Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only 1 boat - which model for the most fun ?

Default Only 1 boat - which model for the most fun ?

If you could only own 1 boat. Had to live in Anchorage. What flavor would you buy and what would you do with it? Let's say that your entertainment revolves around hunting, fishing, clamming, and shrimping.

Your expenditure on a new or used boat is $42K.

I am more looking for what bang for my buck a person can have the most fun with. Which one can you use more - jet/deep sea/in between.

Default Inboard Jets

An inboard jet with 10 - 14 degree deadrise in 20' - 22' would be my suggestion. It will do everything you speak of plus pull tubers or skiers. It is not the best for any one particular application but for all around use they are hard to beat. You can do mild saltwater trips, run most rivers, and go the most places.

There is really no one boat that will do everything though.

I struggled with this a few years back. Got a semi v jet boat. It worked okay on the rivers and marginal on a nice day in the Salt. Once I started taking it in the salt I realized that is where I wanted to spend most of my time but I was very limited on days I could go with the jet. I ended up selling the jet and buying an ocean boat (HewesCraft). Never looked back. My contingency plan was that I have a buddy with a jet boat I can go with. I think I have gone with him twice since I sold mine.

All that to say. Get something that has a good resell. If you end up like me you are going to have to try a few things until you decide what you want in the end. Good chance you'll upgrade within a few years, and trust me, if you do, you will know allot more about what you want and boats in general and have a better idea of what to get....... Hope that helps...
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I know that there isn't one 'do-it-all' boat for sure.

What rivers cannot be run in a semi-v?

How much ocean can a phantom really take?

I will be working a lot and probably won't have a ton of time to play.

My uncle lives up there and tells me - just get a charter when you want to go on the ocean. Get the sportjon phantom to run the rivers.

My problem is that Salmon are pretty seasonal and I am sure that I am going to want to try for chickens more than 1 or 2 times a year when we charter to go way out for the big butts.

If the phantom will let me catch some shrimp, seabass, chickens, and I can clam from shore and run the rivers when salmon are in that would work for me.

...unless like you say I want to be on the open water more - maybe black bear hunting in the sound, seabass and chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I know that there isn't one 'do-it-all' boat for sure.

What rivers cannot be run in a semi-v?

How much ocean can a phantom really take?

I will be working a lot and probably won't have a ton of time to play.

My uncle lives up there and tells me - just get a charter when you want to go on the ocean. Get the sportjon phantom to run the rivers.

My problem is that Salmon are pretty seasonal and I am sure that I am going to want to try for chickens more than 1 or 2 times a year when we charter to go way out for the big butts.

If the phantom will let me catch some shrimp, seabass, chickens, and I can clam from shore and run the rivers when salmon are in that would work for me.

...unless like you say I want to be on the open water more - maybe black bear hunting in the sound, seabass and chickens.
    So everything that you mentioned is similar to me. I have caught way more fish in the ocean than in the river system, thats just me though. I hate getting skunked..

My jet boat was a 18' Semi V. I could run the Deshka and other Susitna tributaries as long as the water was at a decent level. Still stuck it to the bottom from time to time and would have the tunnel jon boats go right past me as I was standing in 6 inches of water. All the places I wanted to go I couldn't. That jet boat was okay in PWS as long as I stayed in close, close to cover, and the seas were no more than two feet. Even then with the semi V I would pound with any chop.

Maybe I am not the best fisherman on the river system but I catch fish every trip on the salt, not to mention the hunting opportunities (bear,deer,goat,etc.), only thing I can't hunt out there (that I do hunt) is moose. If hunting moose is your primary desire and you want to have as much country as possible available, buy an airboat. If I could own two boats it would be Ocean Boat and Air Boat.....

Once again this was just were I ended up on my journey! Either way its a fun ride. Enjoy it to the fullest!

Our moose hunts will mostly be fly in with friends so I am not real worried about moose hunting the rivers via boat - if so we would probably float them.

