Thread: Where do we draw the line.....

Thumbs up Where do we draw the line.....

when it comes to light weight gear? I certainly try to go as light as I can but there are 2 things that I won't sacrifice when it comes to weight, my tent and sleeping bag. IMO these 2 items are the most important pieces of gear a person can take on a hunt. I can find other areas to cut weight and still be under the 50-60 lb maximum weight most air charters require. So where do you draw the line?

Eastern Oregon

Default my line

I draw the line on optics and camera. Leica binos and scope and a 3 1/2 lb video camera are things I won't leave home without. Oh, and my full length thermarest.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I draw the line at a sturdy backpack, something that can handle the brush. I also like to have a decent 1st aid kit ever since I tweaked my knee one trip. Last summer I managed 32 lbs. for a 3-day hike, and that included my gun & water. I remember going with 24 lbs. on a similar trip a few years ago, and have no idea how it got so light. I think the food you pack makes a huge difference.

Juneau, Alaska

Default Minimal Gear

I agree on the tent and sleeping bag. I think a 4 season top quality tent is a must for any remote travel in Alaska and it is nice to be warm inside it especially when stranded. Weather can just change so fast and accidents and strandings happen.

Eagle River

Default A good night's sleep

I too agree with the thoughts above.

I started packing a bigger, self-inflating sleep pad 2 years ago after talking to a friend about how to lighten a pack - what to sacrifice, etc. When we got to sleep pads, I told him what lightwt pad I used, but he said, "Not me man. When it comes to sleeping, I pick the biggest cushiest pad I can find". Cold spots, sliding off the pad - are no longer issues. More trouble to pack, but I sleep great.