Thread: Beginner ?'s

Default Beginner ?'s

I have been reading book after book about relaoding. Including the Nosler reloading manual #6, Lee reloading manuel and a couple others . But I have a few questions.

I bought a Lee reloading kit but haven't set it up yet but have been looking over the steps to reloading. Here are some questions.

1. The press shows a shell holder on the ram but doesn't show how it holds the shell holder on the ram. It has a small wire in a groove just under where the shell holder sits. How in the world does that hold the shell holder on the ram? It doesn't show anything in the directions or the manuals about it.

2. How long do you run your brass in a tumbler to get it clean the first time around before sizing?

3. Then do you guys run it through the tumbler a second time to polish the brass after sizing?

I've been on here just about everyday reading what everyone is posting and have learned a lot. But I don't have any buddies up here that reload so I don't have anyone I can watch or call and ask questions. I can't wait to get started but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I get started.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Jarrod

Jarrod,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of reloading. The shell holder is held in by the wire spring when it is pushed into the ram. It can then be rotated to a convenient position.

Cleaning your fired brass takes about 4 hours or over night if they are really grungy. Some cast bullets with some powders make pretty dirty cases. Do not tumble them after sizing, just wipe off the lube and clean the primer pockets with a pocket cleaning tool or a pocket uniformer.

If you're in the Fairbanks area, you're welcome to come over to my nice warm garage and view my set up and watch me load, I load almost every night. I have an extensive set up but you could make good ammo with a rather modest selection of equipment.

What caliber are you going to load for initially? The set up can be different for different calibers. Handgun or rifle, straight or bottle necked, rimmed, rimless or belted, all have certain considerations. I'd be glad to help if you need specific pointers. It would probably help to see a setup before you mount your press, just to make things easier.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

you at Eilson or elmendorf.

I agree with murphy about 4 hours tumbling to clean it up.

don't let the starting of reloading discourage you its not as difficult once you get started.

That is the thing I'm not understanding I can't push my holders into the ram. I'll attach some pictures of what I have going on.

Here is the ram with shell holder sitting on top

Here is ram with open end and shell holder

Here is shell holder sitting on top of ram

Like I said I'm just a beginner, in fact I don't even have it set up yet but am trying to figure everything out. I'm trying to find a nice heavy desk on craigslist or debating building my own bench in the garage.

This all came in my Lee aniversary kit. But I figured the shell holder would slide into the ram some how but that just won't work.

Murphy,
    First of all thanks for the quick reply. I've been reading a lot of your post on here.

Initially I'm going to reloading 325wsm, and 40cal/10mm for right now. But will also be reloading .223, .243 and 45/70 snice those are the guns sitting in my safe right now. But I only have dies for the 325 and 40/10 right now.

Sluice,

I'm on Elmendorf AFB.

On my press instructions sheet it shows the wire on the ram as a "shellholder retainer" but I just can't rigure out how the thing works.

Me thinks you have the wrong shell holders. What brand are they? I bet RCBS shell holders will solver your problem. That's what I use since they work better with my RCBS handprimer.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Me thinks you have the wrong shell holders. What brand are they? I bet RCBS shell holders will solver your problem. That's what I use since they work better with my RCBS handprimer.
    I have the lee shellholders that came with the kit. They are jus to thick to fit in the cut out area. I haven't tryed any other brands of shellholders. I'll have to check that out.

You have the wrong type shell holder. The shell holder you shown have fits the Lee Priming tool.

The shell holder for the ram has a section below that clips right into the top of the ram. Take a look at the lee catalog on line...the gizzy on the far right is what it looks like:

and

hpe that help! Have fun!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post

Using my fancy new calipers. My shell holders measure just under 1/4" thick and the opening in the ram measures just over 1/8" So the shell holders are obviously to thick but are the RCBS shell holders that thin?

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    You have the wrong type shell holder. The shell holder you shown have fits the Lee Priming tool.

The shell holder for the ram has a section below that clips right into the top of the ram. Take a look at the lee catalog on line...the gizzy on the far right is what it looks like:

and

hpe that help! Have fun!!!!
    Thanks Allen I really appriciate the help. Now I just have to find out if anyone in town carries them or if I have to order from Lee on the net.

Thanks again to everyone for their help. More advice is always welcome!