Don't know that I can talk the better half into two boats

I'd do the opposite from what your uncle said. Buy an ocean boat (should be able to get a really nice setup for $42k) and then charter the fresh water trips. My bet will be you won't be heading to the fresh water much!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default akmud

That is kinda what I am thinking too - he has never lead me astray....so far, but I know that I love being in the salt (from fishing WA state and AK too)...I bet a jet is really fun too though...

I 'might' have a jet that I can borrow for a time or two - so I will have to see how things go. I will be working a lot (if this pans out for me) so I won't be making a purchase until next year (so I can pay cash $$ too)...

just getting excited about the possible prospect of living there - not a done deal for sure, but a guy can sure wish!

Buy a float boat that can go on the top of your ocean boat, that is capable of using an outboard with jet set-up.

Default Two Boats!!!

I am struggling with this very thing right now. We tried to buy a boat that did everything and went with a 24' river boat with an outboard, tunnel, jet and prop units. Does well on the rivers and well in Prince William Sound.

That is until it gets rough. Last season the family and I were out and got delayed coming in and found ourselves in 6' + in Wells Passage. We have plenty of power but with the HUGE open non-selfbailing bow it was scary. We made it to safety with no harm done (NOAA on the radio was calling 10mph wind and 2ft seas)

We are getting a new boat soon (we actually decided this week). I just hate to get rid of the river boat. It scored us two nice moose this last year. The boat is a little big for the Little Su. But just right for big rivers and hunting. I can put the prop unit on for the Yukon and get great fuel economy. With the tunnel, jet and loaded light it runs extremely shallow.

My family just loves PWS and we like spending as much time out there as possible. A charter now and then is a lot cheaper, but we like to go where we want and when we want. We camp and explore. I have nosed the bow into the waterfall at Main Bay (before the bouy line was up). We wouldn't get to do that on a charter. We like to take the dogs and stay as long as we want. Dollar for dollar, even four charters a year for the whole family (four of us) out of Homer produces more meat. But I would have to charter a whole boat to go shrimping and that would get expensive. We value the adventure more than anything. This year the wife's #1 concern is safety. I said "we could just make our current boat work for one more year in the sound" and she said "you will be going alone". So there is is we are getting a new boat.

No one boat will meet my families needs. Looks like we will actually have 3 (we have a 18' cataraft also) make that 4 (a 12' jon boat also). When we choose which ocean boat to get. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    I am struggling with this very thing right now. We tried to buy a boat that did everything and went with a 24' river boat with an outboard, tunnel, jet and prop units. Does well on the rivers and well in Prince William Sound.

That is until it gets rough. Last season the family and I were out and got delayed coming in and found ourselves in 6' + in Wells Passage. We have plenty of power but with the HUGE open non-selfbailing bow it was scary. We made it to safety with no harm done (NOAA on the radio was calling 10mph wind and 2ft seas)

We are getting a new boat soon (we actually decided this week). I just hate to get rid of the river boat. It scored us two nice moose this last year. The boat is a little big for the Little Su. But just right for big rivers and hunting. I can put the prop unit on for the Yukon and get great fuel economy. With the tunnel, jet and loaded light it runs extremely shallow.

My family just loves PWS and we like spending as much time out there as possible. A charter now and then is a lot cheaper, but we like to go where we want and when we want. We camp and explore. I have nosed the bow into the waterfall at Main Bay (before the bouy line was up). We wouldn't get to do that on a charter. We like to take the dogs and stay as long as we want. Dollar for dollar, even four charters a year for the whole family (four of us) out of Homer produces more meat. But I would have to charter a whole boat to go shrimping and that would get expensive. We value the adventure more than anything. This year the wife's #1 concern is safety. I said "we could just make our current boat work for one more year in the sound" and she said "you will be going alone". So there is is we are getting a new boat.

No one boat will meet my families needs. Looks like we will actually have 3 (we have a 18' cataraft also) make that 4 (a 12' jon boat also). When we choose which ocean boat to get. Best of luck
    As 'spoiled one' once said, "You see car seats in your rear view mirror too".

It only takes getting caught in the nasties once or twice to make you think about the kids and safety.

Default You nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    As 'spoiled one' once said, "You see car seats in your rear view mirror too".

It only takes getting caught in the nasties once or twice to make you think about the kids and safety.

That is exactly right. And not all nasties are avoidable. You sometimes have to go through some to get to safety. Something to think about during a boat purchase.

I have a river boat and a ocean boat. Since getting my ocean boat I have used my river boat once. I love to hunt, but I do allot from my ocean boat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default One is not enough

When i contemplated road side living I looked more to the sea than inland. Too many people and etc. on the rivers so I'd get the ocean boat and do it right, over time you can put together enough scratch for an 18 foot jon or roughneck with a 60/40 on the back and run any river you want too, instead of lugging a 20 footer up there and burning three times the gas with twice the draft...just my two cents. Folks out here in the bush have hybrid rigs that run the big lakes well but in real ocean, you need a real boat and I honestly think you'd be disappointed with the performance in either medium if you try to find one boat for both. You'd be either poopin yourself on high seas or poopin yourself on a gravel bar that most folks made it across...

But personally, I'd get the ocean boat. River rigs that do the job just fine are a dime a dozen.

Buy a retired commercial fishing vessel. Now you have a boat and a cabin.

http://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/de..._Number=NW1459

You can build a small river skiff or driftboat in your garage to tow behind the big boat for less than $2k.
    Put another $2k into a little outboard.

Tie off to the mooring bouys in the mouth of the Kenai and dipnet while dinner's cookin'...

Default good food for thought

Well - I have to get up there first - then I will have the opportunity to explore enough to see what I really want to do. I 'think' that I am being swayed by the ocean boat more than the river boat -

Thanks for the advice and input - I am pretty excited just contemplating the situation. The more input the better.

Here in the interior a Jetcraft XS, Phantom Sportjon or similar fits the bill but if I was down there where you are I would have a Custom Weld 22' Storm. Although no one boat will do it all a big inboard Jet is a multipurpose unit. If I was going to stay off the rives a Kingfisher would be the one for me.

My family went through the same thing last year. We made the decision to buy a 24' Hewescraft Alaskan and spend all our time on the ocean. After himming & hawing and wondering how we could afford a $56,000 boat we decided to buy one in the spring of 2008. We spent a lot of time riding ATVs in some real nice country and I got to thinking about everything we could see from the river system. Hunt moose, bear, catch salmon and then rainbows in the spring and fall. We also figured that we wouldn't need to go to far offshore to catch ocean fresh salmon, chickens, and rockfish. We ended up getting a good deal on a 20' inboard jet boat in late Sept and couldn't pass it up. It had been used a lot in PWS, Deep Creek, and out of Seward by the previous owner. I realize I won't be fishing off the south end of Montague Island or 50 miles out of Homer, but I'm ok with that for now. We have the ability to run most of the large rivers, get kings and butts out of homer and deep creek, catch a few silvers close to seward, explore PWS close to Whittier, and do some trout fishing on the local lakes. I know that this boat isn't sea worthy in 6ft seas, and I have the good sense not to get caught in that stuff. The best part is by saving $40,000 I can afford to use the boat every weekend and also sleep at night with out the pain of remorse. Now the disclaimer - I'm sure that my family and I will outgrow this boat in a few years and probably get that 24' to 26' ocean boat. Not sure if this post is helpful, but shows what I did with the same situation.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

I'm an ocean man all the way,I have a friend with a river boat but there is always to many people for me. It's great to have your own boat but very expensive,I think other ways to go are renting or finding someone you click with and offer them the kind of deal that will make him want to take you (and your family).

I love the salt water but would not give up the rivers and lakes. If all the rivers you are on have too many people you are just not on the right river, Alaska has thousands of miles of rivers that see very little traffic. I agree that you need 3 or 4 boats but if I could only have one it would be a jet boat large enough for the sound but still capable on the rivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast