Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alexander Creek

Default Alexander Creek

It's official. Alexander Creek is closed to king salmon fishing in 2008.

The Board of Fish has demonstrated its incompetence once again. At least this way the few fish the lower inlet netters don't kill will be able to produce more fish for the lower inlet netters to kill later. By that time any Alexander Creek operations will already be dead.

Another classic case of addressing the symptoms, not the problem.

Wow - have had some good times on that creek.

Does that mean it is closed to the 'aliens' that fish it and ship the salmon back home too?

Cook Inlet Gillnetters don't even have seasons start untill most susitna drainage kings are spawning. I don't see how gillnets are the problem here? Perhaps its overexploitation from sport fishermen... Imagine that.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default What about pike?

I thought Alexander creek was full of smolt-eating pike now. Could'nt that be a problem?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Not Pike

Pike are not the problem. They have always been there as long as I can remember. It is an easy place to over fish, and King numbers are easy to reduce as a result of over fishing. Even if overfishing wasn't the main problem - shutting it down to fishing will in fact help it recover faster.

Default Pike

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Pike are not the problem. They have always been there as long as I can remember. It is an easy place to over fish, and King numbers are easy to reduce as a result of over fishing. Even if overfishing wasn't the main problem - shutting it down to fishing will in fact help it recover faster.
    Ok, I didn't know how long they had been there. I have seen Fish and Game pics of a pike with a dozen smolt in it's belly, and it seemed like it couldn't be good for the chinook population in Alexander creek. No way to get them out of there anyway.

chinook smolt generally utalize different habitat than pike... I think the past 10 years has seen a huge increase in pressure throughout the susitna drainage if that's the problem who's to say, the fact is Alexander Creek hasn't hit escapement goals for a few years and ADF&G wanted in closed as it does escapement once a year while the salmon are on their spawning beds and cannot close alexander by EO.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default not sure but not much a fun river anyway

when i was down there a few years back over memorial weekend i didnt even really have much a good time. lots of boats and too many locals complaining about wake. cant even get on step from the mouth for a good few miles up river and if we were putting along enough to make any kind of headway we had people cursing us. cameras out on peoples decks cmon now.

there does seem to be a good amount of pike on that system though. but then again alot of boats and locals too. if this closure bums you guys out go catch some pike outta there and give it a few years to make a comeback. fish and game closed it to people and if the locals leave it alone should only be a couple/few years.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    when i was down there a few years back over memorial weekend i didnt even really have much a good time. lots of boats and too many locals complaining about wake. cant even get on step from the mouth for a good few miles up river and if we were putting along enough to make any kind of headway we had people cursing us. cameras out on peoples decks cmon now.

there does seem to be a good amount of pike on that system though. but then again alot of boats and locals too. if this closure bums you guys out go catch some pike outta there and give it a few years to make a comeback. fish and game closed it to people and if the locals leave it alone should only be a couple/few years.

Well said.

If a few people can get up there, and take out a few smolt eaters that will speed up there recovery that much quicker.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

although not the most productive ill bet but i did see a nice size pike pulled up right out of the salmon hole at the mouth. also the first slough at a left hand big bend to the right we were in there catching pike pretty easily. we did try and get up to the lake and it seemed like we ran forever and finally turned around. this is when i had my sportjon and i dont think id even attempt this run in my northriver.

Default A Big Duh

This is just a repeat of many of the over fished fisheries in the drainage. There is a history of this in the Susitna Drainage. It first started with Sheep Creek in the 80's... Was closed for 5 years for Kings until the run rebuilt itself and re-opened for the plentiful taking of many large kings to date... Im sure it will lose it appeal due to over fishing or poor spawning success. (flooding ).

The Deshka is an example of the same problem. It was closed for many years to get the population up. This is a multi-plex use system, meaning it has a large riversphere of activity including, Rainbow spawn in april-may, Pike spawn- April-may, Kings in the river in May all the way up past Trapper Creek, Grayling on the move and pods of smolt moving out.
    It is diverse system which is sensitive to pressure like many others. Boat pressure, float pressure, etc... will make a huge effect on the system and if they remove the weir from the river it will return to the closed system within the year.

The Yetna has already made Sockeye off limit. Poor runs and commercial fishing has reduced this fishery to a nil.. Chinook will follow in all drainages.

