Thread: Got another yote on Saturday evening

Default Got another yote on Saturday evening

Well I made a trip the other night to try and find a yote or two here just outside of Seward Alaska. A buddy of mine caught a glimpse of one as it skirted a frozen lake bed about a half mile from where we started. We made the haul across the soft powder in our snow shoes and got into position on the downwind side of the lake from where he saw the yote. There was no sign of the dog still on the ice when we got there so I gave it a few minutes and let out a couple of howls. It was decently late in the evening so I figured I might get an answer. That was a no go as all was silent in the woods. After a few minutes I started going to town on a Sceery snowshoe hare in distress call. I made about a 40sec series and then watched and waited. Sure enough off the far edge of the lake the young male came running out of the edge of alders. He made a bee line across the ice towards where we made our stand. He began to slow at about 80 yards so I lip squeeked a bit and got him coming on full bore again. He again hung up at about 50 yards. It was a little too far for my partner that was shooting a shotgun so I took the shot with my .243. I was shooting 100gr soft points and the young pup didn't stand a chance. I put a pretty big hole in the exit side of the hide. Other than that he was a beautiful dog with nice thick fur. He won't be much of a trophy as far as the hide goes due to the damage, but I'll still tan him none the less.

Very nice and congrat. Coyote in Ak is definitely a trophy.

He'll make an awesome hat.
    Now what ?

Default help

i wanna no a good place to get a yote in the anchorage bowl any1 knows reply

I've seen them close to Anchorage but they seem to be more edjamacated than the small town yote. I've had the experience to fool with some young, dumb, and full off...... yotes on occasion.

Ring King, congrats on the yote.

I've been traveling back and forth from Seward to Anchorage just about every weekend for the past two months. I've seen quite a few yotes off the road between Anchorage and Portage Glacier Road (Whittier). I don't know if the areas near there are open to hunting, but it might be worth checking into. Some of the dogs have been pretty darn close to the road too. Couldn't be too hard to coax em into a decent setup. Just make sure to hunt the wind!!

Default narrow it down please

Between Anchorage and Portage is a long distance with a bunch of private property. Could you be more specific, say between Bird and Indian Valley Rd., or 20 Mile and Alyeska Hwy. Jesse187 and I were thinking this weekend for a hunt. First yote hunt for us, appreciate any help you are willing to give. Send me a PM if you want the info to stay hush hush.

I don't hunt the area so I wasn't being tight lipped or anything on purpose. I don't know the area that well so let's see how this will work.

I've seen one near the very large log cabin that's being built up there just off the highway. I've seen one on the large flat where everyone snow shoes (I think it's just before Alyeska) where you can see the ski lift off in the background. I've also seen a couple just past Portage Glacier road if you're heading south from Anchorage on the snow and ice flats that everyone snow machines on. Basically there seems to be a decent population all along there.

My best advice would be to find the public lands and then spend an evening down there after dark howling in various locations until you get some responses. This will not only locate the dogs for you, but also boost your confidence in hunting a new are by at least assuring you that they are in the general vicinity.

Be careful where you hunt around the portage area, there are gun restrictions around this area so read up on the regs. My best advice to you, if you want to maxmize success off the road is to look for fresh tracks. I've spent too much time calling in areas that, after the fact, I felt I had no adience. If you find fresh tracks there are a few ways to setup a stand. I could go on and on but I think the book I just read sums it up the best, "Hunting the Hunters." I've been calling for three years now but this book led me onto a few new techniques that I hope to try soon. The other predator hunting books I've read were no better than some of the fur hunting forums I have frequently visited. Or you'd be more than welcome to give me a call. I love chatting about calling preds, but banging away such a long post probably won't read the way I want it to.