Thread: Big Agnes

Wasilla, Ak

Default Big Agnes

Anyone have experience with the Big Agnes Seedhouse Superlight series? How did it hold up under extreme conditions? Did it have much condensation? Any info. is appreciated!! It looks like it could be a great tent. It's light so, you could carry on any hunt. It's roomy, for us big guys. It's freestanding, and you have the available speed set-up (fly and footprint) for the summer. Anyone used one?

Default SL3

I purchased a BA Seedhouse SL3 about two years ago, and am pleased with my purchase. I am a firm believer that in the world of gear, no one piece will do it all. That being said, I have found:

- No condensation, as there is more than adequate ventilation (the entire inner wall is mesh)
    - I would not consider it a bombproof/3.5 season tent by any means, but I have had it in light snow and rain and had it in winds of ~30kts without any problems (leaks, failures, etc.)
    - I opted for the SL3 to provide more room (a great size for 2 adults and a bit of gear) and for the extra pole that adds to the strength of the tent
    - I like the color, as I don't care to stand out from ridge lines away
    - I have never attempted the fly/footprint setup (the inner tent is so light, I don't see the benefit in saving a few ounces in this manner)
    - Only has one door, which is fine with me but not for others. A of mine friend has the Emerald Mtn SL3 which has two doors, but weighs a bit more.

So yes, light, versatile and well-made. Great for 3-season backpacking and roomy enough for two car camping. If you are worried about extreme conditions (heavy snow, gale winds, etc) I would look at a 3.5 - 4 season mountaineering tent.

Kesugi Ridge 040Sized.jpg

Pic of SL3 on Kesugi Ridge last June.