Thread: Tanning Hides

Default Tanning Hides

Does anybody have any information on tanning hides. I here a lot about people that say they are going to tan the hides of their trophy. Would like to here about how you tan hides, different methods, different kinds of commercial products to tan with. Would like to know what worked and did not work good for you. I would like to tan some hides for myself but don't know how. Thanks.

I just started to experiment myself on tanning hides. There are so many articles on the web that explain different techniques used in home tanning. I went with the process of using bran flakes for coloring and battery acid. It is a kinda a hairy process making sure you dont expose any skin to the acid and there are some fumes that come off while your going through the process. I started out with just a few rabbits and I must say for the first time they turned out great. Nice white leather that when hit with a wire brush looks like suade. I learned alot about how neat the fleshy side of the hide needs to be but I will definitely do this again. If you would like the recipe shoot me a pm and Ill send it to you. Good luck

Here is a real good tanning forum.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?board=11.0
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default tannning

just buy one of the kits on the web and follow directions-I home tanned all my hides-including the bou and bear i got last year as well as animals i have trapped-have two foxes that i have in pickling now-before that finished 3 beavers and 2 ermines and one martin. Thin skinned animal like fox, coyote,cats,etc are easy to do at home as the skins are thin. larger animals are more difficult as the skin esp in the middle is thick. Tanneries shave skins to get them thinner and softer. just about all the work is manual labor when fleshing and working the hide. Much cheaper and satisfying to do it yourself.