Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New productioon model 70... How will it be?

Default New productioon model 70... How will it be?

Now that Winchester Arms has been purchased they should be putting out a new Model 70 featherlite very soon. I don't know the date but I would expect it before 2009. Does anyone have any information on the new model 70 or what we might expect from this gun?
    I am in the market for a new rifle but I don't know if I would dare buy a gun in its first year of production... What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    I am in the market for a new rifle but I don't know if I would dare buy a gun in its first year of production... What do you guys think?
    You're not buying a car or truck. I think you'll be happy with a new Winchester model 70. And you should probably expect to see new Winchester's around June or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You're not buying a car or truck.
    No, but there may be some bugs to be worked out.

At 7lbs the Extreme Weather is what Kimber have been dreading.
    The great Model 70 is back! And by the looks I don't think any buyer will be disappointed.

PS-I don't understand why the 300WM over the 338WM?

Any idea if Winchester has a custom shop set up yet? Are these new guns being build by Browning?

Ok, what's the deal.... Are these guns going to be built much better than the CT guns??? It's my understanding that they're still FN manufactured guns. BTW, you can purchase a new "model 70" right now. They're just called FN's. What is it that's suddenly making these guns worth so much??? Before they shut down production in CT, they couldn't sell the guns at a price of $700 and now they think they're going to be flying out the door at twice as much??? Maybe for a little while, but unless they've put some kind of magic into their new model 70, I don't see myself rushing out to buy one.

Any idea if Winchester has a custom shop set up yet? Are these new guns being build by Browning?
    Not sure about the custom shop. The new Model 70's are being made in South Carolina in the FN factory. Apparently the machine shop is allot better with more precision, new CNC's I think.
    Quality is meant to be first-class?

No, but there may be some bugs to be worked out.
    I doubt it considering the plant where the new model 70s are being made in and what other weapons that have been and are being made there.

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    Ok, what's the deal.... Are these guns going to be built much better than the CT guns??? It's my understanding that they're still FN manufactured guns. BTW, you can purchase a new "model 70" right now. They're just called FN's. What is it that's suddenly making these guns worth so much??? Before they shut down production in CT, they couldn't sell the guns at a price of $700 and now they think they're going to be flying out the door at twice as much??? Maybe for a little while, but unless they've put some kind of magic into their new model 70, I don't see myself rushing out to buy one.
    "Winchester Repeating Arms" will be stamped on all the new Model 70's.

I think you will be surprised how many sell once word gets out the Model 70 is back, & from all reports a fine product awaits.
    For me it's about the machined CNC-action, hammerforged barrel, stainless trigger system, Williams extractor & floorplate assembly. Although the triggerguard is made of light alloy, I'm sure it's quality(not a Williams product). A steel Williams triggerguard can be sourced without an issue if one desires.
    I'm that fussed about spending$$ a little more if I'm getting a quality rifle that looks & works great. The trump card being it's a CRF Model 70!

http://www.williamsfirearms.com/

PS-I would of liked to see the original Model 70 trigger system again. I don't think there's anything wrong with the new, just wonder why fix when it aint broke.
    Will test it out over time. If for some reason it doesn't gel for me. Heard Williams is doing the original trigger as a aftermarket kicker if desired.

Im going to get one. 270 in featherweight. I'll put a nice Leupold on it and I I'll be set.

Im going to get one. 270 in featherweight. I'll put a nice Leupold on it and I'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    Ok, what's the deal.... Are these guns going to be built much better than the CT guns??? What is it that's suddenly making these guns worth so much??? Before they shut down production in CT, they couldn't sell the guns at a price of $700 and now they think they're going to be flying out the door at twice as much??? Maybe for a little while, but unless they've put some kind of magic into their new model 70, I don't see myself rushing out to buy one.
    Yep, improving a trigger that did not need any improving does not sell me on buying a new Winchester anywhere in the near future. I like a Winchester myself but for the higher priced demand on these new rifles I may invest into another pre-64 instead....an original.

oh well, enjoy.

I'm tempted to get the extreme weather in 270 WSM and have the barreled action inletted in a mcmillan sako classic edge stock.

I have handled the new Modsel 70s and they feel the same as the old ones I have seen test targets shot by the Winchester rep and they shoot nice too.

They have the same retail price as the ruger hawkeye 375 does and I dont hear a bunch of remarks about high prices of the ruger.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default buy old model 70

i think when the new ones come out the old ones should be selling for lower prices then i will be looking for a old model 70 300mag or 375h&h

IMO this new Model will make allot of men take note & maybe even snap to attention? Time will tell but I just have this feeling the Model 70 is back! & back with a premium no nonsense working rifle.
    Different action lengths, new crisper 3 position safety, gas-flange left side of the bolt(same as the Classic model. Pre-64's didn't have this), premium piece of timber("Featherweight Deluxe" & "Sporter Deluxe"). Checkout the old link & see the difference in timber quality. All with Pachmayr recoil pads, & I've heard no sign of machine-marks to be seen.
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...y.asp?cat=001C

Quote Originally Posted by 340Wby View Post
    Different action lengths,
    You mean the elimination of the action for the wssm cartridges? They still offer long and short actions, just like in the past.

Default Mod. 70

I am a Mod. 70 fan. I like the controlled round feed, the 3 position safety and the ease of field stripping the bolt. It has the trigger that I trust the most. A good tough and reliable trigger. So they change it. Lots of things in this world are hard for me to understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast