's version you will see two things that are different. Color and the Barney's label. Other than that, the same product, though Barney's is a little more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    WinMag,
    If you look at the Integral pants and jacket they make and look at the Barney's version you will see two things that are different. Color and the Barney's label. Other than that, the same product, though Barney's is a little more money.
    Color is important....

Looks like even the color is the same though....

http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...ail.cfm?id=697

Olive and Black..... Would be interesting to see if Barney's were actually lighter....

Are you factoring in any moisture resistance? I saw you mentioned not needing them but some sort of resistance always comes in handy. I've yet to drop 200 on good pants but Ive definately learned you get what you pay for, and Im past the age of putting up with cold and wet clothes lol. I like my wool pants and Im not much of a backpacker, hunting from a boat allows a few extra lbs. but Im always looking for something more efficient with less layers.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

No really, just looking for a "warming" layer to put on after I plug and chug up to the top of some hill. Something to wear while I am sitting (spotting, watching, waiting, etc.).

Default Gator Fleece

I've been using Gator Fleece by Browning. Quiet, very durable, wind proof and semi water resistant deep side pockets, one leg zippered pocket leg/side zips. I love'em. They have been discontinued but I have seen them heavily discounted at ebay and sierra traders.

Default may be...

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    WinMag,

ya you may be right.. Like I said I'm no expert. I was actually basing that on some boots I got from him. He at least claims that he worked w/ the manufactor to make changes to them. And from what I've researched it appears true...

And I know for a fact he has the ability to work w/ the manufact. to custom order stuff...

As for the pants and/or jacket. From what I had seen the jacket appears to have additional wear patches but exactly the same beyond that... Well except for what you stated.... Color and price.

ya you may be right.. Like I said I'm no expert. I was actually basing that on some boots I got from him. He at least claims that he worked w/ the manufactor to make changes to them. And from what I've researched it appears true...

And I know for a fact he has the ability to work w/ the manufact. to custom order stuff...

As for the pants and/or jacket. From what I had seen the jacket appears to have additional wear patches but exactly the same beyond that... Well except for what you stated.... Color and price.
    Whatever the case he is a pleasant guy to talk to and always provides info I find useful. Sometimes I go down there to pick something up just for the chance to talk to a friendly guy who knows the area. He may not be out there hunting all the time but he sure talks to a LOT of hunters. Always fun to hear his latest and greatest...

He needs some chairs, a fireplace, and some coffee and we could make it a regular hang out in the winter... : )
    Last edited by 1911-MW; 02-28-2008 at 18:36. Reason: typo

Good thread. Thanks for the link to the pants. I'll have to check them out the next time I am at Barney's.

I planned on buying some e-cheapo fleece pants, and having my wife sew zippers in the side of the legs. For staying warm, I think that would do the trick.

Default Fleece Pant

You might consider the Swazi line of products. They make a number of different pant combinations.

http://www.swazi.co.nz/Online-Shop/Pants/

And they also offer a camo style.

http://www.swazi.co.nz/Online-Shop/Camo/

I've been very satisfied using them during backpack hunts.