Jarrod

Fireman, Allen-ak is right, the shell holder you show in the picture will not fit in your press. You will need to get the right holders for that and the picture he shows is the correct holder,for the 30-06. I would buy a set, mine are RCBS, as you will need a variety. It is a great idea to watch and learn from someone else if possible. Ask questions, listen and learn. Good luck and happy shooting.

I believe sportsmans warehouse in town carries Lee shell holders. I'm sure RCBS will fit too, can anyone confirm?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Jarrod

I have a bunch I bought from DUG when they went out of business. They are RCBS. If you wan't to come over I'll sell them for a lot less the SW will about $3 each and I'd be happy. I think they will fit your Lee press.

Nice pictures guys, but looks like you had the wrong one from the start.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Yes rcbs holders will fit great. That is what I use.

The flat shell holder is for the priming tool.
    Last edited by RMiller; 04-08-2008 at 13:29.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I have a bunch I bought from DUG when they went out of business. They are RCBS. If you wan't to come over I'll sell them for a lot less the SW will about $3 each and I'd be happy. I think they will fit your Lee press.

Nice pictures guys, but looks like you had the wrong one from the start.
    Thanks for the offer and the help Murphy. I live in Anchorage so I can't just come over. I really do appriciate the offer of letting me come over and watch you and learn the reloading process before I try for myself. If I was in Fairbanks I would have been over tonight. I'm going to check around town and see what everyone is asking. Probably will check SW because I have a couple coupons and the military discount.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Yes rcbs holders will fit great. That is what I use.

The flat shell holder is for the priming tool.
    Thanks for the help and the picture!

Talking Newbie handloader

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman JB View Post
    I have been reading book after book about relaoding. Including the Nosler reloading manual #6, Lee reloading manuel and a couple others . But I have a few questions.

I bought a Lee reloading kit but haven't set it up yet but have been looking over the steps to reloading. Here are some questions.

1. The press shows a shell holder on the ram but doesn't show how it holds the shell holder on the ram. It has a small wire in a groove just under where the shell holder sits. How in the world does that hold the shell holder on the ram? It doesn't show anything in the directions or the manuals about it.

2. How long do you run your brass in a tumbler to get it clean the first time around before sizing?

3. Then do you guys run it through the tumbler a second time to polish the brass after sizing?

I've been on here just about everyday reading what everyone is posting and have learned a lot. But I don't have any buddies up here that reload so I don't have anyone I can watch or call and ask questions. I can't wait to get started but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I get started.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Jarrod
    Jarrod, welcome. I sent you a PM early this morning. I would also be glad to help you out. I am on Elmo also. I live in S. Anch.
    The problem your having is that you are trying to use the shellholders for the Lee priming tool in the press ram. Those aren't interchangeable to my knowledge. Any basic reloading shelholder of any brand will fit your Lee Press. sportsmans, Great orthern Guns, and Mtn View all have some of this stuff. Sportsmans WILL have all the shellholders for your calibers, but the 325 might be a little more obscure down there. It's not a big deal, they can be had a lot of places.
    As for tumbling brass, the guys are right, but there's no need to tumble it when you open the new bag, or when you get done sizing it. The only time to bother with that is when you've shot it and it's sooty, or you have found a couple boxes at the range and it's grimy.

Depending on how clean yout tumblr media is, or the additive, it might not take too long to clean them right up. I usually run mine for a few hours and try to turn it off before I go to bed. 3-4 hours should do fine.

If your looking for a nice loading table, and have 6-8 feet if linear wall space, Costco right now has a huge, laminated block table with 4 inch metal channel legs. I can't remember the price, I begged my wife to get it, but I don't have the space for it right now. It's an awesome table. I would buy it in a heartbeat. Lacking that, if you can go over to the DRMO, or the surplus place off the post road gate, they might have a cash and carry table that the aircraft mechanics use. they are a 6 foot maple laminated block that you can build a table on, or it's complete. Either way, they can hold engine blocks without a problem. Very beefy!

Anyway, check your PM and give me a holler. I would be glad to come over and help you get set up and show you how to get started.
    Mark

Minor point of information: Look at the die set box and it'll tell you which shell holder number to buy ...there's about 40+ different ones and they all basically look the same but fit different cartridges/cases.

Brian