Too bad there are no real studies on Silver and Pink salmon, they are a very important part of the eco system...

Rant Over

Default ice fishing Alexander for smolt-eating pike

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Well said.

If a few people can get up there, and take out a few smolt eaters that will speed up there recovery that much quicker.
    Can you ice fish in that system for pike?
    When we were heading out to figure eight there was a rough looking couple that lived at Alexander. they were riding snow machines in to town, the woman was wearing a grizzley bear on her back with the claws on, she probably killed it herself. Anyway, they recommended we kill every one of them that we catch because they were eating all the salmon at Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    When we were heading out to figure eight there was a rough looking couple that lived at Alexander. they were riding snow machines in to town, the woman was wearing a grizzley bear on her back with the claws on, she probably killed it herself Anyway, they recommended we kill every one of them that we catch because they were eating all the salmon at Alexander.

she probably killed it herself with a swiss army knife

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    When we were heading out to figure eight there was a rough looking couple that lived at Alexander. they were riding snow machines in to town, the woman was wearing a grizzley bear on her back with the claws on, she probably killed it herself. Anyway, they recommended we kill every one of them that we catch because they were eating all the salmon at Alexander.
    The news cited pike as the reason for the closure, not gillnets.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    The news cited pike as the reason for the closure, not gillnets.

Tim
    I dont understand how it could be pike when they have always been there. Maybe they are populating more than normal as of late.

Default its the pike

Lungshot,

Pike have certainly not always been in the Alexander Creek system. Before pike arrived Alexander was a very popular King & Siver fishery.

Pike have been around for a while but there numbers really exploded after the 1986 flood that washed out the little dam at the outlet of Bulchitna Lake into Lake Creek. Bulchitna Lake pike swam out of the lake into Lake Creek. They have been eating their way throughout the Susitna/Yentna/Skwentna drainages ever since. I understand they have made it down the Cook Inlet coast to the Chuit River drainage as well, probably farther than that.

Alexander Creek is prime pike habitat, it's just like any number of sluggish pike rivers in Southwest Alaska. Alexander Lake used to have huge rainbow trout. Now Alexander lake and Sucker lake are pike lakes. I bet the only rearing habitat left in the Alexander/Sucker creek drainage w/o a bunch of pike is Wolverine Creek. Wolverine Creek is swift little creek that drains into Sucker Creek. I read in an article a while back that F&G thought that Wolverine Creek was the only creek left in the drainage with a population of rainbow trout.

So, how many fry and smolts make it past all those teeth into the Susitna? Not near as many as before. I would say that pike are the major reason Alexander Creek has low King numbers.

On a postive note, pike have firm, tasty, flesh. I have a cabin on Shell Lake. We eat a bunch of Shell Lake pike, blackened, pan fried. Pike tacos are great.

Thats interesting stuff. I knew they spread out from flooding but I didn't know when or from where.

All I know is I Pike dont take but a couple years to reach a devistating population, and I remember fishing as a kid there. Not all the time but every so often we would catch a pike. That was over 20 yrs ago. Pretty long time for the kings to just now be in trouble.

If pike are the main cause then we will find out when the kings dont recover as a result of the closure.

Thumbs up Alexander Creek - Hi all

Thats to bad about Alexander Creek. I have been lucky enough to work a lodge there for the last couple of years for the king season. Been up to Alexander lake a few times and it is PACKED with Pike.. over run I would say. this last season 2007 we were even catching pike at the mouth off Gaberts dock. The pike are thick all down Alexander now... they have been eating everything they can get... in the lake they have eaten all other fish so, now their belly are full of baby pike- thats all thats left. Some of the problem was that the creek was VERY low last year as well however, Pike are the main problem in the creek. We are the last cabin up creek right at the marker... seeing and getting the creek gosip from mile 16 on down to the mouth daily... hope this helps.. To bad on the Fishing.. I sure had a wonderful time living out there and watching all the critters both, two and four legged. Guess I will fish for pike and watch Moose...

Curious -- if pike are the issue why has the ADF&G placed special restrictions on pike at the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    Curious -- if pike are the issue why has the ADF&G placed special restrictions on pike at the lake?
    From what I understand, after speaking with F&G about the pike infestation in Southcentral and specifically Anchorage, they were trying to manage Alexander Lake as a trophy pike lake. Their conclusion was it wasn't working to well so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast