Thread: AK first timers

Cold Spring, NY

Default AK first timers

I recently posted a thread about rod cases and recieved many informative replies. Thanks to all, but thanks especially to Bernard Rosenberg, aka Bernard replied and asked if he could call me and discuss my trip, as this is my first, I then Replied to him that I had already purchased two of his books and left my phone number. He surprised me with a call and spent well over forty five minutes in conversation with me going over every detail of my trip to Kodiak. Both of the books are extremely informative and a pleasure to read. If you need some info, both newbie and the experienced ,click on the link above. Thanks for the personal touch Bernard and I'm looking forward to your next book.
    Good luck to all, Jeff

Sarasota, Florida

Default Card of thanks...

Thanks for the comments, Jeff!

All of us all were first-timers, one time or another. Assisting the angler based on what I've learned has been a remarkable inclusion to my life. Alaska offers so much, and at times it can be quite overwhelming for the newcomer to figure out how to narrow it down.

In all my research, I can't remember anyone who regrets the decision to come. Alaska does that to just about all of us, and we keep on coming back.

I am fortunate to have found a way to contribute to all of this. I am working on my third, and I look forward to continue assisting anyone in showing them the way.

Have an outstanding trip to and on Kodiak this summer!

Default there's always more than one opinion....

I think it's great for the author to help out.....I haven't bought the book, but I did read the thread on rod cases:

I wouldn't be caught dead carrying on a fishing rod, and here's why

a) Alaska airlines doesn't charge for them as an extra bag - and though the baggage policy defines "fishing equipment" as a single rod and tacklebox as part of the free allowance, etc., they don't open them up or say what "tackle" is, or look in a rod tube to see if it has one, or two, or three rods -which would hardly matter in terms of weight and not at all in size. I personally use the thing called "sportube", which is square cross-section, has a handle, and is adjustable length. It was designed for skis, but alot of fishing crap fits in one, and it's hard plastic. The airline sometime asks if there's a gun in there, but never rejected it.

b) rod cases don't necessarily fit overhead or underneath seats on all planes

c) alot of rod cases look alike, and if they take them away from you and smush them together in the belly or back of plane cuz they don't fit, there can be mix-ups, or at least a delay in getting it back - which could be enough to miss a close connection. You may have your rod, but the plane and the rest of your bags could end up in some far flung final destination while you sit in the lower 48. Not worth it.

I don't think alaskanauthor is wrong, it's just that there's more than one opinion....and airline policies change one last thing, forget that duct tape idea or any sort of soft case if you do decide to go checked rods - or "fishing equipment" (alaska airlines doesn't allow this, and there is the obvious risk of things coming apart or being damaged)