Thread: 4 wheeler and fishing?

Default 4 wheeler and fishing?

ok folks, sort of a strange request, but here goes. I would like to find a place to get out and do some bank fishing for anything really, but silvers would be great, that we could ride the 4 wheeler into. I plan on trailering to a drop point then riding in, the wife and kids would absolutely love this! looking for something about 2 hrs out of eagel river.
    Thanks for the advice!

A real fun place to ride into is Larson Creek near Talkeetna. It takes 1-1.5 hr to ride in depending on the trail conditions. Unfortunatly they have closed this fishery to Reds already. Typically the last 2 weeks of July are good there. Another place to fish that you could ride wheelers is at Jim Creek in the Butte area near Palmer. You can drive a vehicle in, preferably a truck but there is a lot of room to ride wheelers in that area. There are also some salmon to be had if you look at the posts for this fishery. If you were willing to drive further and weren't looking to keep salmon, you would have a blast on the Tangle Lakes trail system off the Denali Highway. Its a long drive but a real adventure. The trail heads south off the highway and goes to the upper end of the Gulkana River. There are salmon, rainbows and grayling.

Default thanks!

thanks for the advice, exactly what I was looking for, might try that trail to gulkana! fishery!

Question AKBighorn need advice on Denali Hwy.

{If you were willing to drive further and weren't looking to keep salmon, you would have a blast on the Tangle Lakes trail system off the Denali Highway. Its a long drive but a real adventure. The trail heads south off the highway and goes to the upper end of the Gulkana River. There are salmon, rainbows and grayling.}

Bighorn,
    If you'd be so kind, could you give me a little more info on this trip. I've done the Tangle Lake's float numerous times but have never gone up there to fourwheel. Where exactly is the trailhead that leads to the upper end of the Gulkana? Also, are there restrictions on where you can ride? Any info is appreciated.

The trail that I was referring to is approximately 5 miles before the bridge on the Denali Highway at Tangle Lakes. I beleive the trail name is Swede Lake trail as it passes near Swede Lake. Using Mapsource for my GPS the trail only appears to go as far as the lake but it goes much further. As the crow flies it is about 9 miles to the Gulkana and I have been about 30 miles back in to the Alphabet Hills. The trail has one spot that is of some length that is usually wet but looks much worse than it is. I was told to go right through the middle and from my experience when I saw it I thought my buddy was nuts so I went around. On the way back out I went through the middle as I was told and it was much easier. It has been a few years since I was there but it is an awesome ride. If my memory serves me correctly there is a sign at the trail head that askes that you stay on the trails but as I said it has been a while since I was there.

Thumbs up Thanks Bighorn!

I think I'll check it out.

Here is the emergency order opening the susitna drainage for reds

SUSITNA RIVER SOCKEYE SALMON FISHERY RE-OPENED

Beginning Friday, August 11, at 12:01 a.m., anglers may fish for and retain sockeye (red) salmon in that part of the Susitna River drainage that is open to salmon fishing, which is described as Susitna River Units 1-6 on pages 45-52 of the 2006 Southcentral Alaska sport fishing regulation summary.
    Sockeye salmon escapement for the Susitna River, as measured by the Departmentís Yentna River sonar project, has exceeded the lower end of the escapement goal range of 90,000-160,000. As of August 9, 2006, 90,312 sockeye salmon have been counted past the sonar. Since most of the sport harvest of Susitna River sockeye salmon from the Susitna River normally takes place before August 1, the Department projects that fewer than 1,000 sockeye salmon will be harvested as a result of this emergency order.

For additional information contact Sam Ivey, Assistant Area Management Biologist, (907) 746-6300.