Thread: First Bou Trip

Default First Bou Trip

Okay, Ive been browsing this place for a while and for the most part gotten a lot of good info. I still have a question or two...
    I'm tryin to plan a trip, drive up from anchorage either the last week of august or first week of september. TYPICALLY, where about are the bou crossing in this timeframe? also, what caliber rifle do MOST of you use, i know we all have our opinion, but are bou tough-skinned or pretty easy to take down? Any other tips for a new bou hunter would be GREAT!!!Thanks guys.

Where are they crossing what? Which caribou herd are you planning to hunt?

There are very few road accessible hunts for caribou, and I can't think of any open to the general public hunting with a rifle in late August/early September....unless of course you're willing to drive the 800 miles up the Haul Road and hike out 5+ miles from the road.

Default caliber

I use a .243 for bou. Light weight, doesn't kick, always drops them on the first shot, never taken a shot more than 200 yards which would be the only reason I'd use a bigger rifle. If you're doing the 5-mile walk in up the haul road, have fun and get on the stair master.

Default bou

i actually was planning on the haul rd. i bowhunt first, the rifle was just a backup idea, hense the reason i asked what caliber, i dont usually need one, but im not gonna drive the 800+ miles and not have a backup plan. so around where do they cross the haul rd the last week of aug and approx where? I know int not exact and you never know, but a rough estimate would really help a first time 'BOU hunter.

Default Just my thoughts

Dixie, smart to have a back up plan--but be prepared, toughest 5 miles that you will ever hump! Where will the bou be?? Do yourself a favor and call the local biologist, he will give you a heads up, also be prepared to compete with other hunters--as the mentality can be every man for himself. I shot my bou north of Toolik last year by about 5 miles away--but I was just off of the road and he died 200yds from the road, so an easy pack. I do know that just north of Toolik road--at the top of a hill and on the right side there is a road that goes in 3 miles--it is blocked off so you can't drive all the way in, but better to hump on that then natures tundra. Several nice bulls taken out of there. Bottom line, have good optics, plenty of money for gas/spares and what nots, have an open mind and let the taking of a bou be a huge bonus--as it sounds simple--but they are very fickle creatures.

Good Luck
    Last edited by gobblinfool; 02-29-2008 at 19:13. Reason: typo

There are sections of the 40 mile herd that are road accessible, if they are around there. The state has a call in number for this herd, and in the fall they update it frequently. If you have a flexible time frame, you can catch this one just right. The only problem is that is a registration hunt and it usually gets closed quickly (after a certain number of bou are killed).