Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many bows do you own and why?

Default How many bows do you own and why?

Just curious...
    I have one at the moment but I think I NEED another
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

One....because I haven't decided which new one I want at The Archer's Den yet. Once I buy my new one, I may keep the old one in case a friend wants to get into archery.

Default Hummm

OK
    Bear Grizzly recurve - 54 pounds - Have had her since the mid 70's
    Hyot Skyhawk takedown recurve - 56 pounds - Because I wanted to try recurve hunting again
    Custom stick bow - 53 pounds - Because someone thinks I should not be using training wheels
    Pearson Flame wheel bow - Had this one since 1990
    BowTech Pro 40 Dually - Upgraded from the Pearson
    BowTech Constitution - Wanted a backup, set up like the Pro40

Archery is not a passion, it is an obsession.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default 3

Nirk recurve - Great family freind bought it in late 70s and passed it on to me. Hoyt raider My mom and dad bought it for me in 1991 for xmas. Bowtech patriot wife bought me for birthday. ill never get rid of one. Maybe buy another some day. Hillbilly

I have two Mathwes Q2XLH or hunting

One Mathews Icon for indoor shoots.

I bought my second hunting bow this past year. I wanted to take two bows with me to Africa.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have a fair number.... However, they're mostly stickbows I made myself. If I'd get busy, I have about 20 staves under the work bench of various hardwoods waiting to transform into stickbows as well.

I currently shoot a Mathews Q2 for hunting and have talked myself into waiting a couple more years before upgrading, but man I really want to try a Bowtech or Diamond. I still have my old Hoyt, had it for 16 yrs. I used it off and on for bowfishing the past several years but it's pretty much retired now.

My wife has expressed interest in archery, so I'm currently shopping for her. If only my limbs were a lighter poundage, I'd give her my Q2 and get that new bow I keep dreaming about

Default Number of Bows

Just one. Bowtech General. That all I need. I do, however, carry spare strings, cables, rest and sight parts, along with a string/cable changer just in case.

I have 2. A Mathews Outback for hunting, and my old Proline Osprey I use for bow fishing.

Default 2 bows for the Haul RD.

It's good to have two bows going up the Haul Rd. ...Just incase something goes wrong with one of them, you won't have to drive all the way back...unless your up there with a partner, and he's willing to loan you his.

Bows are like underwear, you don't want to borrow your partners. Very hard to find two hunters that can share the same bow and shoot it well. So I would say that if you are good at repairing one, take a portable bow press and some parts. I agree that on a long trip, if you have room and weight take a backup. Gives you a reason to upgrade. I have 2, my go to bow is a Mathews Q2 and my old bow, which is now my backup is a Jennings.

Shoot Straight and Good Hunting

Steve

Default Many

1st bow: Bear Victory 66", 25lbs @ 28"
    2nd bow: Martin Mamba 58", 60lbs @ 28"
    3rd bow: Parker Hunter Mag 37", 60lbs @ 29"
    4th bow: Pearson (?) 58", xx50lbs @ 28"

Would love to up grade my compound, but just don't have the money right now. Nothing wrong with it, just want a little newer one. I really like the Parker line. Think they're sweet shooting bows.

I own zero bows and I'm not sure why. Though, I did recently get 'fitted' for a Hoyt Vectrix which I will be taking home soon. Wanna do the Haul Rd. thing.

Default 2 Mathew's MQ1's

I have 2 Mathews MQ1's both set up the same except for the rests. One has a Muzzy Zero Effect and the other a whisker biscuit. I have 2 cause i work a remote site and got tired of traveling and worried that it would get misplaced or damaged. No plans on buying another bow. I enjoy the 2 I have.

I've got several older recurve "loaner" bows in the mid #40 range (garage sale stuff) & the wife has a couple of nice trad bows.
    Currently I have 3 "personal" bows.

Pronghorn "Fastflight" longbow, 60" & 64# @ 27"
    HH Big Five longbow, 62" & 66# @ 27"
    Fedore "560 TD Hunter" takedown recurve, 54" & 58# @ 27".

Killed my 1st (only so far) moose with the Pronghorn so it isn't going anywhere. Also just "fits" & I can shoot it well.

The HH I have because I love traditional Hill bows, & it's another that I can just pick up & shoot well. It may leave in the near future just for hunting money.

The Fedora is the current sweetheart. I tried several brands of nice recurves over the years & never found one I could shoot consistently as well as my longbows. The Fedora ended that streak.
    I was actually looking for a 60-62" Hill or Pronghorn takedown longbow when I saw the Fedora & decided to give recurves one more try.
    Sure glad I did!!!!!!!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Two Bowtechs

I bought my guardian last January it' s been a great bow

I bought my better half a bowtech equalizer on friday for her birthday. So far she loves it.

Default 1 compound & 1 recurve

Just started in archery 1 year ago. 1st is a Mathews Switchback XT @ 70lbs. Then ~6 weeks ago got a Black Widow PSA in osage, 46lbs so I can learn to shoot a recurve then move up in weight.

One '07 Bowtech Tribute. First bow after 13 years of being away from bow hunting. In about 5 years, this bow will probably become my backup....Until then, a Remington 700 .300 WM is my backup.

I've had as many as ten compounds at one time. Right now I have an indoor target bow, an outdoor target bow, a 3-D bow and a hunting bow...plus a couple spares I have more bows than guns...LOL.. I love bows and love shooting them. I make my own strings and do my own work. I took this year off of target archery, but I will be back in force in 2009.

Why? Why not

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I took this year off of target archery, but I will be back in force in 2009.
    I have taken two years off but will get back into it this fall.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

shoot I just put a downpayment on two more custom bows a few weeks ago now. That should put me up to about 20 bows now. Many are just collectors or have some kind of personal history and I dont want to let them go. There is one I hunt with right now. The two ordered are backups for my current go to bow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast