Thread: Nowitna

Default Nowitna

Drew a '08 moose tag on the Nowitna River. Anyone have any advice for this area? What type of boat would be best? Air transporters for this area? I am having difficulty contacting anyone. PM me if you have info. Thanks in advance!!

Any normal river boat will work, unless you want to go very far above the Sulatna. Lotta traffic on the lower river during moose season. Plenty of guys hunt with the registration permit for that area. Transporters may be YukonEagle Air in Galena or one of the guys out of Fbks. You might look into getting dropped in a lake on the little mud drainage. Lots of burns in there a few years ago. Very little hunting pressure in there. Talk to the bio in Galena.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Willow Air out of willow, ak used to fly people in there as did Susitna Air. I have notes of drop off and pick up points in my map book from them. You can land a beaver on the river as well as get picked up on the river. Contact willow air, susinta sold and paul started flying with them again, not sure if he still does as of today.

Yukon eagle air is not flying this year he's moving to Africa for a couple of years.

MTAK.............which permit did you drawand whjat area of the river is it for?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If you are hunting above the Little Mud I know of a great hunting camp that has a nice cache that contains a kitchen that will stand in front of a wall tent (the frame for the wall tent is already there, chairs, a few buckets, can of nails, safty wire, 550# cord, a yukon stove for the tent, toilet seat, and a nicely aged 1/5 of pepermint schnapps. Also located near the camp is a 16' lakeboat and 2 12 canoes.
    If you would like to know where it is at PM me. The only stipulations are that you put everything back and you may not cut down the big spruce tree that sits in the middle of the camp it is easily recognizable because about 12' up the tree you can see where 2 10 year old kids carved their name in the tree 25 years ago on their first moose hunting trip.

Quote Originally Posted by LastSplash View Post
    If you are hunting above the Little Mud I know of a great hunting camp that has a nice cache that contains a kitchen that will stand in front of a wall tent (the frame for the wall tent is already there, chairs, a few buckets, can of nails, safty wire, 550# cord, a yukon stove for the tent, toilet seat, and a nicely aged 1/5 of pepermint schnapps. Also located near the camp is a 16' lakeboat and 2 12 canoes.
    If you would like to know where it is at PM me. The only stipulations are that you put everything back and you may not cut down the big spruce tree that sits in the middle of the camp it is easily recognizable because about 12' up the tree you can see where 2 10 year old kids carved their name in the tree 25 years ago on their first moose hunting trip.
    Chances are, that is long gone. The Feds have been real busy the past few years burning and destroying all the old camps and cabins. They left one cabin at the forks, and that is where they place their lookouts for the moose season. An airboat is the best boat for using on that river. The largest moose seem to be congregated at the headwaters, above the forks. The lower reaches of the river are timbered up and the most productive time to hunt that area is later in the season. The upper reaches are all open and you can spot and stalk. I suggest the upper reaches, but others like to hunt timber.

What area your permit is for will define your needs. The river is often navigable by prop as far as the Sulatna. Above that it is a role of the dice. We have been hunting around the Mud since 1980. You do not need an airboat to run most of the river, and certainly not the lower part, as a jet will do for most of the shallow water higher up.
    The Sulatna is about 90 miles up from the mouth and the Mud a bit further (give or take, I don't have my map or travel log with me) to give you an idea of the gas needed to get there.
    Be aware that there are proposed changes to the whole Novi River system. A proposal is being considered which means the season may be shortened, and there may be new limits on antler size, i.e. spike/fork and 55".
    Pressure decreased on the Novi several years back with the introduction of the current restrictions. Gas costs added to the reduced flow of traffic on the river. The presence of Rural hunters above the Sulatna has been virtually non-existence since we started hunting up there. Approximately 4 years ago water levels were low enough that we had to camp at the Sulatna. All boat traffic above that was limited. Wolves, which we used to hear regularly, and see often, are rarely heard the last few years. And to add to all of that, it does not appear that there is any good current data by the Fed or ADF&G from aerial population density surveys.
    With all of that said, we can only surmise that the proposed restrictions are supported by the Fed to further retrict access and hunting especially by Urban hunters.
    I do not know if the changes occur how that may affect the drawing. I hope that you are able to enjoy your hunt on one of the prettiest rivers in Alaska.

Default Sulukna River miles??

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but since some of you guys know the area well, how many river miles from the mouth of the Yukon is the Sulukna River??? Thanks.

Every moose hunter should go up the Novi once the river is that beautiful. I miss going up there but the hunting pressure was rising and it started to take the fun out of the trip. The main reason my dad started to hunt there was because there was almost no hunting pressure. It was nice when we were out there for 2 weeks and during that time you might see 2 or three boats come by, and for the first week of the trip no one was allowed to shoot a moose because that would disrupt the agate picking and mamoth fossil finding.
    If the Feds found my lake boat and canoes they spent a lot of time beating the brush because they are not all in one place, they are all above the highest water level mark out there and they are several hundred yards outside the camp,they are stashed good enough that even Alex could not find them, at least that is what he said when we asked him.

I drew a Nowitna tag (DM806) this year, and I own an 18' prop skiff and a 22' C Dory. The C Dory doesn't draft much, sips gas, and is a generally comfortable ride. I also don't mind getting it a bit messy in pursuit of moose... That said, am I crazy to think of running the lower Nowitna in a 22' glass boat in late September?

Default lower river mud

300 Ultra, Most of the lower Novi has a muddy bottom. Not all, but most. Typically you can tell where rocks might be by seeing them on a hillside running into the water.
    The river is not ideal for fiberglass, but you can get up a ways. There is a shallow spot just below the FED cabin on the left going up (35-50 mile?), but again don't have my trip log to be able to give you the exact spot. That place can be a bugger to get through with a river boat.
    You could find a place to camp lower, and then use the skiff to run back and forth. The skiff will be more useable with a jackass lift, but again, take it easy and idle through the shallower areas.
    The Novi can rise and fall a lot when it rains. I have seen the water come up several feet in a matter of a day or so. Don't get suckered into going up too high with the C-Dory and then have the river drop again.