Thread: Situk

Default Situk

Rented both the cabins for Situk in August. I know that Situk is known for the steelies in Spring, but it's not in the cards this year. Hoping to catch some silvers during that time. Does Situk in August seem like a bad idea? Should I be looking elsewhere?? Would love to hear from some experienced members..... thanks.

Weather can be good there then, might be real good for Sockeye and start of Coho:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...m?chart=runjno Good times will be had no matter what (IMO)

Look at the weir info:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...situk_weir.cfm

Thumbs up

Good Choice. We get a huge amount of Silver fishermen here. There will be lots of Pinks, some sockeye left over. I would be suprised if there weren't a few dark kings left then too. Last August people were catching: Dollies, Steelhead, Silvers, Pinks, Kings, and Reds all in one day! Not to mention on the landing strip between the cabins there is a great field of strawberries! You'll have a ball... Good Luck

Default Was there in Sept 07

We went there in Sept of 2007 for a bachelor party. Anyway, we caught some silvers, not quite as many as I would have thought. The best day we had was when the river was crazy high, probably because we were one of two boats out there. Once the river started to drop we finally started to catch the dollies, never caught any rainbows. Still, it was an awesome trip and I can't wait to go back. Lot's of bears, and a very technical river for rowing, you have to pay attention to downstream a lot! The log jams on the river are just sick! Best advice I have is get on the river early and beat the rest of the boats.

If you have any other questions email me. wildalaskaservices@yahoo.com

Steve

If you can get into some wild strawberries you will deffidently like the area. After finding only a few down there this past fall they were simply the best strawberries ever. I only found a hand full but it was around Labor Day.

Default Yakutat

If the silivers are not in the river you could try trolling or mooching in the salt, and bottom fishing for Halibut.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by capt.k View Post
    Good Choice. We get a huge amount of Silver fishermen here. There will be lots of Pinks, some sockeye left over. I would be suprised if there weren't a few dark kings left then too. Last August people were catching: Dollies, Steelhead, Silvers, Pinks, Kings, and Reds all in one day! Not to mention on the landing strip between the cabins there is a great field of strawberries! You'll have a ball... Good Luck
    I agree with kapt.k on this one!! I’ve been to the Situk many times between May and July but have never been in August, it might be a little early for Silvers. The cabins should be good for Dollies, Bows, Pinks, and maybe some Silvers. Most of the Silvers are in the smaller streams in the area, like Opher Creek. Kings were in very short supply last year in the river but next year is anybody’s guess. I stayed at the cabins in June in 2003 and there were so many Kings in the river that we were allowed to keep 3/day (yes 3/day). That had never happened before and we averaged 15/day. You’ll love the cabins, their nice and cozy. About 1/2 a mile up stream from the cabins is the best hole on the river; we call it the bend hole. If there are any Silvers around they will be there. Watch out there is a BIG Griz that lives there, never had a problem with him but I see him every trip down the river.
    A July Day On The Situk:

King caught in the Bend Hole:

Good Luck

TL

Default Rainbows

Don't think about rainbows in the Situk. There aren't any. There may be some steelhead though. Last year was kind of strange, but they were there. I guide for the Glacier Bear Lodge on the salt, shoot me a pm before you come this way, I'll give you a current report. We can meet up for a beer.

The situk has a population of resident rainbows.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Beer batter Halibut

I'm thinking beer battered Halibut with Strawberries for dessert after a good day of Silver fishing. Doesn't get any better.

Awesome vibe Capt.K. Thanks for the encouragement. Really looking forward to the trip now. What is the best way to approach the cabins? Is flying in the method of choice for outsiders? It seems wierd because the airport is only a few miles away.

I've walked to the cabins from the 9-mile bridge before....not so fun.

The trail is fine for the first mile and a half or so, then it kinda drops off. It would be a hell of a haul with all of your gear. Also, it takes FOREVER to get there because you'll be tempted into fishing all the nice looking holes on the way.

You can float to them just fine though, or pony up the cash for a plane.

Default OMG....

OMG...those are some motivating photos. Great info, as well. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
    I agree with kapt.k on this one!! Iíve been to the Situk many times between May and July but have never been in August, it might be a little early for Silvers. The cabins should be good for Dollies, Bows, Pinks, and maybe some Silvers. Most of the Silvers are in the smaller streams in the area, like Opher Creek. Kings were in very short supply last year in the river but next year is anybodyís guess. I stayed at the cabins in June in 2003 and there were so many Kings in the river that we were allowed to keep 3/day (yes 3/day). That had never happened before and we averaged 15/day. Youíll love the cabins, their nice and cozy. About 1/2 a mile up stream from the cabins is the best hole on the river; we call it the bend hole. If there are any Silvers around they will be there. Watch out there is a BIG Griz that lives there, never had a problem with him but I see him every trip down the river.
    A July Day On The Situk:

King caught in the Bend Hole:

Good Luck

TL

Quote Originally Posted by 0976claxton View Post
    Rented both the cabins for Situk in August. I know that Situk is known for the steelies in Spring, but it's not in the cards this year. Hoping to catch some silvers during that time. Does Situk in August seem like a bad idea? Should I be looking elsewhere?? Would love to hear from some experienced members..... thanks.
    Been around there a couple times, and IMO, august is too early for silvers, too late for reds or kings, and just right for a billion pinks...if that's what you're into (I'm not)...I would definitely plan a day out on the salt with capt. k or similar.....

Thumbs up

I like all these ideas! I would float down in drift boats. It's easier to float your gear, than carry it. The Saltwater is my forte, and I wouldn't be here if I thought there were a better place to catch quality fish. The only place I've seen fishing like this is Long Range from Homer, around Shuyak & Afognak islands! PM for more info! Anybody going "fun" fishing has reason to be excited. I do it for a living, and still, I lay awake excited to go!