Thread: Sheep Hunting off Haul Road

Default Sheep Hunting off Haul Road

I am planning a hunt for this august and was wondering if anyone has tried a hunt like this. Has anyone hiked off the Haul Road for sheep? Do you guys think that a guy would be able to find a full curl ram if they hiked off the road? We are planning a 10 day hunt so we should have some time to find them. Do you guys have a preference on the north side of the range or the south side? We see a lot of ewes and lambs off the road so I figure there must be rams around somewhere.
    Let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks
    Carl

Alot of people walk-in off the Haul road. Plan on seeing other people.

Default Haul Road

I spent all year at pump station 3 and all summer and fall watched a herd of 70 plus sheep hanging out on the very first mountain south of the station, west side of the road. After seeing them the first time, I brought back good optics from my next R&R. I watched ten rams that were definitely legal in that one herd. And throughout the summer and fall between pump stations 3 and 4, saw a dozen other legal rams. I have seen sheep come down to within a hundred yards of the road on a couple occasions up there.

But I never saw any sheep hunters at all. Only caribou hunters, and every hunter I saw was a bow hunter. It is illegal to use firearms within I believe 5 miles of the pipeline.

I think if you plan it right, you could definitely bag a large ram by walking in off the haul road.

Good luck.

Default Slope Mt./ South of Pump Station 3

I was there, saw one guy get a sheep, I camped out there for over a week ...Its tough gettin' close, also theres alot of people stopping by checking you out and glassing Slope Mt. ....there are however other better places with less visibility along the Dalton....

I timed my bow hunt for sheep so I could be south of Atigun Pass on opening day for Moose (1 Sept). In which I finally scored, and filled my permit 12 days later. The bottom line to bow hunt sheep or moose along the Haul is you gotta have the time to burn, you gotta sit and watch them for a few days...your not gonna pull up, see them and get on them that quick....unless your just lucky.

Default Pics of Slope MT.

My daily ritual was wake up early, eat breakfast, climb Slope MT. and chase sheep all dayand come down before 2200 hours ( 10p.m.) gets dark and eery up there by yourself....CK
    Attached Images Attached Images

kahahawai nice pictures.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Is it illegal to shoot firearms within 5 miles or to even have them within 5 miles?

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I've hiked in off the road before. Saw lots of sheep, and other people- I think we saw 9 other hunters (some single, some partners). Saw a few rams, but at the five mile mark they were super skittish due to the amount of pressure. There may be less pressure in other parts, a guys just got to go look.

Default The Spot

If you guys can figure out where this is...this is where you want to hunt, It is off the Haul Rd, but it is a hike to get in there. And yes, I saw legal Rams!!!!

I'll give you a hint...Its south of Atigun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty image...looks like sheep country....last Brooks Range sheep I shot was 15 miles from the landing site....not like it used to be.

Default Hiking Miles

Yeah, I hear Ya shphtr, 15 miles might not seem much, but when half of it is verticle miles that really makes a difference. Flying into a remote LZ(landing zone) still doesn't give one an advantage...still gotta do the leg work.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHick View Post
    Is it illegal to shoot firearms within 5 miles or to even have them within 5 miles?
    Not illeagle to posses, but to hunt with.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Pretty image...looks like sheep country....last Brooks Range sheep I shot was 15 miles from the landing site....not like it used to be.
    I don't know that it's not like it used to be in some spots in the BR. one of my last hunts was successful one mile from the floatplane LZ. of course sheep move around so it might be 15 miles from the LZ on any other given day.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    If you guys can figure out where this is...this is where you want to hunt, It is off the Haul Rd, but it is a hike to get in there. And yes, I saw legal Rams!!!!

I'll give you a hint...Its south of Atigun!
    K.... where you @ now???
    you comin back up this year?

kaha,

I know right where that is!!! And I've seen those rams, almost shot one a couple years back very near there.

I also have killed a ram in the corridor.