Thread: Ear Mite questions

Default Ear Mite questions

My dog has been yelping everytime I touch his ears. He shakes his head a lot, and I think he has Ear mites. I went down and bought some stuff called bio-groom ear mite treatment to put in his ears, that is supposed to take care of the problem.

My questions are, should I be flushing out his ears, or swabing them. Or do I just put the medicine in there and leave it. The stuff did not say anything about cleaning out his ears after treatment, but I want to make sure he doesn't get an infection.

Any help that can be offered will be appreciated by me, and probably by my dog.

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Ear infections

I did the medications, washing, rinsing for years to no avail. Then somehow I decided to put the old lab on Flexicose, a glucosamine suppliment.

And guess what, no more ear problems. Don't know what is in it, or if it was the cure. But the proff is in the ear.... or lack of in the ear.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

We've tried everything too. We're willing to try anything. Where do you get the Flexicose? Is it a product sold for dogs or humans? Thanks!....Louis

Default It is for pets but

http://www.flexicose.com/flexicose-pets/index.html

Before I was on cholesterol medication I was taking a table spoon plus a shot of Crown Royal and some water every night. It did not bother me at all. The vet said I was fine at my last examination. []

Is it a pain killer, or did it actually get rid of his ear mites?

Default Mites verus ear infection

Usually when a dog shakes his head a lot and yelps its usally an ear infection. Put your nose close to the dog's ear if the smell is really strong and rotten then he has an infection. Don't know what kind of dog you have but if its a breed that has long ears and he gets wet a lot and you don't wipe out or treat his ears then ear infections can result. Some breeds are more prone to ear issues than others.

Default Gone

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Is it a pain killer, or did it actually get rid of his ear mites?
    Something in the medication, vitamins, or something in there helped him. He used to get a skin infections every fall on his belly and that did not appear this year either. All I can do is give observations. He is much happier. Which makes me much happier.

Not sure if it'll help in this case, but I use a homemade ear solution. It's a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (70%), 3 tablespoons of boric acid powder, and 2 teaspoons of glycerine. Shake it up, squirt in the ear canal, massage the outside base of the ear, and let the dog shake out the excess. Works well and everything can be purchased at a local store. You have to ask at the pharmacy for the boric acid powder, but no prescription is needed.

Karen

There I noticed there was a strong smell to his ears yesterday, not a rotten smell, but a smell. I'm not sure if labs have a normal smell to their ears, or if they should smell like the rest of the dog. I just gave him a bath last week, that may be what caused it. I am really careful about making sure he is dry before letting him go outside in the winter.

3CBRS, is this mixture for ear mites or infections?
    Will the ear mite treatment clear an infection, it has a strong alchohol smell to it.

I've only used it for infections & maintenance, so don't know if it'd work for ear mites too. You'd think the alcohol would deter mites, but sorry I just can't answer that one. There are a lot of different "recipes" for ear solutions, but I got this one from an old field trialer. Maybe your dog got a little water in his ears from the bath & the smell is "stuff" growing in there? If the ears have a strong odor & that isn't a yeasty smell, it could be an infection. Might be a good time to call your vet before things get worse, and your dog is already in pain. Hope he's better soon!!

Karen

Mites are a parasite. They cause discomfort to your dog. Main result will be heavy scratching in the affected area and hair loss and raised bumps that may be red or bleeding depending on the area. If your dog is scratching his ears heavily and has opened up sores then it may be mites. If you have a microscope you can take a scrape of one of the raised sores and actually see them. Ivermectin is a good treatment medication for mites. It is given by body weight. Your vet will be able to help.
    But, if there is head slinging and he isn't carrying his head straight then it is an ear infection. There are different types of bacterial infections so one treatment may not work on others. Your vet will be able to detect what type of infection your dog has and prescribe the correct medication to treat that specific infection. Oral antibiotics and a tube of otomax typically will do the trick. Afterwards some routine ear cleaning with the self drying solutions will do the trick.