Thread: 1/2 way to my AK being built!

Default 1/2 way to my AK being built!

Made some major headway! I was selling this kit along with my romanian one. OF course the cheaper one sold first. So realizing that there isnt nobody interested in this thing and also realizing I really wanted this AK I took the leap.

I gotta give Kudos to Netpackrat for the riveting. I was gonna do it with some homade junk but he stepped in with his A&P skills and riveter!

I still have some fitting (and a tad of mig welding) to do to get the magazine fitted correctly but it shouldnt take much.

Then I got to get the barrel pressed back in, thats gonna be lame.

Then Duracoat.

Here is some pics so far.

Tell me more about your project. Are you using a parts kit and making your own receiver?

I am using a parts kit. For those unfamiliar.... They are Demilled kits imported to the U.S. Well used to anyway.... These are no longer available.

So You get this stuff in a box. Its a military AK sawed in Half. You have to drill out the rivets, press the barrel out and de cosmo the thing.

You can either bend your own reciever or buy one ready made Or 80% complete. I chose the 100%, there is alot of tooling and labor involved so I thought 130 bucks on this part was a bargain.

Then You fit the parts to the reciever , they are rarely drop in, and my kit is kind of a rarity and the reciever for it was a modified 7.62 one. After everything lines up you can either rivet or screw them together. I chose riveting for authenitcity and durability.

Then you got to press the barrel in, install the furniture, in my case the folding stock, fire control parts and whalla I got an AK!

This paticular AK is a Yugoslavian M95, chambered in 223, 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel, tritium night sights and a folding stock. Its an unissued unfired AK with all numbers matching. Only 500 of these made it here before the ban. This should turn out to be a real nice AK.

Oh and to conform with the law you must have 6 U.S. made parts incorperated into the rifle. THe reciever is 1, trigger parts (im putting in an adjustable trigger) counts as 3, pistol grip counts as 1 and a U.S. Magazine.

Good stuff, where can you buy the receivers?

Nodakspud.com has the best ones from what I hear. I was really impressed with mine. Hard as a rock and nicely stamped.

Yup, I have built on Ewbanks, Armory, and NoDakSpud receivers, and while all of them build into a fine rifle, the NDS are just plain nicer. And they will do custom serial numbers on most of their receiver models, so you can get it matched to that nice matching numbers kit you bought.

Building from a flat would be cool, but there is a LOT of extra work involved, way more room for error, and it's nearly impossible to duplicate the heat treat in a home shop, unless you have equipment like a knife maker's kiln and the skill to use it. You can still make them good and functional by spot treating the wear points with a torch, but the 100% receivers are better, at the price of some extra money plus having your name in a file somewhere.

well barrel is installed, it was pretty easy. It did not headspace correctly though, I had to press the barrel back out a couple of thousandths. Im gonna have to ream out the barrel pin hole I think and make a new pin. I might actually task stan jackson for this.

Action is smooth as butter and the lugs lock up pretty square for an AK.

So Just gotta do the magazine mods and Ill be on the home stretch for a sweet AK!

Its hard to make out, but that is a M16 style flash suppresor that came with the kit. I like it!

Excuse all the clutter, been busy in the garage lately!