Thread: broadheads

Default broadheads

Which is a better broadhead for cutting the magnus stinger straight edge or the magnus buzzcut Im interested on trying one or the other out on a blackie in a couple of months

I have shot moose with both and to tell the truth I could not see any difference in the two. Both moose were about the same size and both shots were through the ribs. Both were complete pass throughs . Get them sharp and I think that either one of them would work for a black bear. I do think that the straight edge is easier to sharpen.

Thumbs up Magnus

I second akdd's post. I shoot the Buzzcuts now because I bought them to see if there was a diffrence. I did see any. I will switch back the the stingers when I loose or break them.

I'm still trying to decide which broadheads I want to go with also. I think I've narrowed it down to the Magnus Stingers or Slick Tricks. The only thing holding me back on going with the stingers is the tip looks like it could break, or easily deflect if hitting something hard, like bone. Am I wrong? I've only seen them through the plastic wrapping, maybe if I got my hands on the broadhead itself, it would seem tougher.

Default Stingers

Stingers are ground to more of a chisel point than a sharp point. Many people who use cut-on-impact will file their bh's to a chisel point. Stingers are a very good cut-on-impact head and I have taken several animals with them. They also have a lifetime guarantee and I can attest to the fact that the company will stand behind the guarantee.

I like ST's but would opt out for the Magnus.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The Stingers have a chisel point that is tough. I do not worry about them bending or deflecting on bone. And as Dave said you can't beat the guarantee. Also send Magnus a picture of you and an animal that you harvested with a Stinger and they will send you a shirt or a hat.

What about montec g5's very solidley built or even some nap spitfire xp's expandables my brother killed his black bear last year at 20yrds. the bear didn't go 20yrds and when we got up to him there was a wicked hole in him

Default When

When I wrote my reply I had moose on the mind. For black bears either will do. I have taken 2-3 bears with Slick Tricks and 2 caribou. They will be fine. Bears are not that tough as everyone makes then to be.

Thanks Dave & akdd, I appreciate your advise. I think I will go with the stingers.

Default Not asked

One thing we did not ask was traditional of compound. If trad = Stingers.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    What about montec g5's very solidley built or even some nap spitfire xp's expandables my brother killed his black bear last year at 20yrds. the bear didn't go 20yrds and when we got up to him there was a wicked hole in him
    Just becareful if you go with the G5's. There is one type
    (forgot the name) that is illeagal to use in Alaska. They considered it barbed.

Other then that one I hve herd many people like the G5
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I use Montec's becuase my bow seems to like em and there is no difference where the Broadhead and Field points are hittin

Default Hooey

In my opinion Buzzcuts are just that. It's a marketing gimmick to increase market share. I say this from experience having used both the Stinger and the Stinger Buzzcut, and I challenge anyone to devise a test where the Buzzcut penetrates deeper than the regular Stingers...not to mention in real life hunting scenarios. With that being said I love Magnus products and their customer service. I can also attest to their warranty, and they've sent me a hat or two over the years . They fly great, are much tougher than most suspect, and they penetrate very well. My favorite flavor is the 100 grain 4-blade Stinger. Although everything I've read has me seriously considering Slick Tricks this year.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by okbowman View Post
    In my opinion Buzzcuts are just that. It's a marketing gimmick to increase market share. I say this from experience having used both the Stinger and the Stinger Buzzcut, and I challenge anyone to devise a test where the Buzzcut penetrates deeper than the regular Stingers...not to mention in real life hunting scenarios. With that being said I love Magnus products and their customer service. I can also attest to their warranty, and they've sent me a hat or two over the years . They fly great, are much tougher than most suspect, and they penetrate very well. My favorite flavor is the 100 grain 4-blade Stinger. Although everything I've read has me seriously considering Slick Tricks this year.

Brent
    God you impress me!!

Default G5 opinion

I tested the G5 Montec's and they flew great and penetrated well........ until they bent. Didn't hit anything hard, didn't graze them off of anything, they just bent. THe main shaft bent and they didn't fly so well anymore.

I'm NOT bashing anyone's favorite broadhead, just adding an observation. I bought a pack to test them and they didn't hold up for me. I'm shooting a bowtech PRO 38 with black knight cams and 84lb limbs. 550 grain arrow @ 267fps going into "the block".

Maybe they weren't made to handle that kind of stress? I don't know. I will say that while they were straight they were very sharp, and shot well.

Steelforce didn't like being shot from my bow either. Amazingly NAP thunderheads hold up well, as do the American Broadhead company "Sonic's" that I'm now shooting. I have run both the thunderheads and the sonics up to 300 fps and they both shoot well and hold together. Even when I punch through the target and bury them into pressure treated 4x4's............. OOPS!!!

Default Barbed Montecs

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Just becareful if you go with the G5's. There is one type
    (forgot the name) that is illeagal to use in Alaska. They considered it barbed.

Other then that one I hve herd many people like the G5
    I believe the Montecs which are illegal under the "no barbed broadheads" law are the expandable Tekans. The blades slide back and lock, creating the barb we're not supposed to use.
    Too bad, they would be great broadheads otherwise.
    Rocky Mtn Snypers are just as good though (I think) and they are legal.

