Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-open for Kenai?

Default Re-open for Kenai?

With totals hitting 32000, 33000, 43000, 49000, and 83000 over the last five days (354,244 cumulative), do you think there is any hope that ADF&G will re-open the Kenai to dipnetting, once the 800,000 escapement goal is met?

Has the Kenai dipnetting season ever been opened beyond 7/31 before?

I wouldn't count on it. Their main tool for keeping too many fish from getting in the river is the commercial boats.

If you're looking to dip this year, consider Kasailof or the Copper.

Default Kenai Re-opening!

Kenai is re-opening from 6am till 11pm Monday July 31 according to an EO today.

COOK INLET FISHERIES TARGETING KENAI RIVER SOCKEYE SALMON REOPENED

The Department of Fish and Game has issued Emergency Orders opening the following fisheries in Cook Inlet:

1) Central District Upper Sub-district set gillnets will fish the regular period Monday July 31, 2006.

2) Central District drift fleet will fish the regularly scheduled period Monday, July 31, but the area fished will be restricted to the Kenai Section and that portion of the Central District south of 60 degrees 27.10 minutes N. latitude, to target harvestable surpluses of Kasilof and Kenai sockeye while minimizing the harvest of Susitna River sockeye salmon.

3) The Kenai River sport fishery reopens to sockeye salmon sport fishing at 12:01 a.m. Monday, July 31 with a bag and possession limit of 3 sockeye salmon per day.

4) The Kenai River personal use dipnet fishery will reopen at 6:00 a.m. Monday July 31. The dipnet fishery closes by regulation Monday, July 31. An announcement will be made and a News Release issued on Monday, July 31, to inform the public if the Personal Use Fishery will be extended beyond the regulatory season closure date of August 1.

5) The Kenaitze Educational fishery will reopen at 12:01 a.m., Monday, July 31.

The Kenai River Late Run Sockeye Salmon Management Plan directs the Department to achieve an in-river goal range of 650,000 to 850,000 Kenai River late-run sockeye salmon, as well as an optimum escapement goal (OEG) of 500,000 1,000,000 spawning sockeye salmon. Through Saturday, July 29, the number of late-run sockeye salmon estimated to have passed the sonar is approximately 535,000 fish. Given the recent passage rates and the amount of time remaining in this run, the in-river goal and the OEG will be achieved.

For more information, contact: Jeff Fox (Commercial Fisheries) or George Pappas (Sport Fish) in the Soldotna office of ADF&G: (907) 262-9368.

END

Kurt

Released: July 31, 2006)

Back to Main EO/NR Page
    Back to Previous Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KENAI AND KASILOF RIVERS PERSONAL USE DIP NET FISHERIES UPDATE

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game announced that the personal use dip net fishery in the mouth of the Kenai River will open for the last day of the regulatory season (Monday, July 31). The personal use dip net fishery in the mouth of the Kenai River will close for the season as scheduled at 11:00 p.m. Monday July 31. The current assessment of the Kenai River sockeye salmon late run indicates the run is declining and will continue to diminish as the season progresses.

Dip netters fishing in the Kasilof River personal use fishery are reminded that the liberalization of the fishery expires at midnight tonight (Monday, July 31). Dip netters fishing in the Kasilof River personal use fishery will be restricted to the original area of the fishery. Dipnetting from both the shoreline and from boats will be only in the area from the ADF&G markers posted on Cook Inlet outside of the mouth of the Kasilof River, to about 1 mile upstream to the posted ADF&G markers. Dip netters are reminded that no king salmon may be kept in the Kasilof River personal use salmon fishery. Any king salmon caught while dipnetting must be released immediately.

Default I went last night (7/31)

It was totally dead. Saw one guy with a nice king, leaving the parking lot. Other than that, nothing. Drove down from ANC, fished an hour and then back home.

I spoke with ADFG yesterday about an extension, but they said it was highly unlikely. It probably should have re-opened a week ago, but they simply couldn't respond fast enough to make that happen. If you look at the sonar charts, it was already peaked and dropping by the time they opened it yesterday.

Being as how we've become a society of people who stand in front of the microwave waiting and tapping our foot (just can't happen fast enough!), I know there's some frustration about the seeming lack of response by ADFG (and certainly some frustration over them giving most of this run to the commercial guys, but that's another discussion). I think they're doing their best with the technology they have. It's not a perfect system.

Here's to a better run next year! My dipnetting total this year was one fish. The commercial nets were in the water last trip too.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Cutter

you fished for 1 hour after having drivin 3 to get there and knowing you'll be driving 3 to get back?

thats a negative investment - and a bad one at that

i dunno - i think you need to put some more time in

the fish were there to be had - if you didnt see any you werent looking very hard.

I'm glad we have esapement - get the R/R and go git em

Default Well....

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter
    you fished for 1 hour after having drivin 3 to get there and knowing you'll be driving 3 to get back?

thats a negative investment - and a bad one at that

i dunno - i think you need to put some more time in

the fish were there to be had - if you didnt see any you werent looking very hard.

I'm glad we have esapement - get the R/R and go git em
    Yeah, it is a long drive. I heard the fishing was pretty good earlier in the day, but it flat died after 8pm, which is about when I was there. I drove around after I pulled my net and nobody was catching fish. I didn't go EVERYWHERE, but the boats I saw in the bridge area and down at Kenai Landing, plus the shore-based dipnetters; none of them caught a single fish while I was watching, and everyone I talked to said nothing was going on. I didn't have a lot of time, as I had to be back in ANC for another commitment.

I'm sorta green at dipnetting, as last year was my first attempt (I caught about 30 fish in two tides). But what everyone is telling me is that if nobody is catching fish, you're wasting your time. Especially at high tide. I've also heard that the best time is usually an hour before high tide until two hours after high. I fished both sides of high tide and didn't see a single fish caught.

