Thread: .338 Federal

Default .338 Federal

All,

Anyone have any experience/thoughts with the .338 Federal round? Tikka has a left handed offering in this caliber and I am curious, but haven't heard of it before?

Thanks,

Gusto

Gus,

Word has it Federal standardized the 338-08 and gave it their own name. It's a 308 case necked up for the 33-cal bullet.

So it's been around for quite some time as a wildcat, but now it's gone uptown with a fancy headstamp and all.

The 'search' feature up at the top of the page should find you a thread or two where its merits and abilities are extolled.

Default .338 Federal.

Good medium range deer/black bear cartridge. Will probably work fine on 'bou as far as you can hit 'em. 200 yard moose gun for a good shooter. Doesn't like heavy bullets, not suitable for big bears, in my opinion. Application is similar to .358 Winchester, with the exception of limitation to lighter bullets. Badly outclassed by .350 Rem Mag. and .35 Whelen. Good lower 48 gun in timber.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    All,

Anyone have any experience/thoughts with the .338 Federal round? Tikka has a left handed offering in this caliber and I am curious, but haven't heard of it before?

Thanks,

Gusto

I'm fascinated with it, but haven't shot one. Of course, I've been a fan of the 358 since it first appeared in the 50's and currently own three of them.

My only interest in the 338 Federal would be in a small light rifle like a Savage 99. My 99-358 with peep sights is just about the lightest fastest handling gun you can imagine with enough whomp to get attention on both ends using 250 grain bullets.

No 99's are being made any more, so if I'm going to have one in 338 Fed it's going to be a rebarrel. Trouble is, every thime I find a used 99 that might be suitable, I can't bring myself to break it up. In spite of potential seating depth issues, I'm going to make sure that the twist rate is fast enough to shoot 250's though, no matter what twist might be in factory 338 Fed rifles.

Back to your Tikka, if it's small and light I'd jump on it. If it's a standard action rather than a short one, you could get away with seating 250's with their base out to the bottom of the case neck, but that might require rethroating the standard chamber for longer bullets. If the barrel was longer than 22" I'd crop it back to 22, and maybe down to 20.

Bottom line, if the Tikka is a long action rifle with a 24" barrel, I'd figure to spend money to bring out the best in the caliber. If it's a short action with a 22" barrel, I'd jump right on it and use it as-is. I've got no qualms about facing down a bear with a 210 Nosler at 338 Fed velocities, but I want it in a handy rifle. If it's a full sized rifle with a 24" barrel, might as well go ahead and get a 338 Win Mag.

I had a 338 federal in a Kimber with a beautiful walnut stock. I had it long enough to know that it shot good groups but wouldn't feed worth a tinkers darn.

Its long gone now and since I have a good 98 action on hand I'm thinking that I'm going to do it up in 338-06.

If I had gotten my 338 fed. in a Tikka to start with then I'm certain that I would still have it.

BrownBear was right on the money when describing the capabilities of the round!

Default 338 federal question.....

[quote=elmerkeithclone;220419]I had a 338 federal in a Kimber with a beautiful walnut stock. I had it long enough to know that it shot good groups but wouldn't feed worth a tinkers darn.

I have been saving change in a spring water bottle for just over a year thinking I was going to by a Kimber rifle...what attracts me is the match barrel, trigger and chamber and classic stock....Now you got me thinkin about feeding problems....why on earth would Kimber go to all that trouble to produce a rifle that has feeding problems....Does that sound navie...?

I love my Kimber in 338 fed. No feeding problems.

I'm pretty sure the Tikkas are all long action, no matter if its chambered for the 338 win mag or 338 Fed. That said, the T3 Lite is very light and feels very good in the hands. It seems to be a good rifle. Although, I have never fired one, only handled it.

What barrel length are we talking with the Tikka? You've got my attention with the long action and light weight. And didn't you say lefty? That's my song!

I believe 22 3/8" for standard calibers and 24 3/8" for magnum calibers.

Default okay!

That's real promising. Thanks!