The Snypers are indeed a very good broadhead, probably one of the best mechanical broadheads out there, if not the best. Rocket Steelheads are also good. Opinions vary, and many people like to bash mechanicals, but the truth is they've come a long way, and there are now some good ones available. If you are set on using mechanicals things you should look at are rugged features and a smaller than huge cutting diameter. Although some people are impressed by 2 inch and larger diameter heads I recommend less than 1.5". Penetration is paramount for quick humane kills, and that is an even greater issue with Alaska's larger game.

Although with that being said I stick with fixed blade heads. Over the last 7 or 8 years I have experiamented with a couple of dozen different broadheads, and the truth is I have been able to get good flight with almost every single one. The key is a well tuned bow, which in addition to giving good flight also aids in penetration. BTW, my arrows are flying at 272 fps, not blazing fast but certainly not slow.

Brent

Default broadheads

I definitely think one needs to take the bow into account when choosing a broadhead, and the most important factor is the speed your bow will launch an arrow at. Fast arrow speeds mean that broadheads that have a lot of surface area on the blades will tend to be less forgiving. It might be possible to tune a bow to shoot large-bladed broadheads, but it will generally be easier to tune any bow with smaller "wings" on the front of the arrow.

When I first started bowhunting I ordered about five different kinds of broadheads: G5 Montecs, Wasp Boss SST, Wasp Boss Bullets, American Ti Broadheads, and Magnus Stingers. I also tried several expanpandables:Rockets and the Rocky Mtn Sypers. Here are my experiences, shooting them from a bow at or above 300 fps. I will combine what I learned then with my experiences shooting, hunting with, and tuning compound bows for five years since then. Simply put I've had many opportunities to check my results since the test and have not significantly changed what I found back then, except on expandables. Keep in mind my experiences are based upon shooting a fairly fast 410 grain arrow, and my recommendations for a slower bow, heavier arrow, or older compound or trad bow would be different.

Magnus Stingers: are a great broadhead design, but I found them to be the least forgiving and they gave the largest groups out of my bow. If I were shooting a trab bow my arrows might very well be tipped with these.

G5 Montecs: The thing I like most about these is that they resharpen so easily. All you need is a flat stone. However they whistled quite a bit in flight, and as someone pointed out the central shaft is pretty thin. They grouped better than the Stingers, but not as well as others. However, they have found a good place on my wife's arrows. By the way, the Montecs are legal in Alaska, but the G5 Tekans are the ones that are illegal. The design on the Tekans is smart, but the blades lock back once they deploy making them barbed and hence illegal in Alaska.

The American Ti's grouped well but the tip was poorly designed (not very sharp), and they threaded into my inserts only a few threads. At one point I whacked one that was in my broadhead target with another arrow and the 3 or 4 threads tore out, leaving that broadhead inside of my target. I threw the other one away.

Both of the Wasp broadheads did very well. Of the two the Bullets grouped a bit tighter but I don't hestitate to mix them in my quiver. Yes, these are my broadheads of choice, and have been since the first test. Like I said I've had many opportunities to try others and have never seen a reason to switch. One other thing I like about them is that they are just as good but almost half as expensive (6 for $35) as the other ones. I have killed moose, caribou, and elk with the Bullets.

Expandables: I killed my first to caribou with the Steelheads, and they worked great but have revised my opinion on "over-the-top" deploying broadheads somewhat since then. My reason for this is seeing an elk shot by a buddy of mine at 15 yards. The shot was a quartering away shot, right in the back of the ribs, with a 70 pound Bowtech Allegiance...in short a perfect shot that should have blown right through. The elk went about 300 yards, but when we recovered it it was clear by the 5" gash in the hide that the broadhead had deflected while deploying and spent most of it's energy. In the end the arrow slipped between two ribs and penetrated about 4 " into the ribcage. 4", out of a FAST 70 pond bow from 15 yards...not very impressive. With the perfect shot placement it was enough to kill the elk cleanly through blood loss, but I'm not at all certain that if the arrow had come from 40 yards or from a slower bow that the elk might have never been recovered. Muzzy three-blades and Wasp Boss Bullets both passed through two other elk at 40 yards on the same hunt.

If I didn't have anough Wasp Boss Bullets on hand already I would be tempted to try both the Slick Tricks and the regular old 3-blade Muzzy's. The new Muzzy MX-3 and MX-4's look well designed too, but the price is also higher.

The Snypers deploy with a "sliding back" scissoring motion, and they have a cut-on-contact tip. They fly great (as all expandables typically do) and are not prone to the deflection issue. They are not cheap though, and they are tougher to carry in a quiver without them accidentally deploying, so I pretty much stopped buying them. I have killed two caribou with them, and both of them went less than 50 yards. One concern I might have is that they have a very large cutting diameter. This can be good if you have the energy to drive the arrow deep, but it could limit penetration if you are not flush with energy.

With a little work and proper arrow selection I've always been able to get my broadheads to group exactly with my field points, so my take on broadheads has become that unless I can find a reason to pay more, I'll stick with what I have.

Hope that helps!
    Markus