Thread: Espar Airtronic D4 -- truck vs. marine version

Question Espar Airtronic D4 -- truck vs. marine version

Good evening.

I have called a couple of Espar dealers and inquired about Airtronics. Apparently there are 2 versions, truck/RV vs. marine. The price difference is about $400...of course the marine application is more expensive.

One of the dealers told me the difference is in the exhaust system but couldn't tell me how exactly they are different. The other dealer told me that truck/RV version would work just fine on a boat.

My questions are:

1. Do any of you know what the differences are?

2. Would truck/RV version work for installing on a boat?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Thumbs up Heater

Just picked up my Toyo today to install in my boat for the coming season. In stock locally and $1100. I will see how easy it is to install but should not be too bad.

Default Seems that every builder has their favorite...

When talking to BayWeld Boats in Homer, they favor the Espar 4. It can be rigged with two ducts to defrost the windshield and two vents to heat the cabin.
    I also noticed there were several dealers throughout AK; a good thing in case there is ever a problem.

Eagle River, AK

Default Some possible differences

I do not know the technical difference between the Truck/RV vs. Marine.
    But I can tell you this: It will certainly work in a boat. The units obviously have no idea where they are. The question is: how long would it last in that application?
    But-- if I had to venture a guess ( and you know I will ) I'll list these items as possible areas of difference:

*Termination fitting assy. will be stainless steel on marine. May or may not be on Truck/RV version.

*Housing may be made out of stainless steel on marine, and enamel coated cold rolled steel, or painted galvanized on the Truck/RV version.

*May have gaskets on the housing assy and control box area to help seal out moisture on a marine version. Mfg'r wouldn't really bother doing this with a truck version.

*There may be a special modified float system within the "carburetor" on the marine system that is less likely to be influenced by the rocking of waves. These units are what are called "vaporizing" burners, whereby they burn the raw fuel ( with typically computer controlled oxygen mix ) in a sort of controlled puddle in the bottom of the heat exchanger. There may be some sort of a hinged-mount for the firebox to keep fuel in fire-box as level as possible.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.