Waste of time and resources? Well, that's a judgement call with which I differ. It was a beautiful evening down there and I hope I can always remember what the sun looked like on the water. Simply a beautiful drive both ways, and a nice evening to be out.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

So in other words, you put 6 hours of automobile pollution into an already polluted environment just for one hour of fishing? That does not seem ethical. Especially coming from someone so determined to point out to the rest of us just how important proper ethics are to sportsman and women.
    I believe a famous person on this forum recommended we all lower our standard of living so future generations may have any standard at all. Perhaps you disagree?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Talking LOL

Here comes the "ethics" card again!!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Oh for Pete's sake, I can see this thread is going in a bad direction. Easy there martentrapper. I agree that sometimes Mike pushes people on the "ethics" of things, but I think he does so to get people to think about stuff, and doesn't do so necessarily in a "I'm right, you're wrong" sort of way. I've disagreed with Mike on a few things here (.44 sufficient for bear protection?), but I would certainly not say he is unethical, even on the things we don't necessarily agree on. I would take him down fishing any time, he could carry his rifle and I would carry my .44, and we would be 2 ethical sportsman out for a good time, hoping not to run into bears.

I would hardly call driving 6 hours through beautiful kenai peninsula, just to fish for 1 hour, an ethical dilemma though. I absolutely love that drive and on more than one occasion, that has been the best part of the fishing trip.

I agree that Mike should put more time in on the dipping. But if he had a prior commitment, that is life. I spent 10 hours last weeking dipping on the kasilof with not a single fish to show for it. I could have spent the day with my 2 year old daughter instead. I went back last night and nobody was catching anything for the first hour I was there. I was ready to pack it up. I ended up leaving 3 hours later with 7 fish. Certainly would have been cheaper to buy it at the store, but like Mike, I got to enjoy the drive as well.

Now if Mike had said that nothing was happening at the mouth so he decided to go up to Morgan's Landing to dipnet, which is where there were tons of fish, that would have been a perfect spot to shoot him down with an ethics lecture since it is illegal to do that. But taking a nice drive and trying his hand for an hour on the river, not really the place. Take it easy there.

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jmg
    ...Easy there martentrapper. ...
    JMG,

Thanks for the support; I decided a little while back that there are some things I'm just not going to respond to anymore. While I know that some of my views are controversial, and I sometimes come across as a little overbearing (that's not what's in my heart, I assure you), my main motivation remains to help folks have a great time in Alaska.

Along the way I've learned that some folks appear to entertain themselves by stirring up trouble or to simply look for chinks in the armor just so they can fire an arrow through the hole. It's as if they delight in finding and exploiting weakness in someone else.

The "ignore" function is a great feature of this new forum software!

Regards,

-Mike

Wink yep, "ignore" is a great feature!!!

makes the world a kinder gentler place
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Smile Evil people taking those Sunday drives...

[QUOTE=martentrapper]So in other words, you put 6 hours of automobile pollution into an already polluted environment just for one hour of fishing? That does not seem ethical.

Martentrapper--
    All those evil people taking a drive to Homer and back. How unethical they are--taking a beautiful drive, polluting the earth and not even killing any fish! If they caught some fish down there then it would make it all right for you. Really don't understand where you could possibly going with this. I can't say any more without this being deleted.

That's it--I'm hitting you HARD with the ignore function:

POW!!!!
    (ouch, that's gotta hurt)
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

No problem there Mike. I have met you a couple of times - at the last two sportsman's shows. I have only been up here in AK 2 years (in August), so I am always looking for advice on anything and everything. If you ever want to give your hand at fly fishing, give me a holler, that is my strong suit.

As for the "ignore" button, I didn't even know we had it. But, to be honest, everyone slows down as much as possible to see the big pileup of cars, looking for dead bodies, etc. or stops to see the train wreck, right? That is what martentrapper's post was, so I would probably not ignore him anyways. Lol.

Default dip trip

You made the same decision I made, but i had the day off so I got there at 2:00 and got 20 in the boat before 4:00 with 3 of us dipping. We went to shore to off load and when we went back out it was like someone turned the fish faucet off. There was absolutely nothing in the afternoon. We dipped for another 1 1/2 hours without getting a fish or seeing another fish caught so I called it quits around 6:00. I actually felt sorry for those who were launching boats it was sooo slow. It was amazing the difference when the commercial nets hit the water.

Default keep up the good work

Have to say that IF the whole carbon loading of the atmosphere "theory" is right...Way to go! Global warming can't happen soon enough...from Fairbanks with warmth...
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

The Kenai is opening again. Go get'em, look for for the comfish nets!!

2-RS-1-37-06 08/03/06 Kenai Reopens the personal use dip net fishery at the mouth of the Kenai River, beginning at 5:00 p.m., Thursday August 3, 2006, through 11:59 p.m., Thursday, August 10, 2006. Contact:George Pappas
    2-RS-1-38-06 08/03/06 Kenai In the lower Kenai River, liberalizes the bag and possession limit of salmon to 6 per day. Contact:George Pappas

The Kenai is opening again. Go get'em, look for for the comfish nets!!

2-RS-1-37-06 08/03/06 Kenai Reopens the personal use dip net fishery at the mouth of the Kenai River, beginning at 5:00 p.m., Thursday August 3, 2006, through 11:59 p.m., Thursday, August 10, 2006. Contact:George Pappas
    2-RS-1-38-06 08/03/06 Kenai In the lower Kenai River, liberalizes the bag and possession limit of salmon to 6 per day. Contact:George Pappas

Kenai is open again. For one week.

So what about those who already mailed their dip net permit in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast