Thread: Hunting ATV

Default Hunting ATV

Looking for a good hunting/utilty/trapping ATV, doesn't need to be flashy or fast any recommendations? Looking at the grizzly and foreman.

If you can wait til Mid Aug. I going to have 5 ,07-2008 350 Yamaha bruins I'm buying them this April new from dealer and will be selling them mid Aug..You can save a few thousand dollars.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Get a Foreman

Get a honda so you can always get back home
    look at the new rancher

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    If you can wait til Mid Aug. I going to have 5 ,07-2008 350 Yamaha bruins I'm buying them this April new from dealer and will be selling them mid Aug..You can save a few thousand dollars.

Are you sure it is the Bruin? The last year I can find info about Burins on Yamaha's website is 2006?

Why are you buying 5 then selling? What will you be using them for?

The Bruin 350 and the grizzly 350 are the same , They just changed the name last year the 07's and 08's have independent suspension the 06's do not, These are going to be 07' or 08's whatever he has left on the floor I always buy 8 new ones and sell 5 of them at the end of the season I use them for business.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    The Bruin 350 and the grizzly 350 are the same , They just changed the name last year the 07's and 08's have independent suspension the 06's do not, These are going to be 07' or 08's whatever he has left on the floor I always buy 8 new ones and sell 5 of them at the end of the season I use them for business.
    Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    Get a honda so you can always get back home
    look at the new rancher
    I am not arguing the point that Honda does make a good bike, but I have a '04 Big Bear with 4700 miles on it without a hiccup. My Yamaha has never failed to get me home.

I was with a friend over the weekend that was riding a Bruin, and it sure seems like a nice bike. I have always preferred standard transmissions, but the auto sure was nice.

In my opinion, the Honda vs Yamaha ATV debate is like a chocolate vs vanilla ice cream debate. It just comes down to personal taste.

I also agree Yamaha is just as dependable as Honda.
    As far as the 350 Bruin (or now called Grizzly) I had a 2005 that I sold. It's too small and underpowered for pulling a trailer with one moose in it. Seeing how you mainly want it for hunting you might want to step it up some CCs to a larger ATV. IMO

I saw a 18HP, 4 wheel steer Coot for $3500 OBO today. PM if interested.

Consider the Yamaha Grizzly, it pretty much out performs all the rest.

I'm not brand loyal, so the best wheeler is the one that is dependable, you are happy with it, and hopefully it gets good fuel mileage. IMO, the auto's pull the heavy trailers much better, because you are always in the right gear for the mudholes and steep hills. This really matters when you have a thousand pounds behind you.

I would seriously look at the models with the SRA's. I've got a 450 Foreman and i've pulled well over a 1000 lbs with it and did so without any problems. They are simple to work on and very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I would seriously look at the models with the SRA's. I've got a 450 Foreman and i've pulled well over a 1000 lbs with it and did so without any problems. They are simple to work on and very reliable.
    Ha SRAs suck. Which is why the industry makes more and more models with IRS each year. They are NO more reliable and they ride bad and beat the hell out of your body. I have both, I pulled 1500 lbs 50 miles out of moose camp last year with IRS model and left the SRA model at home where it does well.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Ha SRAs suck. Which is why the industry makes more and more models with IRS each year. They are NO more reliable and they ride bad and beat the hell out of your body. I have both, I pulled 1500 lbs 50 miles out of moose camp last year with IRS model and left the SRA model at home where it does well.

Have to agree with AKHunter45 here. SRAs are nice for what they are, it all depends on the type of hunting you do though. If you were going to be cruising long miles of trail like up at Eureka or what not then hands down get the IRS they are way nice when it comes to riding trails and hard to beat. However, if you are going to be riding off trail or in boulders or alders or giant tussocks a lot of the time its going to be rough no matter what regardless of IRS or not in my experience. So if are going to be doing mostly off trail riding and see a good deal on a SRA model machine don't let the fact that it has an SRA deture you from purchasing it.

Just because fourwheeler manufactuers are coming out with more and more IRS model wheelers doesn't always mean they are the end all best thing for everything. In fact manufactuers cater to where the majority of the consumers (lower 48 on trail riding) are thats just smart business. You do in fact need more power to turn the wheels of an IRS vs. a SRA due to the simple geometry of the way the power is applied to the from the engine to the wheels. For example a 500 cc SRA geared the same as a 500 IRS model will have more power at the rear wheels. But by the time you got up to the 600 or 700 cc models you already have so much power coming from the engine that the power difference is almost nil. This difference however is noticeable when you are comparing lower CC'd fan cooled ATVs in my experience.

You listed the only possible advantage of SRA over IRS- if it's WAY cheaper. I don't agree the ride is the same off trail either, I've made a lot of my own trails in both. Another VERY bad thing about SRA is them dumb drum brakes they use on them, WORTHLESS.

Default SRA???

There are quite a few SRAs on the market that have a disc brake system. In fact I beleive its mainly just honda that seems to still believe that drum brakes are the best thing since sliced bread. HAHA!!! Maybe its different on different brands but when comparing an 2005 IRS AC 500 to a 1999 SRA AC 500 my buddy and I switched on and off and bother agreed that when you are alder crashing or running giant tussocks they seemed about the same to us as far as quality of the ride. But to each is own.

Also when comparing the an early 1990s honda 300 to a 2005 AC 400 IRS the power and towing capacity was noticably different. Now granted gearing that these are offered in may have something to do with it, but I find it hard to believe that having a more direct route for power to the wheels from the engine didn't play a major role as well.

My 1999 AC500 with a SRA has disk brakes...

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will be looking for a new grizzly. Funny how I said I didn't need all the bells and whistles, but couldn't help myself.

I ride a '07 Big Bear and my wife has the '07 Griz 350 IRS. Most of my friends ride Griz 700's. If you need power and want to go fast go with the Griz 700. If you want a workhorse that has not really changed in over 10 years and don't mind shifting get the Big Bear it is the same price as the 350 Griz.