Thread: Halibut on light salmon gear!

Default Halibut on light salmon gear!

OK so I plan on hitting up homer but was looking for some other areas to hit. I have a buddy and his father comeing up in Aug 11-21st and will be able to go to Valdez,whittier,seward, Homer, ninilchik! SO i was hopeing to put them on some Halibut , rock fish, mabey a ling or two. I have a 16' boat so going 8 miles is about as far as Im willing to go unless There are bays to pull into. I figure homer for chickens and seward for rock fish. Annyways guys/gals any help would be great.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Do you have a GPS. There are a few good spots within 500 yards of shore that I hit. Before mid july is the best but they can be fished later with great success. Biggest fish going 143 lbs. Ling cod is going to be almost impossible though out of either Seward or Homer for you.

Default yes

I have a gps! I kind of figured ling would be a low on the list! I thing I will push for fox island out of seward! I figure there should be some good silver fishing and mabey get into some rock fish and a few small butts!!

Default Homer

Try around Yukon Island for some Chix, rockfish and salmon. I've been to the head of Kachemak Bay, it's a long run, but fairly protected. At the end of the Spit the Fish grinder outlet is there. You will see people fishing form boats and shore. There are usually some 'buts pulled out of there every year. Who knows whatelse you might hook into. Remember: fish are where you find them. I wish you the best of luck!

Default Yep

Yukon is always a spot I like to try! The back side is worth a few hours of time.
    Thanks for the info.

Default Butts on the light rod...

I've done it, and it is quite the thrill. Whapping forty pounders on 20 lb. test with a medium wight rod is quite the event. It takes time, but the runs are lightning in your hands.

I saw big smiles on the face of my Kodiak friend when I put him on the transom and told him to do what I had been doing. He is second generation commercial and had never done it.

I'm certain there are locals out there that have exceeded me in bringing them in heavier with even lighter line.

Great memories...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Thats the truth

I have caught 25-35 lb butts on med action salmon gear in 90' of water. It's a blast. I would like to catch some 30lbs in 15-35' of water. I hear it's eveb better when they have to run away from you and not down.

I caught more halibut jigging with a salmon rod than I did with halibut gear last year, the biggest being about 70 pounds. Luckily that one was only in about 40 feet of water. It is more fun fighting a halibut on light gear, just make sure you have someone in the boat capable of helping you finish off the fish.

Before I traded up from a 16-ft boat to a 22-ft boat, I fished halibut from Homer several times/year. There are many spots within 10 miles of the spit you can find them. I just went early, out by 6 a.m and back around noon. The wind picks up fast around noon almost every day and you will be happy if you are back at the harbor before it does.

Good luck.

My first trip out of Homer in small boat last summer, got checked by coast guard right away. While bobbing around in 15 ft of water with a line left out (oversight) and looking up at the coast guard, answering his questions a small Halibut nearly took my pole overboard. The Coast Guard yelled, "fish on" and we landed our first butt. It was only about 5 lbs and was released. The coast guard said go out to 65 ft, we did and my wife and I limited out on 30 lbers. The fish gods smiled on the cheechakos
    NRA Lifetime Member

My nephew was jigging a small piece of cut bait for bottom fish one morning in Bear Trap Bay while we were fixing breakfast onboard the boat. He was using a Striper Special rod and a level wind reel with 17 pound test line on it. He hooked a big fish in 15 feet of water off of a small stream filled with spawning pinks. After much chasing around and a shot from a .410 snake charmer he landed a 115 pound halibut. When the fish was played out it still was nearly more than the line and especially the rod could handle bringing it to the surface to shoot and harpoon.

Default light gear

While fishing for rock bass in Dutch Harbor I hooked a 68lb halibut on my light salmon rod with 8lb test. It took 45 minutes and was a blast. One piece of advice though, make sure you have somebody on the motor ready chase the fish if he starts running. I had to chase the fish two times when I reached the end of the line. They can really run on light tackle and there is no way to stop them. John

There are some good places to fish rockfish in Homer but you have to search for them to find a decent spot. A few that you could get to.

Default Man 115 lb butt on 17lb line

What a kick that would be. I still hope to get my buddy and his father a few in the 50 lb range on light gear. Keep the stories comming, makes me widh it was summer time!!

Talking Light Gear Halibut

Last season my 10yr old son and I were out in our 8ft dingy goofing around fishing for silvers at the mouth of the bay we had the bigger boats anchored in. We were just getting ready to row over to our boat for dinner as my friend and his son had done and bammm! At first I thought it was a big king but then I felt that tail pump through the 12lb mono and thought oh s***. My son's first question was--are you going to shoot him? My answer-- with what! (gun on other boat) Luckily my 10 yr old that is always prepared says I have my pistol dad. ( everyones 10yr old carries his own 41 mag don't they) So after a good fight with the rod and son rowing to keep us near the bay, we get the halibut up to the boat. I shot him just as his head came up so we had the best chance to slow the commotion quickly. After the sound of the shot my friend came out in our other boat. I was sitting very still with a 75# halibut across my lap and both sides of the little boat praying for it not to come back to life before he got there. After we got it back to shore for a few pics sure enough it came to. That was our most exciting halibut story of the season.

Default light gear halibut in March

I caught a 60 lb halibut while trolling around for winter kings yesterday (3/8/08). I wasn't far from shore, and was trolling at 130 ft in 160 ft of water. I was trolling a 3" b-2 squid behind an 11 inch pro-troll flasher. At first, I thought I must have hooked into a big king or something, because the line just peeled off for what turned out to be a nice run. Once the run subsided, I just slowly lifted and reeled down for a while. The dead wait lead me to believe it must have been a halibut, and it was. We were all just surprised to tie into a larger halibut so close to town (Ketchikan) so early in the season. Having a separate boat operator definitely helped. Just thought I'd share.

Quote Originally Posted by mbfree99 View Post
    I caught a 60 lb halibut while trolling around for winter kings yesterday (3/8/08). I wasn't far from shore, and was trolling at 130 ft in 160 ft of water. I was trolling a 3" b-2 squid behind an 11 inch pro-troll flasher. At first, I thought I must have hooked into a big king or something, because the line just peeled off for what turned out to be a nice run. Once the run subsided, I just slowly lifted and reeled down for a while. The dead wait lead me to believe it must have been a halibut, and it was. We were all just surprised to tie into a larger halibut so close to town (Ketchikan) so early in the season. Having a separate boat operator definitely helped. Just thought I'd share.

If you really want to share, Ill give you my address and you can ship me some of that fresh halibut!!!!

Nothing like a tasty suprise when you're out king fishing!

I done well in th kelp bed jigging for rockfish and picking up halibut along the way. Nothing big 15-35#
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK